The Giver by Lois Lowry: Book vs. Movie

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Purely_Poetic
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-purely-poetic.html

The Giver by Lois Lowry: Book vs. Movie

Post by Purely_Poetic »

I know that we are all big readers here and most of us usually say the book is better than the movie but, I was especially disappointed in the "The Giver" film adaptation.

I just read the book last week and the day I finished I went to see the film and was so disappointed not just by the number of mistakes/changes they made but, the fact that some of the changes were big points in the book. For example, the main character, Jonas, had blue eyes as well as the baby, Gabriel. This was pointed out several times in the book and was of some importance but, the movie completely disregarded this point and Jonas even had dark brown eyes. This may seem like a small detail but, it irked me.

I was wondering if anyone else experienced disappointment with the film as well?
LivreAmour217
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Too many to count
Favorite Book: Ditto
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 294
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-livreamour217.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by LivreAmour217 »

I am so used to Hollywood changing/ruining books that the differences in the movie didn't upset me, but I definitely noticed them. Like always, I enjoyed the book far better than the movie version. However, the film did make my husband interested in reading the book, so I suppose that's a good thing.
"Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one." - Albert Einstein
annasheridan
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-annasheridan.html

Post by annasheridan »

I have read the whole Giver series and absolutely loved them. I've only seen the previews for the movie and just from that can tell how different they are. I understand that they have to change some things in movies to make them understandable, but there are a lot of unnecessary changes that they made to the story line in the movie. Though it disappointed me, I would still like to see the movie because the book interested me so much.
MarieMc
Currently Reading: Host
Bookshelf Size: 51
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mariemc.html
Latest Review: Audible Book of your Choice by Amazon
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by MarieMc »

I read the book and watched the movie also. I too found myself disappointed in some key events being changed. I have read the complete series and found them to be wonderful. I think things like the comfort toy, in the book it was a hippo they called it an elephant and in the movie I believe they switched that. The Hippo being called an elephant seemed more significant in the book because in Jonas' training he learned what a real elephant looked like and knew the hippo was not an elephant. I suppose some details are small potatoes, yet to a reader who enjoys something so completely, it can be disgruntling. The Blue eyes are a significant issue too, especially as one reads the reaming series. So even though it may seem insignificant, later it actually isn't insignificant.
Sav Sparkman
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sav-sparkman.html
Latest Review: Artwords by Beatriz M. Robles
2024 Reading Goal: 12
2024 Goal Completion: 91%

Post by Sav Sparkman »

I was also quite disappointed with the movie. The book has so many nuances and details and overall is just a well developed plot. I give movie adaptations some benefit of the doubt, and I’m not as interested in seeing the movie version be true to the story as much as seeing if they make good use of it. I felt the Giver movie really fell flat and any of the changes they made seemed either arbitrary or just less interesting.
“Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it.” —Helen Keller

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”