Review of The Fifth Strain

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Alexander C Schmoock
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 150
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alexander-c-schmoock.html
Latest Review: Survived, evolved against all the odds by Ruth Mantile

Review of The Fifth Strain

Post by Alexander C Schmoock »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Fifth Strain" by Brady Moore.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

In The Fifth Strain: Clairvoyant, Brady Moore told the captivating story of young Rion, who missed his childhood and the privileges he enjoyed at the time. He was clairvoyant and kinetic; he discovered he had magical powers. He was part of a group of clairvoyants who possess mystical powers primarily utilised for the protection of their members. Rion found that he embodied mystical powers after the predators came searching for him. His meeting with the predators led to a terrible fight in the school, prison time in the psyriins, and terrible memories. He later escaped from prison and was happy to be found by other clairvoyants; they catered to him in the safe house. The clairvoyants always hid from the psyriin, a group led by Brad and another group led by President Edward.

In the quest to survive and save their members, the clairvoyants got involved in different fights against the psyriins, and some of those combats led to the death of their members. They decided to bring everyone together in a safe space but couldn't achieve that because they always had reasons to separate. Rion was informed he would be the ring leader to establish peace. He later made an unfortunate discovery that one of the clairvoyants had been betraying them. Who was the betrayer? Read the book to find that out.

There were some interesting points in the book that I wouldn't forget to mention. Firstly, until the betrayal I found later in the book, I loved the loyalty and togetherness among the clairvoyants. I love how they looked out for each other whenever they came up against oppositions of all sorts. The reader could learn the need to develop team spirit from that. Also, the characters in the book received adequate development. I had an in-depth understanding of each character and also understood the reasons behind most of their decisions. Also, although the book told a somewhat abstract story, it was so beautifully written that the reader could relate to the picture the writer painted. The book told the beautiful story of love, friendship, betrayal, and the will to survive.

Additionally, the message of self-discovery could be taken from the book. Rion wasn't aware of his capabilities until he discovered he had superpowers. The reader is hereby reminded that he is worth so much if only he could take the time to discover his strengths and leverage them.

There are some parts of the book that I didn't quite appreciate. Many questions were left unanswered, especially concerning Rion's mum, Carina, and the brain behind the mother's forgetfulness. Even though the author tried to make the storyline very relatable, it was still alien to me because it was majorly about superpowers.

Owing to the fact that I found no spelling or grammatical errors in the book, I can confidently say that it was exceptionally well edited. Consequently, I rate the book 4 out of 4 stars. The author was very detailed. It was amazing to see how he brought the different characters in the book to meet at a focal point. It was equally interesting to see that virtually every character in the book had a defined role in the major character's life. Also, most of the supporting characters were well developed. As conflicting and challenging as most of the characters were, they still could provide solutions and help each other when they needed it most.

I recommend this book to lovers of science fiction, romance, and superpower stories.

The Fifth Strain
View: on Bookshelves
Lisa A Rayburn
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Fluff Dragon
Bookshelf Size: 267
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lisa-a-rayburn.html
Latest Review: Nightlord: Sunset by Garon Whited
Reading Device: B018QAYM7C

Post by Lisa A Rayburn »

Is this the second book in the series? I seem to remember a recent BOTM that was simply titled "Clairvoyant," which featured the same character and a similar plotline. I like sci-fi, and I believe I would enjoy reading a sequel to that one. Thanks for the recommendation!
Books are my self-medication. 8)
Aisha Yakub
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 183
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aisha-yakub.html
Latest Review: A New War by Alexander Farah

Post by Aisha Yakub »

Kelyn wrote: 27 Jan 2022, 00:33 Is this the second book in the series? I seem to remember a recent BOTM that was simply titled "Clairvoyant," which featured the same character and a similar plotline. I like sci-fi, and I believe I would enjoy reading a sequel to that one. Thanks for the recommendation!
My thoughts too. Would be glad to read a sequel to that incredible piece.

Great review!
Vivian Stones
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: The Maestro Monologue
Bookshelf Size: 94
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vivian-stones.html
Latest Review: The Silicon Divide by Danielle Nowell

Post by Vivian Stones »

Oh wow, intriguing! Amazing review. Would love to read this.
Suzer6440 xyz
Favorite Book: Pearl River Mansion
Currently Reading: Five Total Strangers
Bookshelf Size: 201
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-suzer6440-xyz.html
Latest Review: The Maestro Monologue by Rob White

Post by Suzer6440 xyz »

Is this a sequel to the other amazing book with Rion as a main character? If it is this is going to be absolutely amazing and I really loved this review. Thank you for being detailed and making this review interesting as I really want to read it.I love all the different characters and the description as well as the super power action
Sia P
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sia-p.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by Sia P »

Rion's quest of self-discovery sounds absolutely fascinating to me. I was ecstatic to read your review, and I can't wait to get my hands on this book. Thanks for the review.😄
Chimercy
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chimercy.html
Latest Review: Why Can't Johnny Just Quit? by Kyle Oh

