Review of Dreams of the Dying

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Sam Ibeh
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 459
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sam-ibeh.html
Latest Review: The vampires: Sodom and Gomorrah by Levănt DuPrae

Review of Dreams of the Dying

Post by Sam Ibeh »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Dreams of the Dying" by Nicolas Lietzau.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Dreams of the Dying by Nicolas Lietzau is an intriguing adventure that revolves around fantasy, horrified psychological dimensions, revenge, and love. These themes encompass what goes on with the dreams of the dead and the dying. These dreams are both fantasies and realities.

Nightmares have haunted Jespar Dal'Varek from the death of his family for years. He ventures into a mission to save the city of Kilay from doom. Psychological consultations have to be made if this mission will have a chance at success. One of such consultations implicates him and combines with his nightmares to make his life unbearable. This leaves him fighting for his life, the city, Kilay, and his sanity while dealing with the revelations gathered.

The foreword gave me an idea of the foundation upon which Dreams of the Dying was built. It was shocking to know that this masterpiece was a video game turned into a novel. This revelation created an intense desire to check out the video game because the novel adaptation was terrific. From the foreword, the level of creativity Nicolas Lietzau put into this work was conspicuous. While there were several other intriguing creative ideas in the book, the Makehu language used seemed flawless, like an actual language. That was quite commendable.

Dreams of the Dying is a six-hundred-and-thirty-two-page book divided into two parts. The story is slow but steady. This story gives off a feeling of persistence to get to the finish line. In other words, the book is engaging despite its slow pace. Nicolas Lietzau applied a kind of back-and-forth storytelling. It goes back to a scene in time and comes back to the present. The connection between the back and forth may not be there instantly. But the author keeps the reader's rapt attention to wait and figure out the connection.

I'd have to applaud the twists too. This book played with my mind, and I loved it. It reminded me of Blacklist, one of my favorite TV series on crime and investigation.

For a fiction book set in 1226, I didn't expect homosexualism to be a thing. Plus, there were way too many profanities for a book set in that era. This reservation did not dent the marvelous work of this book. It was a mere observation that could be intentional.

The book was an excellent read. It would require patience, though. The editing was good; I only found a handful of errors. Therefore, I'd give it four out of four stars. I'd recommend Dreams of the Dying to persons who'd love adventure and would be intrigued by psychological issues.

Dreams of the Dying
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Aisha Yakub
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 183
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aisha-yakub.html
Latest Review: A New War by Alexander Farah

Post by Aisha Yakub »

Video game tuned novel? That's exciting. Great review, thank you.
Sharon Christanto
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 8
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sharon-christanto.html
Latest Review: The path from backpack to briefcase 2nd. idition by R. William Holland, PhD
Reading Device: B09N3YBXCN

Post by Sharon Christanto »

I think the slow pace of the book might give benefit for readers, since video-games-turned-into-novel type of books usually set in fast pace.. so fast that sometimes you'll easily miss the story details. I also love the cover, it makes me curious to read the novel. Great review, thank you!
Amiczy Heaven
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 93
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amiczy-heaven.html
Latest Review: Living the Beatitudes by Gary L. Engstrom

Post by Amiczy Heaven »

This story sounds a lot scary. Jasper must be a tough person. Thanks for this review, at least I know I should avoid this book now. I don’t want to start having nightmares too.
Amenrodion
Currently Reading: Fates Sweet Passion
Bookshelf Size: 55
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amenrodion.html
Latest Review: A Dream For Peace by Dr. Ghoulem Berrah

Post by Amenrodion »

I find psychological issues intriguing but not so much adventure. Quite a conundrum
The_knight
Currently Reading: Brandy, Ballad of a Pirate Princess
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-the-knight.html
Latest Review: Randy the Irresistible by S M Goodier

Post by The_knight »

Video game turned into a novel, talk about a bolt from the blue. I'm quite impressed by your review and I'm eager to read this book myself.
Ghuddie
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ghuddie.html
Latest Review: Better Angels Lesley Gore Dusty Springfield by Linden Lelievre

Post by Ghuddie »

This looks like an interesting story. Lovers of adventure will enjoy it. Great review.
Asiaa Szn
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 42
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-asiaa-szn.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by Asiaa Szn »

I really love psychological fiction and I think maybe a few parts of the book should be made a movie. Nice review
Nwadinso Okoro
Currently Reading: Killing Abel
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nwadinso-okoro.html
Latest Review: The Toki-Girl and the Sparrow-Boy (series) by Claire Youmans

Post by Nwadinso Okoro »

From the review, this book revolves around fantasy, well-constructed fantasy. Dreams of the dying involves Jasper who has been having nightmares. Jasper is determined to go on a mission, and I would love to know if he succeeded. Thanks for your review.
QualityAndQuantity
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 5
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-qualityandquantity.html
Latest Review: There and Back There Again by Andrew Alsup

Post by QualityAndQuantity »

I always like how the authors create a world of their own just so it fits the characters story. This seems like a pretty interesting book to me and I'll definitely try to read it. Thanks for the wonderful review.
Amenrodion
Currently Reading: Fates Sweet Passion
Bookshelf Size: 55
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amenrodion.html
Latest Review: A Dream For Peace by Dr. Ghoulem Berrah

Post by Amenrodion »

Intriguing title. I find books filled with psychological issues immensely satisfying
Ronnie Comendador 1
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Ronnie Comendador 1 »

This makes me curious to read this novel!the book looks full of psychological issues! it's pretty interesting story..thank you for your great review..
Nwadinso Michael
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 59
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nwadinso-michael.html
Latest Review: Mon Cheri by Spare Time Novels

Post by Nwadinso Michael »

Dreams of the Dying involves the thrilling adventure of Jesper. Jesper is an intriguing character that is on a mission to save his city. I applaud the author for his creativity. Thanks for your honest review.
God is a Poet and he taught me how to hold my pen.
SparkindaGl0
Currently Reading: On Becoming Me: Memoir of an 80's Teenager
Bookshelf Size: 35

Post by SparkindaGl0 »

I love surprises, video game turned into a novel? That is something I never heard of before. This seem like challenging read that may move me. Thank you for a good review!

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”