Review of L. Ron Hubbard Presents Writers of the Future Vol 38

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Vivian Stones
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: The Maestro Monologue
Bookshelf Size: 94
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vivian-stones.html
Latest Review: The Silicon Divide by Danielle Nowell

Review of L. Ron Hubbard Presents Writers of the Future Vol 38

Post by Vivian Stones »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "L. Ron Hubbard Presents Writers of the Future Vol 38" by L. Ron Hubbard, Frank Herbert, David Farland, Kevin J. Anderson, Brian Herbert and 13 award-winning .]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

L. Ron Hubbard Presents Writers of the Future Volume 38 is a collection of short stories from the winners of its contest held by L. Ron Hubbard. The book consists of thirteen stories from its winners and three stories from renowned authors like Frank Herbert, David Farland, and L. Ron Hubbard. The stories feature a seamless blend of science fiction and fantasy. The book also includes essays about writing and illustration, written as advice and inspiration to the aspiring writer.

The book includes captivating tales like Azure Arther’s "Agatha’s Monster," which follows the tale of a girl who befriends a monster in a world where hunting monsters is the most profitable business. Also, in the emotional journey that is "Tsuu Tsuu Kasva Suuremasse" by Rebecca E. Treasure, find out the lengths a woman is willing to go to and the danger she is ready to face to keep what little family she has together and alive.

Also featured in the book are Frank Herbert’s "The Daddy Box" and L. Ron Hubbard’s "The Professor Was a Thief," where some of New York’s most iconic landmarks and buildings completely disappeared, leaving no trace!

This book has a lot of positive aspects. It ensures it delivers something for every science fiction and fantasy lover. For instance, a lot of detail is given to world-building in stories like the aforementioned "Agatha’s monster" and "The Magic Book of Accidental City Destruction: A Book Wizard’s Guide" By Z.T Bright. While stories like "Gallows" by Desmond Astaire and "The Squid Is My Brother" by Mike Jack Stoumbos are very character-driven. I did appreciate the essays in the book, particularly "Boos and Taboos," which sought to encourage writers to break the status quo and be innovative. Also, the language used for the majority of the book is simple, thus, making the plots easy to follow. Despite featuring new writers, the book maintains the high standard the book has been known for through and through. No matter how much I tried, I could not find any negative aspects of this book. It was like everything about this book came together to make my reading experience much more beautiful.

I found no errors because this book was exceptionally well edited. Therefore, I rate this book 4 out of 4 stars. The beautiful and compelling nature of each story ensured my satisfaction with the book; as a result, I cannot rate it any lower. I recommend this book to lovers of science fiction and fantasy novels. People who are looking for a combination of beautiful stories would appreciate this book.

L. Ron Hubbard Presents Writers of the Future Vol 38
View: on Bookshelves
Amy Luman
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: 2084
Bookshelf Size: 1017
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amy-luman.html
Latest Review: Time Before Time by Dan DuBose
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Amy Luman »

I have my own feelings about L. Ron Hubbard, but those have no bearing here. Personally, I don’t like short stories because I don’t feel that they give the reader time to become involved. However, many people like them and L. Ron Hubbard does have expertise in the area of science fiction. This sounds like a good compilation of short stories.
Uwe Neufeld
Favorite Author: Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn
Favorite Book: Treasure Island
Currently Reading: Reconfigurement
Bookshelf Size: 52
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-uwe-neufeld.html
Latest Review: Man Mission by Eytan Uliel
fav_author_id: 3039

Post by Uwe Neufeld »

Writing a review of a book that contains 16 stories is a challenging task.
Good job!
ellimctreph
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ellimctreph.html
Latest Review: Bluewater Walkabout by Tina Dreffin

Post by ellimctreph »

Writers of the Future books always have such great stories.
Gloria lee
Currently Reading: How to Live a Life of Hope
Bookshelf Size: 6

Post by Gloria lee »

Short stories are more attractive to me, because they are short, but the content they express will not decrease. In the book, the little girl who hunts monsters and monsters become good friends. I like this story very much, and the plot with a little reversal is quite special. Thank you for your wonderful comment, which interests me a lot.
NetMassimo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Exit Strategy
Bookshelf Size: 429
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: The Ripsons by Joe Morrow
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 41%

Post by NetMassimo »

This seems like an interesting science fiction anthology with short fiction from very different years considering that there's a story by Frank Herbert and one by his son Brian, who wrote it together with Kevin J. Anderson. Thank you for your great review!
Ciao :)
Massimo

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”