Review of The Magician's Secret

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Ria710
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 166
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ria710.html
Latest Review: The Magic Lantern by Charles Townsend

Review of The Magician's Secret

Post by Ria710 »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Magician's Secret" by Charles Townsend.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Delvin has been captivated by magic ever since he learned about it. Magician Borlock had been teaching Delvin some tricks, until one fateful night. Delvin couldn’t remember what had exactly happened. All he knew was that he was standing near Borlock’s unconscious body with a chair leg in his hand. Did he just kill the one person he looks up to the most? Or has someone framed him? Delvin then gets thrust into a world of adventure and magic as he embarks on a journey with Princess Jarla and Fionella to save Hengel from war. Will they succeed in their mission? Read The Magician's Secret by Charles Townsend to find out.

As I started reading the first chapter, I immediately felt compelled to read more. The first chapter throws you into the story at a rapid pace. The events are happening very quickly which leaves you asking many questions. As a result, you find yourself starting chapter 2 without hesitation. For this reason, I believe Townsend has done a great job at setting up the story.

The story flowed at a reasonable pace and which allowed me to get to understand the characters more. Since the book contains many different places, Townsend has done an excellent job at describing each one. The added maps and building layouts at the start of the book also helped.

Out of all the characters, my favourite would have to be Princess Jarla because she was different from all the other women. Jarla is a strong, fearless, confident woman who isn’t afraid to speak up. This book is set in a time where only men could boss and women just stood by. So, it was inspiring to see Jarla go against these norms.

The only dislike I have about the story is that I wish Townsend had described the characters’ appearance more. Taking Delvin as an example, I don’t know what he looks like or if he’s tall or short. I don’t even know how old Delvin and the other characters are. This is a very simple thing, but it makes a huge impact. I was left struggling to picture what Delvin, the protagonist, looked like. Despite this, I still had a great time reading the book.

Overall, I would rate this book 4 out of 4 stars because it was an enjoyable read. I didn’t find any mistakes as I was reading, so it is exceptionally edited. Due to violent scenes in the book, it’s not appropriate for children. I recommend this book to young adults who enjoy reading books that take them on an adventure.

The Magician's Secret
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Amy Luman
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: 2084
Bookshelf Size: 1015
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amy-luman.html
Latest Review: Zona II by Fred G. Baker
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Amy Luman »

Even reading this short summary I am fairly certain that Delvin had nothing to do with Borlock’s death. I love to read about strong women as important characters and Princess Jarla seems to be that sort.
Walter R
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 43
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-walter-r.html
Latest Review: Cynthia and Dan by Dorothy May Mercer

Post by Walter R »

This seems like quite an intriguing storyline. Would definitely love to have this one on my shelf. Great review.
Nomcebo_0619
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nomcebo-0619.html
Latest Review: Cynthia and Dan by Dorothy May Mercer

Post by Nomcebo_0619 »

The storyline seems interesting and captivating. I would really like to read more about the protagonist, since reading about women ruling in a men's world is my cup of coffee.
Thanks for an interesting review.
Salah bourouba
In It Together VIP
Favorite Author: Jane Austen
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 141
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-salah-bourouba.html
Latest Review: The Magician's Secret by Charles Townsend
fav_author_id: 2379

Post by Salah bourouba »

Sounds like an interesting book. Magic mixed with murder. Great review
Recite in the name of your Lord who created [*] Created man from a clinging substance [*] Recite, and your Lord is the most Generous [*] Who taught by the pen [*] Taught man that which he knew not.
The Quran. Surah Al Alaq
Soukaina E 1
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-soukaina-e-1.html
Latest Review: Toxic Side Effect by Sandy Magner

Post by Soukaina E 1 »

I loved this review so much, it was so well done and the reviewer talked about all the necessary stuff. The summary gave me a push to add this book to my TBR, and i personally belive that Delvin was NOT the cause of Borlock's death, but I'm always here for a good twist.
Bibi Farheen K
Currently Reading: Lore of Light Volume 1
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bibi-farheen-k.html
Latest Review: Man Mission by Eytan Uliel

Post by Bibi Farheen K »

This sounds like my type of book! I hope to be able to get my hands on it. Thanks for the review!
Vivian Stones
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: The Maestro Monologue
Bookshelf Size: 94
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vivian-stones.html
Latest Review: The Silicon Divide by Danielle Nowell

Post by Vivian Stones »

Very interesting storyline. This review is so detailed and intriguing. I will read this book to find out what happened in the end.
jimmy02
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jimmy02.html
Latest Review: A Dream For Peace by Dr. Ghoulem Berrah

Post by jimmy02 »

A lot of fantasy writers skimp on proper and detailed maps to guide the narrative, yet the author here has taken that detail into account. Additionally, the storyline, as described by you really piqued my interest!
There is no friend as loyal as a book.
~ Ernst Hemingway

:techie-studyingbrown:
Chrispine mupundu
Currently Reading: The Prodigy Slave, Book One: Journey to Winter Garden
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Chrispine mupundu »

From the short review that I have read this story is capable of giving good results if I continue to review it
Carolina Guerra
Currently Reading: Mythic Worlds and the One You Can Believe In
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-carolina-guerra.html
Latest Review: The Whaler's Daughter by Jerry Mikorenda

Post by Carolina Guerra »

The review got me thinking... If you can't picture a character, how can you relate with it?
Maybe appearance is not that important when you know someone's desires and motivation. But it must still feel odd, otherwise this wouldn't be mentioned. I am curious so I might read this book.
Bee_renda007
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bee-renda007.html
Latest Review: Just Die by E Alan Fleischauer

Post by Bee_renda007 »

The summary is really captivating and inviting. I would love to know more about the characters and their adventures. Thanks for the honest review.
Aisha Yakub
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 183
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aisha-yakub.html
Latest Review: A New War by Alexander Farah

Post by Aisha Yakub »

This would be a great read for readers who love fast-paced books. Storyline seems great too. Great review.
Andani2020
Currently Reading: The Message?
Bookshelf Size: 12

Post by Andani2020 »

I cannot begin to imagine what Delvin must have been feeling after finding out he was framed to have killed his role model. I'm curios if he's mission and his accomplice will succeed or not. Great job on the review. I will be adding this book on my to read list
Blessing Odii
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 67
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-blessing-odii.html
Latest Review: The Proximity of Stars by Benedict Stuart

Post by Blessing Odii »

Nice review. I enjoy reading magical books.

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”