Review of True Privilege: The Unholy Realm

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Erin Dydek
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Shadowborn
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 328
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-erin-dydek.html
Latest Review: Northern Umbrage by Dennis Lorenz Ph.D.

Review of True Privilege: The Unholy Realm

Post by Erin Dydek »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "True Privilege: The Unholy Realm" by Dr Karyn Darnell.]
Book Cover
2 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Purity Thomascovich came to America at age seven with enormous dreams in her heart. Ten years later, serving as a maid at the lavish Shadow Brook Estate has not diminished her dreams, but the love that has grown in her heart for handsome Favor Wisedor, heir to the estate, has complicated her future. Favor's mother staunchly opposes the social disgrace of her only son marrying someone of inferior standing. Then, when Purity's influence starts pushing Favor to change the dark nature of the family's earnings, heaven and earth collide in the chaos that follows.

As Purity continues to pursue holy endeavors to fight the evils in her corner of the world, demonic forces stop at nothing to remove the shining light that Purity brings to those around her. When demons possess the wife chosen for Favor by his mother, Purity finds her life in danger and must rely on the Captain of the Lord's Army and his host of angel warriors to protect her in the battles to come. But there is more to life than war and fighting, and Purity must learn the truths of healing and forgiveness if she desires to see all her dreams come true.

Follow Purity's path and learn the Captain's purposes and plans for her in True Privilege: The Unholy Realm by Dr. Karyn Darnell. I loved that the main story was an enjoyable Cinderella-type plot featuring a strong female character who faced several daunting problems while supernatural forces battled around her. I thought the author did a fantastic job creating creepy demons and vile human antagonists that created tension throughout the story. She also depicted a mighty heavenly host that battled against the hideous creatures and aided Purity in her journey. Purity's consistency in turning to the Captain for help and learning to trust in him in the worst of her situations created a compelling narrative and was my favorite part of the book.

Unfortunately, some issues kept me from thoroughly enjoying the novel. I felt the author missed opportunities for a realistic romantic development between Favor and Purity. Instead of confronting the conflicts together, they often worked separately. Purity also put herself in bad situations by disregarding clear warnings, and her vigilante style of attacking seemed a bit outlandish in context with the rest of the story. I also thought the author tried to tackle too many issues in one novel. I felt overwhelmed by Purity's undertakings as she tried to bring relief to poorly treated factory workers, rescue orphans, take down a brothel, go to China for a missions trip, share her faith with an Indian tribe, and bring salvation to her enemies. The book lacked focus, and the solutions to the problems felt hollow and rushed.

The novel also had a large number of editing issues. Because of the number of typos, I had to take one star away from the rating. I also took away a second star for the development and plot issues. Therefore, I give True Privilege: The Unholy Realm two out of four stars.

While the book had its flaws, plenty of good moments made this story worth checking out. Readers who enjoy supernatural fiction may enjoy the violent battle scenes, while readers who love poetry and lyrics may enjoy the 39 songs sung by various characters throughout the novel. The faith-based crowd may enjoy the Biblical principles sprinkled into the diverse scenarios. There was no profane language, but mild violence, mentions of rape, and physical abuse existed within the novel.

True Privilege: The Unholy Realm
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Aisha Yakub
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 183
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aisha-yakub.html
Latest Review: A New War by Alexander Farah

Post by Aisha Yakub »

Great review. I think the tension created on this story would definitely draw me in.
TheGayOne12
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-thegayone12.html
Latest Review: Tarja Titan by TC Marti

Post by TheGayOne12 »

You definitely make it sound very interesting, and I look forward to reading it. Thank you for the amazing review!
Essy Nma
Currently Reading: The Magician's Secret
Bookshelf Size: 48
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-essy-nma.html
Latest Review: Cat Detectives in the Korean Peninsula by R.F. Kristi

Post by Essy Nma »

The mild violence made the book actionable and I love it. Thanks for the review.
zekgeh
Currently Reading: Dark Matter Empire (Book 1)
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zekgeh.html
Latest Review: Rise of the Savior by Antoine Bonner

Post by zekgeh »

It's saddening such amazing book has great flaws with typos and development issues. Nevertheless, I will certainly enjoy reading this book. great review.
Ceeco2002
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ceeco2002.html
Latest Review: Rebuilt Recovery - Complete Series by Heather L Phipps

Post by Ceeco2002 »

I love the action depicted in this story by your review. Purity is an interesting character, very determined and strong. Nice review!
NetMassimo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Exit Strategy
Bookshelf Size: 429
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: The Ripsons by Joe Morrow
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 41%

Post by NetMassimo »

I have no problems with supernatural fiction and I enjoyed some but I got the impression that the religious element is heavy-handed in this novel. Thank you for your honest review!
Ciao :)
Massimo

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”