Review of The Seekers

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Guda Lydia
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 168
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-guda-lydia.html
Latest Review: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures by Catherine A. Pepe

Review of The Seekers

Post by Guda Lydia »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Seekers" by Tayma Tameem.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The initial plan for joining the trials was clear in Skylar Calleum’s mind. She was to prove herself to the Republic heads, rise in ranks, and take her family along. She was the only hope of improving her family’s poverty situation, especially in the wake of the painful deaths of her father and brother. She was very aware of the challenging journey she chose since her father was known to the Republic as a fierce critic. Skylar was prepared to prove her loyalty and endure the brutal physical and mental tests that characterized the trials. She lost friends to the trials process and even her brother, Liam, but still pushed on.

However, her current situation completely blindsided her, leaving her at a loss and confused. Her docile mother was secretly helping the resistance, a group dedicated to exposing the regime’s sinister nature. Her little brother Kyle had joined the brigade soldiers without informing her and transformed into a fierce and mindless defender of the Republic, religiously weeding out every member of the resistance. How can her remaining family members be on such contrasting paths? Her cause and view of the Republic also began changing, and she began to scrutinize everything. The trials tasks were also becoming more brutal, taking a toll on Skylar’s physical and mental wellbeing. How much can she endure, and is the Republic truly oblivious to developments and changing alliances?

The Seekers by Tayma Tameem is the third book in the five-part Seekers series. However, it is easy to follow and understand since the story includes snippets of the occurrences in the other two books. Tayma vividly describes each scene and setting, transporting the reader from a dilapidated neighborhood to the wealth and opulence of the leadership or from the calm of a loving home to the brutal and distressing scenes of battle. The introduction of each setting enabled the reader to visualize and experience the moments. For instance, ‘They all stood in the blazing afternoon sun, set against a backdrop of clear blue skies, and waited. Around them, there were no upright buildings for miles, and nothing in the way of civilization, save for their ranks and weapons.’

My favorite aspect of the book is the strong character development and presence. The story unfolds majorly through Kyle and Skylar’s perspective, and one gets to understand and resonate with their frame of mind and reasoning. It is fascinating to see how they each deal with the various losses and their view of the leadership. I equally love the emotions like pain, love, and conviction that each character displays. Additionally, the cunning and diabolic nature of the Republic leadership is evident as the reader witnesses the conversation and flow of thoughts of two of the leaders. There is nothing to dislike about the book.

I did not find any grammatical errors, evidence of the book’s exceptional editing. The language employed is also simple and free of any profanities. However, some descriptions of the physical and mental experiences are brutal and might affect sensitive readers. The Seekers brings out a futuristic world where survival is the driving force, and greed drives the leaders. It also highlights family dynamics, friendships, alliances, and romance drama. I recommend the novel to science fiction readers looking for a story of a technologically advanced world in search of independence and a fresh start. I happily give it a rating of 4 out of 4 stars.

The Seekers
View: on Bookshelves
Aisha Yakub
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 183
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aisha-yakub.html
Latest Review: A New War by Alexander Farah

Post by Aisha Yakub »

I think I'll enjoy reading this book because of the strong character development and presence. Great review.
Ceeco2002
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ceeco2002.html
Latest Review: Rebuilt Recovery - Complete Series by Heather L Phipps

Post by Ceeco2002 »

An amazing storyline. I'd like to find out more about Skylar and her family. Thanks for a well written review!
Elijah0007
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elijah0007.html
Latest Review: Korian: Ark of the Fallen King by Giorgio Garofalo

Post by Elijah0007 »

This one's an eye-catcher. I definitely see potential in this series. I'll keep an eye out for this. Thanks for the review.
Ay Obaj
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 37
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ay-obaj.html
Latest Review: The Girl Who Knew Da Vinci by Belle Ami

Post by Ay Obaj »

I love it when books storyline are constructed perfectly, and contains every single element of thrill. A book like this will surely wow any reader. Thanks for a honest review.
NetMassimo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: The Killing Machine
Bookshelf Size: 428
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: The Ripsons by Joe Morrow
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 40%

Post by NetMassimo »

This series seems like an excellent example of science fiction and got yet another striking review for a Tayma Tameem's novel. I just have to decide where to start with this author. Thank you for your great review!
Ciao :)
Massimo

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”