Review of Children of the Godlight

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Bertha Jackson
Bookshelves Moderator
Favorite Book: Launchpad Republic: America's Entrepreneurial Edge and Why It Matters
Currently Reading: The Newton Code
Bookshelf Size: 759
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bertha-jackson.html
Latest Review: Life at the Precipice by R.F. Vincent

Review of Children of the Godlight

Post by Bertha Jackson »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Children of the Godlight" by Jerre Tanner.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Children of the Godlight: a heroic fantasy from Hawaiian Cosmology is Book 2 of the Boy with Goldfish series by Jerre Tanner. Boy rescues Sistah from her prison in the cave, and an orb spilling rainbows into the sky encompasses them and takes them to a magical and exotic cloud-city. The cloud-city consists of two species, one short and one tall. The taller species have no facial features and are shaped like a crescent. Since Boy and Sistah have no papers, their hands and ankles are tied, and they are taken to the judge. Since it is illegal to enter the country without documents and have no money to pay a fine, they are sentenced to a week in jail. One of the small creatures named Mali'o helps them escape because a higher power is directing them. The taller species, Lohelohes, listen for directives from the gods and help Sistah and Boy on their quest. Their quest is to unite all of the islands in the Ocean World and let them know they are not alone, and together they can have better lives. A storm inhabited by monsters blows them off course to a place unknown to them, and they encounter the two Kāne brothers. Who are the two Kāne brothers? Will Sistah and Boy be able to finish their quest?

There are many positive aspects to this sci-fi/fantasy book. Jerre Tanner has provided a few tools that helped me understand the book. Firstly, there is a "Guide to Pronunciation of the Hawaiian Language" at the beginning of the book. Secondly, there is a summary of the first book of the series at the beginning of the book, which helped me pick up where it had left off. Finally, there is a "Glossary of Hawaiian Words” at the end of the book. The book is broken down into five sections that pertain to the different levels of heaven/creation in Hawaiian Cosmology. One of the many things I took away from this book was the importance of having a plan in place in case things do not go the way you plan.

There are only a couple of negative aspects to the book. The author recommends the book to readers with some college background because of the complexity of the words and the use of Hawaiian words. I think it is more important to know the Hawaiian language because, although the words are defined, I found it distracting to look them up at the back of the book. I found some of the narrative confusing because the author moved between the first and third points of view.

A professional editor has edited this book because it only has three minor errors. I am happy to give this sci-fi/fantasy book 4 out of 4 stars. I did not take away a star for the negative aspects because they are a personal preference and may not bother other readers.

I recommend this book to individuals who enjoy a well-written and fast-paced sci-fi/fantasy novel. The only sexual content is on one island where the natives marry their brother or sister. This type of marriage may be offensive to some readers as they are considered incest in most societies.

Children of the Godlight
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Bertha R. Jackson :D
Book Reviewer at OnlineBookClub.org
Aisha Yakub
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 183
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aisha-yakub.html
Latest Review: A New War by Alexander Farah

Post by Aisha Yakub »

I think the author is considerate to include a summary of the first book from the series, a guide to the language and a glossary. The storyline is great too. Thanks for the review.
Amy Luman
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: 2084
Bookshelf Size: 1017
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amy-luman.html
Latest Review: Time Before Time by Dan DuBose
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Amy Luman »

Although sci-go is my preferred genre right now, I find this weird. Is there any background on Boy and Sistah? I realize this is the 2nd book in a series. Maybe that’s where the explanation comes in,
Raymonda onwuka
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-raymonda-onwuka.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by Raymonda onwuka »

I love series that could be read as standalone. Children of Godlight sounds like a captivating and engaging story. Thanks for the great review.
Amenrodion
Currently Reading: Fates Sweet Passion
Bookshelf Size: 55
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amenrodion.html
Latest Review: A Dream For Peace by Dr. Ghoulem Berrah

Post by Amenrodion »

I am not into sci-fi as a genre, not in books nor in movies
ChampagneSon
Currently Reading: Why Can't Johnny Just Quit?
Bookshelf Size: 43
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-champagneson.html
Latest Review: The Maestro Monologue by Rob White

Post by ChampagneSon »

Very thoughtful of the author to have to help aides as part of the book; I am also intrigued by the plot. Awesome review
Muskan Upadhyaya
Currently Reading: The Legacy of Job's Wife
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-muskan-upadhyaya.html
Latest Review: Wisdom by Arun mago

Post by Muskan Upadhyaya »

This is really appreciable that the author has given the summary of first story before continuing with the second one in the series.
Great review
Latest Review: Wisdom by Arun mago
Asiaa Szn
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 42
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-asiaa-szn.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by Asiaa Szn »

I love how this book is part of a series but can be read alone and understood. The story seems interesting thanks to your amazing review.
Janelydia Mwangi
Currently Reading: Bugs, Weeds, and Water
Bookshelf Size: 68
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-janelydia-mwangi.html
Latest Review: Surviving Life As An Actor by Jerry a. Greenberg
Reading Device: Android

Post by Janelydia Mwangi »

The review is so educative. I just love books that take you on a world of mysteries and magic.
Nwadinso Michael
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 59
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nwadinso-michael.html
Latest Review: Mon Cheri by Spare Time Novels

Post by Nwadinso Michael »

I love the plot and storyline of this book. The two major characters of this book are on a quest that somewhat threatens their existence. I think this book would be a great read for me. Boy and sistah went through a lot, and I appreciate the author for a good work. Thanks for your review.
God is a Poet and he taught me how to hold my pen.
Adelle v
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 68
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-adelle-v.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by Adelle v »

Hawaiian Cosmology is something I haven't encountered yet so I think this might be an educational book to read. Thank you for a great and informative review.
Nwadinso Michael
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 59
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nwadinso-michael.html
Latest Review: Mon Cheri by Spare Time Novels

Post by Nwadinso Michael »

The title of the book seems christianic to me. The book involves two major characters, Boy and sistah, and their adventures. There is a lot that is going around them. I would love to read this book so as to know if they survived the threats around them. Thanks for your review.
God is a Poet and he taught me how to hold my pen.
NetMassimo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Exit Strategy
Bookshelf Size: 429
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: The Ripsons by Joe Morrow
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 41%

Post by NetMassimo »

The Hawaii and ancient Hawaiian mythology make for an intriguing setting despite some difficulties in understanding all the bits. I'll look into this series. Thank you for your great review!
Ciao :)
Massimo
Margi zuu202
Favorite Author: Jack Winnick
Favorite Book: Living in Color
Currently Reading: Water Bound (Sisters of the Heart, #1)
Bookshelf Size: 85813
fav_author_id: 77547
2024 Reading Goal: 1000
2024 Goal Completion: 1339%

Post by Margi zuu202 »

Children of gold light by jerre T. Is a sci-fi/ fantasy series it got me glued from cover to cover it is a wonderful tool to give children I like it hot the boy rescued his sister from her prison the cave and let them join them on their adventure what a book I will recommend it 💯
Laney K
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 123
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-laney-k.html
Latest Review: Uncharted Desires by Jillian Sharp
2024 Reading Goal: 50
2024 Goal Completion: 44%

Post by Laney K »

The Hawaiian mythology does sound interesting, but I think having to look up words in the back might not be the best fit in book for me.

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”