Review of Mystical Force

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Christabel Uzoamaka
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Lingering Poets
Bookshelf Size: 181
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-christabel-uzoamaka.html
Latest Review: Atlantis Revealed by Riaan Booysen

Review of Mystical Force

Post by Christabel Uzoamaka »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Mystical Force" by Craig Weidhuner.]
Book Cover
2 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Mystical Force by Craig Weidhuner is a fantasy book about a group of people who have a great prophecy to fulfill. Shi-ria is a Taman Knight on Planet Thalia, a planet that is far from Earth. She is guarding Taman Knights' historic artifacts against Dead-Eye’s theft when Zolida summons her to Earth without her consent, bringing Dead-Eye in the process. Without explaining why, Zolida instructs Shi-ria to find Mystic, Tokijin, and Valerie Rose.

While Zolida believes that Shi-ria must fulfill an important destiny on Earth, Knightwalker believes the opposite and battles Zolida to make sure Shi-ria goes back to Planet Thalia. Shi-ria soon discovers how greedy and problematic some humans can be. How will Mystic, Tokijin, and Valerie Rose help Shi-ria? What destiny must they fulfill? Why is Knightwalker so opposed to Shi-ria being on Earth?

This book is the first in a series, but it has no real plot. Almost every new chapter introduced a new character, which did not allow for the proper development of previously mentioned characters. The book began with Zolida summoning the “one who was not of this world.” We soon discover that this supernatural being is Shi-ria. I expected Shi-ria to have a mission, but till the end of the book, I could not tell why she came to Earth. At some point in the book, it seemed that the author began a new storyline. Valerie Rose’s adventure was so irrelevant to the original storyline that I wondered why the author included it. The author left many loose ends. He never addressed what happened to Dead-Eye and left the cliffhanger poorly done.

Things moved too quickly, and it seemed like the author wrote whatever came to mind. At some point in the battle between Zolida and Knightwalker, it seemed like Knightwalker had the upper hand because she created an illusion. But it turned out that Zolida had created an even grander illusion. I found that battle unbelievable but decided to give it the benefit of the doubt. But I got astounded by how easy things were for many characters. In any fight Shi-ria got into, she got out of almost every tight spot “using her Taman powers.” The author gave her Taman powers a new dimension at every turn and did the same thing for other characters with magical powers. Additionally, the author's repetitive writing style was off-putting.

I started out enjoying this book because the author’s descriptions were vivid. The battle between Zolida and Knightwalker was riveting, and Shi-ria seemed like a protagonist I could like. But with no clear storyline, no real challenge for the characters, several loose ends, and a subpar writing style, I can only rate Mystical Force 2 out of 4 stars. I did not rate the book lower because I hardly found any errors, and I believe it has the potential to be a good fantasy book if the author reviews it and builds on the original storyline. Young adults who enjoy fantasy books may enjoy a revised copy of this book.

Mystical Force
View: on Bookshelves
Precious Amarachi Nzeakor
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 97
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-precious-amarachi-nzeakor.html
Latest Review: Words of Wisdom: INSPIRING QUOTES for Everyone by Sharef Flounoy

Post by Precious Amarachi Nzeakor »

Your rating is justified!. Now it's up to me to decide if I'm interested in this book or not.
Evelyn Bioseh
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-evelyn-bioseh.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by Evelyn Bioseh »

I loved your review. It was very descriptive of the battles too. I'm interested in checking out the book. Maybe I would like it.
Thanks for the review
Essy Nma
Currently Reading: The Magician's Secret
Bookshelf Size: 48
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-essy-nma.html
Latest Review: Cat Detectives in the Korean Peninsula by R.F. Kristi

Post by Essy Nma »

The struggle for fulfilling destiny is high in this book. I would love to read this. Thanks for the review
TheGayOne12
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-thegayone12.html
Latest Review: Tarja Titan by TC Marti

Post by TheGayOne12 »

Your rating is definitely justified, but I'll still try this one out for myself. Fabulous review!
Aisha Yakub
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 183
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aisha-yakub.html
Latest Review: A New War by Alexander Farah

Post by Aisha Yakub »

Thank you for the review. I know what to expect from this book.
Leasa Ana Maria
In It Together VIP
Favorite Book: The Devil Pulls the Strings
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 193
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-leasa-ana-maria.html
Latest Review: 28 Disastrous Dates: A (Mostly True) Humourous Memoir by Poppy Mortimer

Post by Leasa Ana Maria »

Thank you for the review, after reading it I realized that I wouldn't like the book. The action seems a bit too messy and undeveloped from my point of view.
Mmaduabuchi Eze
Favorite Book: The Maestro Monologue
Currently Reading: Strong Heart
Bookshelf Size: 129
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mmaduabuchi-eze.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by Mmaduabuchi Eze »

An honest opinion (review), though. But Shi-ria's discovery of the greedy and problematic nature of humanity is significant. We humans know ourselves.
Ceeco2002
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ceeco2002.html
Latest Review: Rebuilt Recovery - Complete Series by Heather L Phipps

Post by Ceeco2002 »

From your review, I don't think this is a book I'd enjoy. Its too bad that the plot and characters weren't well developed. Thanks for your honest review.
NetMassimo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Flinx's Folly
Bookshelf Size: 419
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: Three Bullets by Charles Alexander
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 26%

Post by NetMassimo »

This seems like a novel with potential that needs more editing, possibly with a professional editor who can help the author in that job. Thank you for your honest review!
Ciao :)
Massimo
Belen Egan
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-belen-egan.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by Belen Egan »

So many characters and no real story line, is a shame because it definitely is a story with so much potencial. This review is so honest, thank you.

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”