Review of The Magician's Secret

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Veronica Hunter
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 57
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-veronica-hunter.html
Latest Review: The Tainted Jade by Richard Blaine

Re: Review of The Magician's Secret

Post by Veronica Hunter »

Princess Jarla emerges as a standout character, defying societal norms with her strength, fearlessness, and confidence. In a setting where gender roles are strictly defined, Jarla's character adds depth and inspiration to the narrative, making her a favorite among readers.
Foxybae1+
Favorite Book: Jake Fortina and the Roman Conspiracy
Currently Reading: Strong Heart
Bookshelf Size: 29

Post by Foxybae1+ »

The story of a young man who was accused one free of murdering the great magician Barlocks, his mentor escaping the predicament he decides to assist the young determined princess in a race to save their conscience from battle. Devlin inherits balance position equipped with new fun magical powers he struggles with using his newly found powers responsibly when evading the dangerous route through their journey.
This book is captivating and adventurous with intriguing twist and a welcome post characters, having different incident as the journey progress is doing the adventure.

I love the twist and turn in this book which makes it more fun to read the mystery that comes with each incident is overwhelming.
Amy_Jackson
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading: The In-Between
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amy-jackson.html
Latest Review: A Voice from Heaven by Alexander V Girman & Cynthia J Girman

Post by Amy_Jackson »

I can already tell this book will be very interesting, and will require some imagination to fully enjoy it. More description of the characters will help though, like you pointed out. Thank you for the review.
Sia_young
Favorite Author: Sarah J. Maas
Currently Reading: The Red Movement
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sia-young.html
Latest Review: Just Die by E Alan Fleischauer
fav_author_id: 2719
2024 Reading Goal: 20
2024 Goal Completion: 40%

Post by Sia_young »

I've not yet read any book in the magic genre. I hope this book will be my first one and that it's amazing.
Strong, fearless women are my hero hence I already love Jarla. Thanks for this review. It was great.
Priyankan Nayak
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 42
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-priyankan-nayak.html
Latest Review: Cancer, Faith & Butterflies by Johnny M. Sanchez

Post by Priyankan Nayak »

The Magician's Secret by Charles Townsend is a book on magic. From the review, I concluded that it's worth reading as it takes the reader's mind to a whole other fantasy world. Congratulations to the author on his book getting selected as BOTD.
Gee-Q Mdluli
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: Adventures of Uncle Billy and Ross
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gee-q-mdluli.html
Latest Review: 30th Century: Escape (General Audience Edition) by Mark Kingston Levin PhD

Post by Gee-Q Mdluli »

That's a fantastic review, and I couldn't agree more about the gripping nature of the first chapter. I couldn't help but feel sorry for poor Delvin—I don't believe he did it either.
Nisha DSouza
Favorite Book: In It Together
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 160
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nisha-dsouza.html
Latest Review: Isazisi:The Book by Bongani Yona

Post by Nisha DSouza »

The Magician's Secret by Charles Townsend is an intriguing novel replete with magic, mystery, adventure, and a secret. Did Delvin really kill Borlock, who had been like a mentor to him? Who was the mysterious man in black? Read this amazing book to find out. Congratulations on the BOTD!
Nisha
Official Reviewer Representative

"There are two ways to live: you can live as if nothing is a miracle; you can live as if everything is a miracle." ~ Albert Einstein
Gloria M 3
Currently Reading: Reflections: Words From the Soul
Bookshelf Size: 12

Post by Gloria M 3 »

The storyline seems to be very capturing interesting my guess is that Delvin didn't murder Borlock I like seeing how women try to go extra mile and do things they aren't supposed to as long as they help in the development and safety of the community. I definitely would love to have a copy of this in my library, this is a great review, love reading about magic.
Kristine Mariel Diaz
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 235
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kristine-mariel-diaz.html
Latest Review: Opaque by Calix Leigh-Reign

Post by Kristine Mariel Diaz »

I liked this book very much. Delvin for me is an amazing character, a person cared by all the people he met is a very great cuality to copy from him, I wish I had his carisma to make a friend as devoted as Greg and also his strength to leave his life behind as he did trying to find something better for himself.
Great review very interesting.
Jabulile Mahlangu 1
Favorite Book: Defining a free man from a black stream
Currently Reading: Obsidian Tomorrow
Bookshelf Size: 32
2024 Reading Goal: 100
2024 Goal Completion: 28%

Post by Jabulile Mahlangu 1 »

From the very beginning Delvin is no one to be taken seriously. He is either followed by misfortune or laughter .He wakes up on the floor of a dark room with a chair stand in hand .His memory in this case has failed him . A tall dark figure he does not recognise accuses him of murder.

Still recollecting whether he is in a dream or not he notices his friend on the floor. Borlock. He is in a pool of blood. Borlock considered Delvin as his own assistant as a magician. His chest is cut wide open and the contents of his stomach are exposed. To Delvin's horror he remembers nothing.

He is taken to the elders as procedure before being hanged for the crime while the tall dark figure of a man will be testifying against him . Apparently he witnessed the crime. He later explains how he came running into the room after hearing a commotion. Why was he close to the body and not at the door? Why couldnt Delvin remember anything? Why wasnt Delvin holding the murder weapon? A comical tragedy indeed.

To his luck Borlock is still alive and this changes his fate. He is a free man .Borlock wants to have his final word with him as he doesnt have long to live. He asks him to be his successor and leaves his entire belongings to him to venture on his own. He dies. To his sorrow he agrees. He persued the profession with his belongings and little knowledge and also the love potion which happens to just be chalk.

Exceptional arrangement of the book. The sneaky humour makes the tone light hearted while we unveil the mystery. Flawless throughout and I couldnt stop turning the pages. The little explanations in the book allow me to use my own imagination to connect most of the pieces. A 5 out of 5 for this amazing piece. A book I would gladly read all over again.

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”