Review of Alienation

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Emily_Jen
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 78
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-emily-jen.html
Latest Review: Social Media Marketing Strategy by S. M. H. Gibson

Review of Alienation

Post by Emily_Jen »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Alienation" by Laurence Tysoe.]
Book Cover
1 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

There’s a massive media response following Tim's supposed contact with aliens. Tim is a teenager who likes to fantasize about aliens and spaceships to escape from reality. Tim is invited to ITV's Good Morning program to narrate the events of his contact with the aliens. During the show, Tim recounted how he saw a cigar-shaped object hovering around the night sky around his room and how he was able to decode what sounded like an encrypted message from the aliens. What message did he find in the encryption? How does this message affect human civilization? Find answers to the questions and more in this novel called Alienation: Evolution And Revolution by Laurence Tysoe.

When I read through the book's description on Amazon, I was delighted to pick the book because I wanted to see how the author would incorporate aliens into real-life phenomena. However, when I obtained a copy of the novel, I was surprised to see that it contained only eight pages because the Amazon description showed forty-eight pages. I was also skeptical that the author would succeed in writing a good fiction story in eight pages. I have to say that the author made a mess of what would have been an interesting story.

My rating for this book is 1 out of 4 stars. I’m not sure I have been more disappointed in a book than I am with this one. I had even higher hopes when I saw the cover page of the publication, and I expected to have a thrilling experience with it, but you know what they say about judging a book by its cover. To think that I made some popcorn to eat while reading this book makes it all the more annoying for me.

Apart from the professional editing of the text, there’s nothing I like about this 8-page novel. I found no solid correlation between the interpreted message from the aliens and Tim’s explanation of what the message meant. What I mean is that Tim's conclusion on the message he received from the aliens was based on several assumptions I found lame and farfetched.

The book seemed rushed to me. I expected to see the events that led to how people got to know about what Tim had seen, as well as how they reacted to the message Tim delivered on the TV show. As it is, there’s no storyline, and the characters aren’t developed. I expected to feel attached to Tim, but the author did a poor job of painting a relatable picture of him. I will not recommend this book to anyone because I found it to be a poor read.

Alienation
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Amy Luman
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: 2084
Bookshelf Size: 1015
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amy-luman.html
Latest Review: Zona II by Fred G. Baker
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Amy Luman »

I am sorry that you were disappointed in this book, both because of its length and its content. I’m glad to know of it, however, because the cover would have enticed me, too. Contact with aliens really excites me.
Patty Allread
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: The Problems of Work
Currently Reading: Bird by Bird
Bookshelf Size: 82
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-patty-allread.html
Latest Review: Hinduism by Dr Hiro G. Badlani

Post by Patty Allread »

I agree that the book sounds like a promising story. Maybe the author could approach his story again and write a more complete and well-thought-through novel.
Gnex_09
Favorite Book: The Prodigy Slave, Book One: Journey to Winter Garden
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gnex-09.html
Latest Review: Marc Marci by Larry G. Goldsmith

Post by Gnex_09 »

I was very disappointed when I read this book. The author really needs to make corrections on this book
Christopherio
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-christopherio.html
Latest Review: Bama Boy by Bobby Morrison

Post by Christopherio »

I really liked the story line but it seems a lot still needs to be done before I can have a go at it. Thanks for the review
rose203
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rose203.html
Latest Review: Shitolian by O Persaud

Post by rose203 »

I agree with you that the book's cover art is intriguing. I am surprised you however did not like it.
Latest Review: Shitolian by O Persaud
NetMassimo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Star Maker
Bookshelf Size: 426
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: The Ripsons by Joe Morrow
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 36%

Post by NetMassimo »

This seems like the sketch of an idea for a story, not a complete work with a proper plot that gets developed. Puzzling. Thank you for your honest review!
Ciao :)
Massimo

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”