Percy Jackson vs. Harry Potter: In a New Way

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
daphne_asir
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-daphne-asir.html
Latest Review: WALK TALL - create your own self-confidence by Ki Is Your Host

Re: Percy Jackson vs. Harry Potter: In a New Way

Post by daphne_asir »

mariana90 wrote: 26 Jul 2019, 21:38 I really liked them both, but I see PJ as a lighter read, whereas HP is overall a more detailed and nuanced work of fiction.

If I wanted a fun adventure I would definitely choose Percy, but if I wanted a more complex story, I would definitely choose Harry.

Percy Jackson has more humour in it. And I agree with Harry potter being intense. But personally I connected so much with Percy Jackson.
No live organism can continue for long to exist sanely under conditions of absolute reality.
Shirley Jackson
Barbie_sidhu
Currently Reading: Strong heart
Bookshelf Size: 84
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-barbie-sidhu.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Barbie_sidhu »

My vote is for Harry Potter.
Vumana16
Currently Reading: Mixed Blessings
Bookshelf Size: 9
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vumana16.html
Latest Review: Strong Heart by Charlie Sheldon

Post by Vumana16 »

I love both of these series very much, I reread both of them at least once a year, but I had never really thought about how similar they were. I think I do prefer Percy Jackson over Hardy Potter.

Personally, I always connected more with the characters in the Percy Jackson series. Maybe it is because of the fact that just as Percy I grew up with just my mom and don't have the best relationship with my dad, or because I've always loved learning about different religions or mythologies.

I'm not saying in any way that harry potter is bad, I love the world and the magic but I never really liked Harry. I loved characters like luna and Neville and the Weasley tweens but the main characters never did it for me.
Barbara Larkin
Currently Reading: The Raven Boys
Bookshelf Size: 55
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-barbara-larkin.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: The Flesh of the Mind by Matthew Tysz

Post by Barbara Larkin »

I'd say Harry Potter. I love Percy Jackson but I'm naturally biased towards Harry Potter.
Sou Hi
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 154
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sou-hi.html
Latest Review: Project Tau by Jude Austin

Post by Sou Hi »

I wonder why they would bring up two entire different series. I can understand if it's Harry Porter vs Charlie Bone, since they're both about wizards and witches. But Percy Jackson is about demi gods and their fight with the monsters and Gods.
HanElizabeth397
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hanelizabeth397.html
Latest Review: The Mindset by Ace Bowers

Post by HanElizabeth397 »

I'm reading Percy Jackson for the first time this year and so far I am absolutely loving it! I'm sure it's going to become one of my favourite series.
Fasmin
Favorite Book: We are voulhire
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fasmin.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: The Ascension of Akistry by Matthew Tysz

Post by Fasmin »

Personally I have a hard time deciding which series is better. They both rival each other.
The HP series is something I would read if I have a lot of time at hand, it has a lot more complex story and offers more values and lessons for real life. The HP series is also heartbreaking.

The pj series on the other hand would be a lighter read. It's story is just as good as HP's but takes a lot less time to read but has a slightly lower complexity. The series isn't nearly as tragetic as the HP series.and offers us lessons in history.i have truly learnt much about anceint Greece through the series.

I think both are better than the other in their own lights.
:tiphat: :tiphat: :tiphat:
Hzrachel
Favorite Book: Shield Down
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 8
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hzrachel.html
Latest Review: Yesterday by Samyann

Post by Hzrachel »

I like both books equally. Both are filled with different adventures. It is very exciting to read them
Latest Review: Yesterday by Samyann
kirthana_shivakumar
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kirthana-shivakumar.html
Latest Review: Depiction of women characters as Victims of Oppresion and Agents of action in selected short stories by Rushika Gill

Post by kirthana_shivakumar »

For humour and LGBTQIA+ representation among other aspects, I think Percy Jackson undeniably wins for me.
Liola
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-liola.html
Latest Review: Snatched Up to Heaven! by Jemima Paul and Arvind Paul

Post by Liola »

Oh wow, what a difficult question. I absolutely adore both of the series, so it‘s hard to decide.
If we talk about content, the HP plot is of course much more complex and detailed. I think one of the best qualities a book can have is being able to tell a story in a way, that the reader is clueless in the beginning and the puzzles all the hints together step by step, which is something that Harry Potter definitively achieved. Info love me some complex fantasy, so this round goes to HP.
However, I think the basic concept of PJO is much more original and entertaining that the one of HP: I mean, how many books about wizards have you already read? The idea of Greek mythology in modern times is much more creative and extraordinary.
PJO obviously wins concerning humour. The hyper-authorial narrator with his unique and funny comments succeeds to make me laugh out loud. Riordan‘s style of writing is undeniably genius.
But so is Rowling‘s: while HP isn’t as obviously and frequently hilarious as PJO, there is some pretty iconic moments (I still remember dying of laughter when reading the first volume‘s “Are you a witch or not” when I was 8 years old).
Personally, I do associate HP with J.K. Rowling‘s continuous hate against the transgender community, so that’s a big downside, while Rick Riordan managed to make his books really diverse and inclusive.
Maybe it’s this, maybe it’s the amount of Fanfiction I’ve read, but I just feel more connected to the Percy Jackson Universe, even though I cannot say which one of the series is better.
Long story short, I love both of them, but PJO is my favorite.

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”