Review of The Magician's Secret

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
mytkreadingreview
Currently Reading: Holding Fire
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mytkreadingreview.html
Latest Review: Scam Story by Gini Graham Scott
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Re: Review of The Magician's Secret

Post by mytkreadingreview »

I am so delighted when people show affection to each other even in hard times, like Princess Jarla, Fionella and Delvin when they were saving Helgen from war.
Ori Blessing Oche
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Ori Blessing Oche »

The first few lines were intriguing and really captivating. It literally was drawing me in every step of the way. Considering that I was really interested in finding out who Burlock was and why Delvin was being accused. I can bet that the story line was well thought of by the writer.

A few things to note though was some editing errors in the first few chapters which I had to read and rẹ read to understand what was missing or supposed to be taken out. In all, the short read was captivating.
Leah njoroge

Post by Leah njoroge »

The fact that magic is mixed with murder brings out the sweetness of the book, there is suspicion and confusion of who is the bad guy also there are life lessons in this book.
adixon17
Favorite Book: The Magician's Secret
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-adixon17.html
Latest Review: Twisted Threads by Kaylin McFarren

Post by adixon17 »

I would like to point out that the author does describe Delvin. On Page 30 he states "At only twenty he was rather young for a magician, and with his slim build and average height, he was not an imposing figure a magician should be." He goes on to talk about how he might grow a beard but with his blond hair, it would not show up. It does not describe his facial features but does give a rough idea of how he looks.
Ley1996

Post by Ley1996 »

Well the title of the book is captivating however, there are some confusing of the lines and I don't get the exact point. I'm interested to magical stories ever since and I'm hoping to read lots of those. Over all, it's not bad though the author need to fix some those confusing phrases and events. Thanks hope this help🙂
Anna_Hernandez
In It Together VIP
Favorite Book: American Dirt
Currently Reading: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures
Bookshelf Size: 51
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anna-hernandez.html
Latest Review: A Dream For Peace by Dr. Ghoulem Berrah

Post by Anna_Hernandez »

Ria710 wrote: 03 Feb 2022, 20:13 [Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Magician's Secret" by Charles Townsend.]

The only dislike I have about the story is that I wish Townsend had described the characters’ appearance more. Taking Delvin as an example, I don’t know what he looks like or if he’s tall or short. I don’t even know how old Delvin and the other characters are. This is a very simple thing, but it makes a huge impact. I was left struggling to picture what Delvin, the protagonist, looked like. Despite this, I still had a great time reading the book.
I am currently reading The Magician's Secret, and your review came to mind as it's not often that you hear an author who does not describe their main characters.

As you mentioned in your review that this was a dislike, I would like to prompt you to re-read chapter three again, as it describes poor Delvin as he assesses whether he has the looks to pull off being a magician.

'At only twenty he was rather young for a magician, and with his slim build and average height, he was not the imposing figure a magician should be.' It even mentions, how he may look funny with a blonde beard.
Magribi Syafaat nur
Currently Reading: The Magician's Secret
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by Magribi Syafaat nur »

When he finds an old trunk full of magic tricks and secret books, he sets out on a journey to become the world's greatest magician. Wow so inspiring :techie-reference:
ayoub chouaa

Post by ayoub chouaa »

In general, "The Secret of the Magician" is a wonderful and interesting book that is worth reading for all fans of fantasy and adventure. The book contains an exciting story, an enjoyable reading experience.
Amina Jeanine

Post by Amina Jeanine »

The magician's secret definitely has an interesting beginning and keeps you wanting more while reading.thinking of what might happen next :no-spoil:
Katarina Sikima
Currently Reading:

Post by Katarina Sikima »

Delvin has been captivated by magic ever since he learned about it. Magician Borlock had been teaching Delvin some tricks, until one fateful night. Delvin couldn’t remember what had exactly happened. All he knew was that he was standing near Borlock’s unconscious body with a chair leg in his hand. Did he just kill the one person he looks up to the most? Or has someone framed him? Delvin then gets thrust into a world of adventure and magic as he embarks on a journey with Princess Jarla and Fionella to save Hengel from war. Will they succeed in their mission? Read The Magician's Secret by Charles Townsend to find out.

As I started reading the first chapter, I immediately felt compelled to read more. The first chapter throws you into the story at a rapid pace. The events are happening very quickly which leaves you asking many questions. As a result, you find yourself starting chapter 2 without hesitation. For this reason, I believe Townsend has done a great job at setting up the story.

The story flowed at a reasonable pace and which allowed me to get to understand the characters more. Since the book contains many different places, Townsend has done an excellent job at describing each one. The added maps and building layouts at the start of the book also helped.

Out of all the characters, my favourite would have to be Princess Jarla because she was different from all the other women. Jarla is a strong, fearless, confident woman who isn’t afraid to speak up. This book is set in a time where only men could boss and women just stood by. So, it was inspiring to see Jarla go against these norms.

The only dislike I have about the story is that I wish Townsend had described the characters’ appearance more. Taking Delvin as an example, I don’t know what he looks like or if he’s tall or short. I don’t even know how old Delvin and the other characters are. This is a very simple thing, but it makes a huge impact. I was left struggling to picture what Delvin, the protagonist, looked like. Despite this, I still had a great time reading the book.

Overall, I would rate this book 4 out of 4 stars because it was an enjoyable read. I didn’t find any mistakes as I was reading, so it is exceptionally edited. Due to violent scenes in the book, it’s not appropriate for children. I recommend this book to young adults who enjoy reading books that take them on an adventure.

The Magician's Secret
Alice Festo
Favorite Book: Deceitful Survival
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 117
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alice-festo.html
Latest Review: Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise by John K Danenbarger

Post by Alice Festo »

I am eager to find out who really killed the magician and why? Did the mission succeed? These questions lingering in my mind make me want to dig deeper and read all about the adventures of Delvin. Great review.
Ellee Bee5

Post by Ellee Bee5 »

I love how a woman like Princess Jarla expresses the strength of a woman in a world where men are dominating. It shows that the perception that men are more important and stronger than women is changing thanks to the author's description of Jarla.
Triciat50
Favorite Book: The Luminaries
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 558
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-triciat50.html
Latest Review: The Miracle of Ramadan by Wassim Hijazi

Post by Triciat50 »

Thank you for specifically mentioning at the end of your review that there are some violent scenes that may not be appropriate for younger viewers. I have a grandniece who is fascinated at age nine with all things "magic", but I would want to review this book first to see if this were age appropriate. I appreciate your cautionary remarks.
Vincent Banet
Currently Reading:

Post by Vincent Banet »

It pretty touching
Vincent Banet
Currently Reading:

Post by Vincent Banet »

This will make you remember those olden days of fear and would love to know more about magic

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”