Review of Lady Silver

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
PeterRabitt20
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Verity
Bookshelf Size: 127
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-peterrabitt20.html
Latest Review: The Power Of Our Inner Gremlins by Suzanne Daplyn

Review of Lady Silver

Post by PeterRabitt20 »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Lady Silver" by Bobbie R. Byrd.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Emperor Ahlaric dominates over the inhabitants of the known galaxy. Under his oppressive rule, humans are elevated in status while warlocks are enslaved. Mandated to wear magic-blocking collars, warlocks are stripped of their birthright to access the Flow—the source of the universe. The emperor’s ruthless Admiral Bastion enforces the law by executing offenders without question. His merciless reputation and loathing of warlocks precede him. In an act of rebellion, Bryanna D’Isaac and her autonomous android challenge the admiral's command.

Unbeknownst to the emperor, Bastion decides to keep Bryanna and her power a secret. But, how long can he hide a silver-aura warlock? Already, her connection to the Flow is felt by warlocks throughout the realm. What will be Bryanna’s fate with this heartless admiral?

Lady Silver is a blend of sci-fi and fantasy, engulfed in a slow-building romance. Bobbie R. Byrd’s first installment of the Warlock Chronicles series is teeming with corruption, powerplays and murderous schemes.

The characters are artfully constructed and a strong positive aspect of this book. Byrd spices her concoction by creating the right type of players; the sanctimonious Alpha-Transcendent, a pampered leader, and a council of hungry politicians. All of them vying for control over Bryanna. Some characters had no shame, and the backstabbing drama felt like an episode of Succession. I never knew who would surprise me next. Thankfully, the protagonists provide a welcomed balance yet enhance the deceitfulness of the antagonists.

However, my ultimate favorite is Emperor Ahlaric—I know, I don’t go for the obvious ones. His role as a flighty monarch played out like a Broadway theater. He always made a grand entrance with his pouts and pains. Not to downplay the other cast members, but the emperor’s “drama queen” rants were hilarious.

Another positive aspect is the plot which never slows its pace; for instance, the romance between Bastion and Bryanna simmers without losing steam. There are other worthy mentions, such as the attention to detail and the command of sci-fi lingo. In particular, Byrd is selective with her descriptions and keeps them from being overwhelming—something I find to be a problem with many books of this genre. Anyone worried about this issue can rest easy that it is not the case in this book.

I disliked nothing about Lady Silver and found no negative aspects. Therefore, I rate it a well-deserved 4 out of 4 stars. There were a few minor errors, so I believe that this book is professionally edited. I feel encouraged to seek out the next book in the series, if only to track Bastion's and Bryanna's fling. Moreover, the author’s passion for writing truly shines—her science teaching experience (and freelance writing) has paid off.

I highly recommend it to readers shy about this genre: The scientific elements are easily understandable. Fantasy readers will find another addictive romance that is original and flirtatious. Also, I recommend it to enthusiasts of otherworldly stories, such as The Mandalorian. There is profanity, drug use, violence and some sexual content; therefore, I do not recommend it to sensitive audiences who take issues with these topics.

Lady Silver
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on Smashwords
José Cortez
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 124
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jos-cortez.html
Latest Review: Beyond the Golden Door (Audiobook Version) by Ali Master

Post by José Cortez »

It looks like I am going to enjoy reading this book. Thank you for the amazing review.
PeterRabitt20

Post by PeterRabitt20 »

Pencrafter wrote: 01 Jan 2022, 10:33 It looks like I am going to enjoy reading this book. Thank you for the amazing review.
I hope you like it. Thanks for stopping by!
Uzooms
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 6
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-uzooms.html
Latest Review: Cat Detectives in the Korean Peninsula by R.F. Kristi

Post by Uzooms »

As a lover of fantasy books. I would look forward to reading this one. I enjoyed your review.
Francis Aderogbin
Favorite Book: Money Faucet
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 189
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-francis-aderogbin.html
Latest Review: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures by Catherine A. Pepe

Post by Francis Aderogbin »

Your review on this book is so on point that I am considering reading it soon. Kudos to you.
Bridget Gabriel
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Bridget Gabriel »

The review on this book is amazing I can't wait to start reading it
PeterRabitt20

Post by PeterRabitt20 »

Uzooms wrote: 05 Jan 2022, 13:38 As a lover of fantasy books. I would look forward to reading this one. I enjoyed your review.
I think you'll enjoy it. Thanks for your comment!
PeterRabitt20

Post by PeterRabitt20 »

Bridget Gabriel wrote: 07 Jan 2022, 13:09 The review on this book is amazing I can't wait to start reading it
Hope you enjoy it as much as I did! Thanks for dropping by!
PeterRabitt20

Post by PeterRabitt20 »

lumenchristi wrote: 05 Jan 2022, 14:09 Your review on this book is so on point that I am considering reading it soon. Kudos to you.
I appreciate your comment. Thanks for taking the time to read my review!
Nwadinso Okoro
Currently Reading: Killing Abel
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nwadinso-okoro.html
Latest Review: The Toki-Girl and the Sparrow-Boy (series) by Claire Youmans

Post by Nwadinso Okoro »

This book has a galactic theme within it. It delves into the life and actions of Bryanna, the silver-aura warlock. She is quite powerful and the emperor's admiral has ulterior motives towards Bryanna. I would love to read this book, I like fantasy novels. Thanks for your review.
NetMassimo
Currently Reading: The Killing Machine
Bookshelf Size: 428
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: The Ripsons by Joe Morrow
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 40%

Post by NetMassimo »

A mix of science fiction and fantasy can be intriguing and this novel seems to offer a terrific blend of elements from the two genres. I'll look into this series. Thank you for your great review!
Ciao :)
Massimo
Rav_sid
Favorite Book: Inner engineering
Currently Reading: The Freedom Building
Bookshelf Size: 18

Post by Rav_sid »

It seems the story has a lot of potential, Can't wait to read this book. Thank you for review.
eeesha
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by eeesha »

I would love to read this book..just by going through I can say the storyline is Worth reading
Ay Obaj
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 37
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ay-obaj.html
Latest Review: The Girl Who Knew Da Vinci by Belle Ami

Post by Ay Obaj »

I love it when books storyline are constructed perfectly, and contains every single element of thrill. A book like this will surely wow any reader. Thanks for a honest review.
ellimctreph
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ellimctreph.html
Latest Review: Bluewater Walkabout by Tina Dreffin

Post by ellimctreph »

I always love a good mix of science fiction and fantasy. Great review.

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”