Review of Parachute Minds

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Sarah Schmidt
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: The Vine Witch
Bookshelf Size: 271
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sarah-schmidt.html
Latest Review: First Survivor by Mark Unger

Review of Parachute Minds

Post by Sarah Schmidt »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Parachute Minds" by Jeremiah Sanchez.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Parachute Minds: Leap of Fate, written by Jeremiah Sanchez, is the first book in the gripping new science fiction series, Parachute Minds. Gideon Green had just charmed his would-be robbers, Abraham and Tess, while hitchhiking on his way to the Los Angeles International Airport. At the airport, he notices that he is the focus of a cryptic stranger, who soon mysteriously disappears. Unfazed, he continues to his destination. He then climbs the Auyantepui Mountain, a physically demanding feat, only to encounter the same stranger as before, who he names Traveler. Traveler poses a challenge to Gideon, which he readily accepts. The victor of their wager surprises Gideon, who has found himself a whole new adventure with Traveler’s explanations of the potentials of light and desire to complete the fourth phase of human exploration. The two journey to other worlds, meeting a warrior princess, Dumakleiza, and her pet Cooby, then later Timrekka, a dwarf scientist, to fill Traveler’s quota of three recruits. They plan to make their way back to Whewliss, Traveler’s home planet, to prepare for the fourth phase of human exploration.

I seem to love the crazy protagonists with mysterious and unexplained pasts, and Gideon is no exception. Unorthodox doesn’t touch the sole of his well-adventured boots. He’s a thrill seeker, with a bag of souvenirs to match. I love how he ends each meeting with different people, especially the words he says in parting: May death not find you sleeping. There’s a flipside to his characterization, though. It seems his chipper personality requires great sacrifice; he frequently self-mutilates. There’s an abrupt swerving off the happy-go-lucky path to a nearly traumatized type of desperation that left both me and the other characters baffled. Those who find self-harm triggering should watch out for this.

As soon as the story kicks off, with one of the oddest interactions ever, I knew I found another world to feed my literary escapism. The world-building is of a decent sort, delving deep into the elastic nature of light. The characters are able to perform light jumps by taking light shots, with cool gadgets borne of this advanced technology. The humour was on point—both the bad jokes and the good. Gideon trying to teach alien species American slang had me cracking up several times.

I absolutely loved the little things about the story. There are jousting with sea serpent-like creatures called faihrgrreys, cavemen that beat their chests for the right to mate, pirate-knights called vaguilemen with a motherlode of superstitions, and an absolutely lovable, murdering monkey-like creature, a tanion, called Cooby, who joins the main characters on their adventure as Dumakleiza’s pet. Planets are named Cul, Borroke, Thamiosh, and Whewliss, with inhabitants at different stages of evolution. Sanchez has a way of writing in hypotheticals, forcing readers and characters alike to question reality, as well as the seemingly limitless capabilities of both the universe and light.

I admit to being a teeny-weeny bit suspicious of Traveler’s end goal. Their aim—what’s beyond the fourth phase—looms dark and foreboding. It’s not explained much beyond vague wording by Traveler, and I can’t help but feel that Whewliss is planning to use the three recruits as expendable guinea pigs. The sequel to this book, Light Switch, should go into more detail, so see me here between these lines, waiting with bated breath.

Despite all these good things about the book, it had one shortcoming. There were a significant number of errors that led me to assume that this book has not been professionally edited, and it can be said to be my only true dislike of the story. The profanity that was present was infrequent and minor, so this shouldn’t be a deterrent to anyone’s desire to pick up this novel. The religious or spiritual aspects that were present were varied and, arguably, not instrumental parts of the book.

I give Parachute Minds: Leap of Fate a rating of three out of four stars. I’m going hard for this book—in case my fangirling above did not make this explicitly clear. That being said, the editing quality warrants a deduction of a star from the final rating. Otherwise, I recommend it to lovers of science fiction featuring interplanetary travel. Those who love an eclectic mix of characters, with a main lead whose personality is refreshing and so courageous that it borders on madness, should definitely add this book to their shelves. If you find it hard to keep up with constant location changes, a relatively large number of characters, and theoretical scientific possibilities, then this book is not for you.

Parachute Minds
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Brenda Creech
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Mary Pat Ferron Caines
Favorite Book: The Reel Sisters
Currently Reading: Rainbow’s End
Bookshelf Size: 357
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-brenda-creech.html
Latest Review: Was She Crying for Me? by Jerry Hyde
fav_author_id: 253250

Post by Brenda Creech »

I am not a sci-fi fan, but your review makes this book sound so interesting! I probably wouldn't be able to keep up with all of the characters, but they sound like they are all relatively important to the plot. I do enjoy a book with humor. Thank you for the great review!
B. Creech
"Like beauty in the eyes, the divinity of the rose may be in the nose that smells it, and the lover that beholds it." Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
Rooom
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Rooom »

Even if science fiction is just an illusion and imagination, there is no reality in his pocket, but he has something called passion, and I am a fan of science fiction.
José Cortez
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 124
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jos-cortez.html
Latest Review: Beyond the Golden Door (Audiobook Version) by Ali Master

Post by José Cortez »

Gideon is an interesting character. May death not find us sleeping, indeed.
NetMassimo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Exit Strategy
Bookshelf Size: 429
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: The Ripsons by Joe Morrow
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 41%

Post by NetMassimo »

This seems like an intriguing science fiction novel with well-developed characters, so I hope the author does another round of proofreading to make it excellent. I'll look into this series. Thank you for your great review!
Ciao :)
Massimo
Nwadinso Okoro
Currently Reading: Killing Abel
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nwadinso-okoro.html
Latest Review: The Toki-Girl and the Sparrow-Boy (series) by Claire Youmans

Post by Nwadinso Okoro »

Gideon Green is an interesting character who has a good number of tricks within his sleeve. The book delves into his challenges as he embarks on an adventurous journey with the Traveler. Their adventure helps them to meet different people and have diverse experience. I think this book would be a good read for me. Good review.
Walter R
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 43
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-walter-r.html
Latest Review: Cynthia and Dan by Dorothy May Mercer

Post by Walter R »

Have always found science fiction to be quite intriguing and able to stir my imagination. This book certainly seems to possess such quality. Will love to try it out.

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”