Post by Chimercy »

Great review, you gave suspense in your review about who was the betrayer? I can't wait to read this book, it makes me feel like a detective on my way to locate the criminal. Thanks for the review.
NetMassimo
Currently Reading: The Killing Machine
Bookshelf Size: 428
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: The Ripsons by Joe Morrow
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 40%

Post by NetMassimo »

This seems like an engaging fantasy story that also contains some introspection with the protagonist's self-discovery. Thank you for your great review!
Ciao :)
Massimo
James Ndumia
Currently Reading: Brandy, Ballad of a Pirate Princess
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-james-ndumia.html
Latest Review: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute by Jeff Meyer

Post by James Ndumia »

This seems like a magnificent book loaded with great themes. I loved the spirit of union and togetherness as you depicted in the review... I'd love to follow this entertaining life of the clairvoyants and get to unravel for myself who the betrayer in the pack could be.
Ruth Frances A
Favorite Book: Rescuing General Patton
Currently Reading: Desperate Season
Bookshelf Size: 74
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ruth-frances-a.html
Latest Review: Lucky by Spare Time Novels
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Ruth Frances A »

Will Ron come into his own and embrace his gift? I love the supernatural mystery thriller. This book sounds incredible. I want to understand a little about clairvoyance. There seem to be many unique characters. I wonder who the betrayer is. What would cause this? Thank you for an intriguing and detailed review.
Nicki Ferguson
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 4

Post by Nicki Ferguson »

WOW, what a great review. I'm going to read this book because you gave a great review of the book. I generally don't like or read too many Sci- Fi books. I am going to make an acceptance because I do like people with Super Power's. Thank you for such a detailed and interesting review.
María Andrea Fernández Sepúlveda
Favorite Author: Kristin Hannah
Favorite Book: The Nightingale
Currently Reading: Why in the World Are We Here?
Bookshelf Size: 2400
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mar-a-andrea-fern-ndez-sep-lveda.html
Latest Review: You Say Goodbye by Keith Steinbaum
fav_author_id: 5604

Post by María Andrea Fernández Sepúlveda »

There were some interesting points in the book that I wouldn't forget to mention. Firstly, until the betrayal I found later in the book, I loved the loyalty and togetherness among the clairvoyants. I love how they looked out for each other whenever they came up against oppositions of all sorts. The reader could learn the need to develop team spirit from that. Also, the characters in the book received adequate development. I had an in-depth understanding of each character and also understood the reasons behind most of their decisions. Also, although the book told a somewhat abstract story, it was so beautifully written that the reader could relate to the picture the writer painted. The book told the beautiful story of love, friendship, betrayal, and the will to survive.

Additionally, the message of self-discovery could be taken from the book. Rion wasn't aware of his capabilities until he discovered he had superpowers. The reader is hereby reminded that he is worth so much if only he could take the time to discover his strengths and leverage them.
Team spirit and appropriate leadership skills are both important lessons to learn, especially for young readers.
There are some parts of the book that I didn't quite appreciate. Many questions were left unanswered, especially concerning Rion's mum, Carina, and the brain behind the mother's forgetfulness. Even though the author tried to make the storyline very relatable, it was still alien to me because it was majorly about superpowers.
Perhaps the author is planning a further installment of the series. That's often the case when the author leaves loose ends.

Thank you for your review!
Margi zuu202
Favorite Author: Jack Winnick
Favorite Book: Living in Color
Currently Reading: Water Bound (Sisters of the Heart, #1)
Bookshelf Size: 85396
fav_author_id: 77547
2024 Reading Goal: 1000
2024 Goal Completion: 1297%

Post by Margi zuu202 »

This is my second book from brandy Moore, I love the sci-fi fantasy and how he brought out the character development as we continue reading it so enjoyable RION never imagined a normal life in his dream and the moment he realized he could move objects with his mind that was a big life changer for him,.. I love the storyline it actually glued me to the end and I will recommend it 💯✅BOTD
John Arun Kumar
Currently Reading: Worldlines
Bookshelf Size: 178
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-john-arun-kumar.html
Latest Review: Sophistries of Summer Days by Jenny Lofters

Post by John Arun Kumar »

I remember a couple more books on clairvoyance. This sci-fi seems different with rival groups. Interesting to read that this story is about friendship, love, betrayal and the will to survive. A well written book and a good book review. Congratulations on the BOTD!
Loniya Chabili Mubanga
Currently Reading: The sea keepers daughter
Bookshelf Size: 254
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-loniya-chabili-mubanga.html
Latest Review: American Dream? by Jeoung Lee

Post by Loniya Chabili Mubanga »

The title is very interesting, is it a series? I'm not sure if it's my speed but your review is action paced as I'm sure is the book. Which makes it very interesting.

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”