Review of Worldmaker of Yand - Yildun

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Saint Bruno
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 192
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-saint-bruno.html
Latest Review: The vampires missing cape by Steve Stables
fav_author_id: 2484

Review of Worldmaker of Yand - Yildun

Post by Saint Bruno »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Worldmaker of Yand - Yildun" by Andri E. Elia.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Worldmaker of Yand - Yildun follows the adventures of Yanara, a very powerful humanoid with the ability to 'bend' the world and even cause one of the moons in her planet to go missing. Planet Yand is home to Yanara and other humanoids, and they all must protect themselves from alien invaders.

For Yanara to thrive, her mother had to die, as there could only be one of her kind on the planet. Now, Yanara is also pregnant with a daughter. Is it possible for Yanara and her daughter to coexist on Yand? And is Yanara's power enough to rid Yand of the aliens that seek to destroy them? Amidst the fight for survival and Yanara's seemingly bleak future, she, her husband, Frost, and her female spouse, Mandolen, must work together to protect their planet while raising their unconventional family.

This title is the first book in the Worldmaker of Yand series. The author, Andri E. Elia, uses the first-person point of view (Yanara's perspective) to narrate the story. I enjoyed this style because it helped me appreciate the protagonist's character and understand her moves. The tale explores a fantasy world of winged humanoids, tech-savvy aliens, mages, dragons, unicorns, and characters with inherent supernatural powers like telepathy. Hence, readers who enjoy such would enjoy the story.

My favorite aspect of this book is how the author vividly describes the characters and their surroundings. Anything less than an excellent job in that regard would have made the story hard to understand. So I am glad the author didn't disappoint. I enjoyed how she provided graphic descriptions of the characters, especially the main ones, making them easy to imagine. Also, there are a few pictures of them that readers would appreciate.

Furthermore, the author's writing style is simple and easy to understand. The narration flows freely and is devoid of any ambiguities. The author indicates the characters' names in dialogues, making conversations easy to follow. I also enjoyed the aura of suspense that followed the narrations because it sustained my zeal to keep reading the book. In addition, the characters are unique, and I especially liked Yanara due to her spontaneity and bravery.

Nevertheless, I didn't enjoy how the story often strayed from the main plot towards narrations that, in my opinion, didn't add much to the tale. For example, I perceived some of the narrations about Yanara's marital entanglements and even the romantic relationships of other characters as unnecessary. Perhaps an adaptation of the book into a motion picture could make that aspect more appreciated. But as it is, I didn't enjoy the time it took to return to the main plot. Also, I found more than ten editing errors in the book, of which some were very distracting.

In conclusion, I am rating the book three out of four stars. The issues I noted above, unfortunately, cost it a star. The story is intriguing, and I especially liked how the story ended because it made me eager to read the next book in the series. The author's writing style is also exciting, and I love the bits of humor throughout her narrations. Hence, the novel doesn't deserve a lower rating. I recommend this title to adults who would enjoy a fantasy story about a planet defending itself from aliens, especially one with a powerful female protagonist and some romance in it.

Worldmaker of Yand - Yildun
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
José Cortez
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 124
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jos-cortez.html
Latest Review: Beyond the Golden Door (Audiobook Version) by Ali Master

Post by José Cortez »

It really helps when authors add pictures to aid reading and understand.
Taana Ueh
Currently Reading: Rise of the Savior
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-taana-ueh.html
Latest Review: No Dark Clouds by R W Nelson

Post by Taana Ueh »

It'll be interesting to find out if Yanara could successfully coexist with her daughter. Great storyline.

Thanks for the review.
Nqobile Mashinini Tshabalala
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Happy Healing
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 301
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nqobile-mashinini-tshabalala.html
Latest Review: Alpha Buddies Land by Donna Marie Rink

Post by Nqobile Mashinini Tshabalala »

Taana Ueh wrote: 26 Dec 2021, 06:25 It'll be interesting to find out if Yanara could successfully coexist with her daughter. Great storyline.

Thanks for the review.
I'm also quite curious to find out. I mean, Yanara's mother had to die and leave her daughter behind. How will Yanara escape this fate?
Documented history is a gift from the past to the future! - NqobileM
NetMassimo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Star Maker
Bookshelf Size: 426
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: The Ripsons by Joe Morrow
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 36%

Post by NetMassimo »

This seems like a sophisticated story that blends different elements in an engaging story, so I hope the author does another round of proofreading to make it excellent. I'll look into this series. Thank you fo ryour great review!
Ciao :)
Massimo
Nwadinso Okoro
Currently Reading: Killing Abel
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nwadinso-okoro.html
Latest Review: The Toki-Girl and the Sparrow-Boy (series) by Claire Youmans

Post by Nwadinso Okoro »

I love the book cover design, it gives me an idea of what the book entails. The book involves the adventures of Yanara, a humanoid, and her determined quest to save her planet from alien invaders. I would love to know how her adventure ended. Thanks for your review.

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”