Review of Geo

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Justine Ocsebio
Currently Reading: Dancing Under The Stars
Bookshelf Size: 245
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-justine-ocsebio.html
Latest Review: Under Nazi Noses by John Tepper Marlin (Translator), Erik Schaap (Dutch Author)

Review of Geo

Post by Justine Ocsebio »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Geo" by Topher Allen.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Working in a mining company for so long made Geo decide to finally seek some adventure. Together with his friends, Geo goes on a camping trip to a place where he used to camp all the time when he was a kid. But when a much-anticipated vacation turns sour, Geo and his friends must do everything to survive and find their way back home.

Topher Allen’s Geo is a middle-grade sci-fi book that tells the story of the main character’s enthralling adventures. What I like the most about the book is the imaginative world-building. The book paces slowly in the beginning, taking its time to build the bizarre yet interesting world characterized by eccentric architecture and fantastical creatures. The main character himself is a marvel because he is not human but a rock with human characteristics.

The protagonist shows significant character development from which young readers can learn. Friendship and camaraderie are themes that are common throughout the narrative. Aside from that, the book also explores subtle topics that cater to a mature audience. There are underlying sentiments about navigating adulthood, entering the workforce, and overcoming trauma.

Action scenes are abundant in this book. Despite being a book that primarily caters to a younger audience, it is evident how much thought went into creating this story. I like an adventure story that does not follow a strictly linear narrative, where goals are easily obtained and problems are instantly solved. This book is an exhilarating roller-coaster ride where the characters experience one catastrophe that only leads to another. I could only imagine how this book could make a good animated film because the narrative did not run out of exciting action scenes to provide the reader. The writing is decent but not the most excellent. The description is sufficient enough for one to visualize the world. However, the author has a tendency to write one-liner action scenes, which reminds me of a script from a play. This is a minor aspect that I dislike about the book, something that does not really impact my overall enjoyment of it.

I also did not see any errors, so the editing must be excellent. The premise is unique and intriguing, something middle-grade readers can easily indulge themselves in. The range of meaningful themes this book conveys and the exciting adventure plot make this book deserving of a rating of 4 out of 4 stars. I would recommend this to young readers between the ages of eleven and thirteen who like imaginative adventure stories.

Geo
View: on Bookshelves
Mmaduabuchi Eze
Favorite Book: The Maestro Monologue
Currently Reading: Strong Heart
Bookshelf Size: 129
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mmaduabuchi-eze.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by Mmaduabuchi Eze »

It is interesting to read the characterisation of the main character as a rock with human characteristics. What a wonderful imaginative blend.
Aisha Yakub
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 183
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aisha-yakub.html
Latest Review: A New War by Alexander Farah

Post by Aisha Yakub »

This book has about all the right elements that make a perfect read. Great review.
Mmaduabuchi Eze
Favorite Book: The Maestro Monologue
Currently Reading: Strong Heart
Bookshelf Size: 129
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mmaduabuchi-eze.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by Mmaduabuchi Eze »

Raymond N wrote: 11 Apr 2022, 09:43 This book has about all the right elements that make a perfect read. Great review.
You're correct, Sir. I look forward to reading it.
Amy Luman
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: 2084
Bookshelf Size: 1015
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amy-luman.html
Latest Review: Zona II by Fred G. Baker
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Amy Luman »

Topher is a great name, that has nothing to do with anything. This sounds like a good story for younger readers. I find it fascinating that books for the younger crowd often feature characters that are other than human to make the point.
Ceeco2002
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ceeco2002.html
Latest Review: Rebuilt Recovery - Complete Series by Heather L Phipps

Post by Ceeco2002 »

I do hope Geo and his friends survived and found their way back home, even though I'm sure it won't be an easy ride.
wmeki510
Currently Reading: How to Live a Life of Hope
Bookshelf Size: 179
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wmeki510.html
Latest Review: Reconfigurement by E. Alan Fleischauer

Post by wmeki510 »

Amy Luman wrote: 12 Apr 2022, 10:59 Topher is a great name, that has nothing to do with anything. This sounds like a good story for younger readers. I find it fascinating that books for the younger crowd often feature characters that are other than human to make the point.
It is really interesting; fusing human traits into inanimate objects like rock.
wmeki510
Currently Reading: How to Live a Life of Hope
Bookshelf Size: 179
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wmeki510.html
Latest Review: Reconfigurement by E. Alan Fleischauer

Post by wmeki510 »

Mmaduabuchi Eze wrote: 11 Apr 2022, 08:06 It is interesting to read the characterisation of the main character as a rock with human characteristics. What a wonderful imaginative blend.
Yeah. The characterization is unique and captivating.
nwankwo chibuchi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nwankwo-chibuchi.html
Latest Review: Cat Detectives in the Korean Peninsula by R.F. Kristi

Post by nwankwo chibuchi »

I hope Geo and his friends find their way back home. I enjoyed reading the review. Well done.
Ay Obaj
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 37
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ay-obaj.html
Latest Review: The Girl Who Knew Da Vinci by Belle Ami

Post by Ay Obaj »

I love it when books storyline are constructed perfectly, and contains every single element of thrill. A book like this will surely wow any reader. Thanks for a honest review.
NetMassimo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Star Maker
Bookshelf Size: 426
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: The Ripsons by Joe Morrow
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 36%

Post by NetMassimo »

I'm too old for this kind of story but it seems terrific for young readers, so it might be perfect to introduce kids to science fiction. Thank you for your great review!
Ciao :)
Massimo
Stevenmusk
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 60
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stevenmusk.html
Latest Review: Under the Blue Moon by Joan Schweighardt

Post by Stevenmusk »

This book seems interesting and captivating with a unique plot. I like the cover art. I look forward to reading it. Thanks for the review.
Justine Ocsebio
Latest Review: Under Nazi Noses by John Tepper Marlin (Translator), Erik Schaap (Dutch Author)

Stevenmusk wrote: 09 Jun 2022, 10:13 This book seems interesting and captivating with a unique plot. I like the cover art. I look forward to reading it. Thanks for the review.
Thank you! I hope you enjoy it :tiphat:
Justine Ocsebio

NetMassimo wrote: 25 May 2022, 15:01 I'm too old for this kind of story but it seems terrific for young readers, so it might be perfect to introduce kids to science fiction. Thank you for your great review!
Thank you! It is indeed a great book for young readers :D

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”