Review of Inferno Dawn

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Unique Ego
Favorite Book: The Tales of Little Lady M
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 73
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-unique-ego.html
Latest Review: A Dream For Peace by Dr. Ghoulem Berrah

Review of Inferno Dawn

Post by Unique Ego »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Inferno Dawn" by Jacob Emrey.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Dryden, the third son of the royal family, has never felt the weight of the responsibilities of being a prince. The convenience of his situation fuels his carefree lifestyle. Occasionally dropping his title helps the prince lead a very adventurous life, including traveling around the kingdom. On one such adventure, he comes across Astanava, a beautiful elf who is a waitress in a bar.

He is enamored of her, but an unfortunate incident occurs, which sees Astanava in jail and Dryden sent back to the royal capital at the king's request. Back at the capital, Dryden uncovers a plot by the king to take care of the disturbing orcs and the outcasts from the old war residing in Angkor-Toll. This decision resulted from centuries of hatred and animosity between humans, orcs, and elves—a decision that didn't sit well with the prince. What does he do? Does he go along with the plan to end these outcasts or betray his family to save them? To determine his destiny and make his decision, he comes across an orc named Fane and crosses paths with Astanava once again. Fate may yet have a lot in store for this trio.

Inferno Dawn by Jacob Andrew Emrey is a fantasy book that has its foundation set on the fictional resentment and animosity between humans, orcs, and elves. It is a beautiful book where Jacob constructs a very detailed fictional fantasy world that draws from some important themes in the real world. This story was an intriguing concoction that expressed themes of rape, drugs, human rights, war, racism, etc. But it wasn't all dreary; Jacob also incorporated love, allegiance, and loyalty into this tale to make it truly well rounded. His world-building was excellent, and his character development kept in step with that excellence.

This story was centered around three major characters: Dryden, Astanava, and Fane. It was interesting to read as the author intertwined the lives and experiences of these three—a human, an elf, and an orc. One would expect that they couldn't be more different from each other, but Jacob still managed an impassioned story with these characters. Their individual and collective stories seemed to have sufficient depth and the right pacing to help the story be captivating and realistic.

There were also some action scenes to enjoy. The fight scenes had my full attention whenever they came up, but they weren't overused. Jacob knew when to apply action and when to employ dialogue for the most impact at any given point within the plot. I also appreciated that the story was fairly unpredictable. This helped to keep me reading.

There was nothing negative to note, and I wouldn't mind reading a sequel. This tale was also exceptionally well edited, so I rate it 4 out of 4 stars. This story is ideal for people who have an active imagination and love adventure and fantasy stories.

Inferno Dawn
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Amy Luman
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: 2084
Bookshelf Size: 1017
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amy-luman.html
Latest Review: Time Before Time by Dan DuBose
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Amy Luman »

Fantasy stories such as this involving elves don’t really interest me. What does interest me is that you say that this parallels our world. What an intriguing way to discuss. What is happening to us and provide entertainment at the same time.
Christopherio
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-christopherio.html
Latest Review: Bama Boy by Bobby Morrison

Post by Christopherio »

I like the storyline and that it has a movie-like presence. love can make you do crazy things and I am curious to see how far the prince would go. thanks for the simplified review.
ellimctreph
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ellimctreph.html
Latest Review: Bluewater Walkabout by Tina Dreffin

Post by ellimctreph »

Wow. This sounds like an extensively built world, which I am a huge fan of. Can't wait to dive in.
NetMassimo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Exit Strategy
Bookshelf Size: 429
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: The Ripsons by Joe Morrow
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 41%

Post by NetMassimo »

This seems like an engaging fantasy adventure that uses some classic elements of this genre to create a story that is realistic despite the use of fantastic creatures. Thank you for your great review!
Ciao :)
Massimo

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”