Review of Kilmer's Ghost

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Bradley Shelvie
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: Vagabond
Bookshelf Size: 120
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bradley-shelvie.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Review of Kilmer's Ghost

Post by Bradley Shelvie »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Kilmer's Ghost" by Joe Lyon.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

King Leopold is sweeping through the villages in the Mid-Run Valley in a deadly conquest. He is killing anybody standing in his way and plundering and destroying the villages to bring everyone under his control in Kilmer’s Ghost: Astar’s Blade by Joe Lyon. King Leopold is aggressive and brutal, and he is not giving up any time soon.

Darius Plum is the son of Justus Plum, the executor of the wealth of the Plum family. Darius is miraculously saved by Hollow Face, and he helplessly watches his father being burned alive and his mother and sister put to death by the sword under King Leopold's command. (Hollow Face is the spirit of Darius's grandfather, Fortis Plum, who was blessed by the God of Day, Heironomus, to live forever.) He is taken by River Plum's currents to Ehlona's Orphanage. There, he grows under a false identity into a secretive but likable man seething with a silent and deadly desire for revenge for the family and friends King Leopold killed. However, behind all these events, the mischief of the Gods is at play.

This is the second book in the Astar’s Blade Epic Fantasy series, and it is the darkest fantasy novel I have read so far. I enjoyed the thrill the book comes with the most; I love books with dark themes. We are taken through gruesome and blood-chilling scenes of death in the creepy and haunted Sanguine Forest, where ghosts linger within the walls of the Orlo Castle, and human skeletons and skulls are strewn all over. You are always on the lookout for what may spring out from behind the trees at any time and have to keep up with the terror brought by black magic. You look on as the 'Demonics' rip off flesh from the helpless victims being feasted on. The book is a mix of freaky horror (especially the scenes in the Sanguine Forest), bloody wars, and nerve-wracking fantasy, all of which are amazing to read.

I also love how the characters are constructed, but I've specifically fallen in love with Darius Plum, who would come to be known as Kilmer for most of the book. Kilmer is an ace who knows how to put the surrounding situation to his benefit. He is very clever and in various instances has to live a lie and join forces with his enemies to save his life. He is also brave and strong—he goes into the dreaded Sanguine Forest to save Yori, King Leopold's first archer who was abducted by the Zorn, despite the creepy stories surrounding the forest. I don't think there is any other character who could survive the torture and torment Kilmer went through in Castle Orlo; neither Yorri nor some of the people in the search party he went with survived it.

There is nothing I dislike about the book save for Monticello's background which I haven't understood. Unlike other Langula's demons, who we know were formed by a mixture of reproductive materials and blood from men like Kilmer and Laws, we know nothing about how Monticello came to be. Also, the book follows tropes evident in fantasy novels—it has witches, gods, conquests, extraordinary powers, and magic, but this isn't so much of a bother.

Despite not understanding Monticello's roots, I rate the book 4 out of 4 owing to its thrill, amazing character development and the wonderful narration in it. The book seems professionally edited, but there are several errors.

The book will be a perfect read for those who enjoy books with dark fantasy. If you are sensitive to graphic scenes, this book has cruel murders written in detail and creepy scenes that will trigger you, so you would want to look for another book.

Kilmer's Ghost
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Do the things you love and you'll love the things you do :techie-studyingbrown:
José Cortez
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 124
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jos-cortez.html
Latest Review: Beyond the Golden Door (Audiobook Version) by Ali Master

Post by José Cortez »

The gods see us as nothing more than pawns in their games of power. Thank you for this amazing review.
Ghuddie
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ghuddie.html
Latest Review: Better Angels Lesley Gore Dusty Springfield by Linden Lelievre

Post by Ghuddie »

Dark fantasy books do not interest me, but I'm sure fans of that genre will enjoy this one. Great review.
Nwadinso Okoro
Currently Reading: Killing Abel
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nwadinso-okoro.html
Latest Review: The Toki-Girl and the Sparrow-Boy (series) by Claire Youmans

Post by Nwadinso Okoro »

The plot of this book is quite unique. King Leopold has no one to restrain him from his murderous act and he doesn't stop because he has an aim. There is always a consequence for an undue action. I would love to know if Darius had his revenge in the end. Thanks for your review.
NetMassimo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Flinx's Folly
Bookshelf Size: 419
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: Three Bullets by Charles Alexander
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 26%

Post by NetMassimo »

Maybe this novel is too dark for my taste but it seems intense, engaging, and well constructed. I'll look into this series. Thank you for your great review!
Ciao :)
Massimo
John Owen
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: Baggage
Bookshelf Size: 149
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-john-owen.html
Latest Review: The Face of Fear by R. J. Torbert
2024 Reading Goal: 52
2024 Goal Completion: 111%

Post by John Owen »

It is seemingly an intense and engaging book. I like the dark fantasy too, and the plot looks enticing. Nice review!
Harmony in chaos. It's all a matter of perspective.
Rayah Raouf
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rayah-raouf.html
Latest Review: The Heart of the World by Michael Tillotson

Post by Rayah Raouf »

I LOVE dark fantasy! This sounds right up my alley. The fact that you gave it a good rating as well makes it sound even more promising. I am extremely interested in this book and I am adding it to my tbr for sure.
Memories are dangerous things. You turn them over and over, until you know every touch and corner, but still you'll find an edge to cut you.― Mark Lawrence, Prince of Thorns
Janelydia Mwangi
Currently Reading: Bugs, Weeds, and Water
Bookshelf Size: 68
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-janelydia-mwangi.html
Latest Review: Surviving Life As An Actor by Jerry a. Greenberg
Reading Device: Android

Post by Janelydia Mwangi »

The review is so educative, the fantasy employed takes us to a world of imagination and creativity. Good work
janeadika
Currently Reading: The Fort
Bookshelf Size: 26

Post by janeadika »

The gods see us as nothing more than pawns in their games of power. Thank you for this amazing review.
Nwadinso Michael
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 59
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nwadinso-michael.html
Latest Review: Mon Cheri by Spare Time Novels

Post by Nwadinso Michael »

I think this book would be a good read for me. The book involves two major characters, King Leopold and Darius plum. Leopold is a reckless king and Darium plum is a victim of the acts of king Leopold. I love the plot and storyline of the book. Good review.
God is a Poet and he taught me how to hold my pen.
The Holy Grail
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-the-holy-grail.html
Latest Review: Wild World by Peter S. Rush

Post by The Holy Grail »

Your review makes me want to read the book. It seems a wonderful read from how you describe it.
Essy moonlight11
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-essy-moonlight11.html
Latest Review: Bluewater Walkabout by Tina Dreffin

Post by Essy moonlight11 »

Seems I should get ready to have my skeletons scared out of my skin. I love such books anyway. Nice review!

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”