Review of Caring for Your Clown Book One

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Bertha Jackson
Bookshelves Moderator
Favorite Book: Launchpad Republic: America's Entrepreneurial Edge and Why It Matters
Currently Reading: The Newton Code
Bookshelf Size: 759
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bertha-jackson.html
Latest Review: Life at the Precipice by R.F. Vincent

Review of Caring for Your Clown Book One

Post by Bertha Jackson »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Caring for Your Clown Book One" by Oleander Blume.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

As young Oliver Tarsul feeds his cats before school one morning, he thinks he sees a clown in the forest around their cabin. Later on the school bus, he sees the clown following him. The clown is still stalking him when he gets to school, so he goes to the school counselor and tells her that he thinks an imaginary clown is following him. She believes it is a side effect of his medication and sends him home to his stepfather, Jon. Jon is not surprised that he saw the clown because Oliver's mom, Marie, had been working with clowns before her death. Dindet is an alien clown whom Jon hopes can help bring Marie back. He enrolls her in school as an exchange student. Oliver is infuriated because he blames the clowns for his mother's death and does not want to be responsible for her. Does Dindet mean any harm to Oliver? Will Dindet fit in at school? What secrets will Dindet discover about Oliver? Read the science-fiction book Caring for Your Clown Book One: Aliens are Real by Oleander Blume to get the answers to these questions.

Although this is a dark book about child abuse and discrimination, Oleander Blume does an excellent job of incorporating humor into the narrative. Oliver's cats have names like Egg, Bacon, and Pancake, and Dindet tells lame jokes to Oliver when she tries to cheer him up. For example, one was about atoms being untrustworthy because they make up everything. I like how the author differentiates voice tones with capitalization and thoughts in italics. The author's research on child abuse reveals how a child will turn inward when they submit to abuse, they feel guilty and deserving of the abuse because of the bad behavior, and when they hear certain words enough times, the words start to mean nothing. The author has done a fantastic job with character development. The alien clown with star-shaped eyes, Oliver's grief over his mother's death, and the attitudes of his classmates are easy to visualize.

Although this dark book focuses on abuse and transgender discrimination, the only negative aspect I found was that a professional editor had not edited the book. Some content involving child abuse was gory; however, it helped me understand the severity of the situation.

I am giving this book 3 out of 4 stars because of the lack of professional editing. Many of the errors I encountered were the inconsistency of spelling "god" versus "God." The errors had no impact on my reading enjoyment. I am curious how Oliver's story will continue in the sequels of this book.

Due to the darkness of this book, I recommend it to mature audiences that enjoy reading science fiction about alien clowns. If non-borderline profanity, clowns, child sexual abuse, or transgender discrimination trigger you, you may want to avoid this book.

Caring for Your Clown Book One
View: on Bookshelves
Bertha R. Jackson :D
Book Reviewer at OnlineBookClub.org
nwankwo chibuchi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nwankwo-chibuchi.html
Latest Review: Cat Detectives in the Korean Peninsula by R.F. Kristi

Post by nwankwo chibuchi »

Dindet and Oliver's story should be a great read. I'd love to find answers to the questions in the last lines of the first paragraph in this book. I'm ordinarily not a fan of science fiction but your review draws me to this one. Great review.
Amy Luman
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: 2084
Bookshelf Size: 1017
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amy-luman.html
Latest Review: Time Before Time by Dan DuBose
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Amy Luman »

I am usually a real lover of science fiction, butI don’t think this is for me. I don’t like gore in the books that I read and your characterization of this as a dark story keeps me from wanting to read it. I like my books entertaining.
Blessing E
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-blessing-e.html
Latest Review: Bluewater Walkabout by Tina Dreffin

Post by Blessing E »

There's a lot explored in this book. I still believe that I can read a science fiction book. It all depends on the content of it
Adaeze Joan
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 43
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-adaeze-joan.html
Latest Review: Of Roses & Storms by Sara Omar

Post by Adaeze Joan »

Wow. This book has a very interesting storyline. The author is very creative. I have never heard of a book that has an alien clown as one of the characters. Good job on the review.
Waliyat_24
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 55
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-waliyat-24.html
Latest Review: Bi-Polaroid by David Samuelson

Post by Waliyat_24 »

Wow! I love this storyline. It’s captivating and contains quite some suspense. I’ll really like to know what plan Dindet has.
Uwe Neufeld
Favorite Author: Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn
Favorite Book: Treasure Island
Currently Reading: Reconfigurement
Bookshelf Size: 52
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-uwe-neufeld.html
Latest Review: Man Mission by Eytan Uliel
fav_author_id: 3039

Post by Uwe Neufeld »

I am not so much a fan of clowns, since we had one as president a few years ago. Nonetheless it's a fascinating book with a curious plott.
Stevenmusk
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 60
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stevenmusk.html
Latest Review: Under the Blue Moon by Joan Schweighardt

Post by Stevenmusk »

Wow this seems really deep like there are hidden messages that could only be shared by reading the book. Thanks for the review.
NetMassimo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Exit Strategy
Bookshelf Size: 429
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: The Ripsons by Joe Morrow
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 41%

Post by NetMassimo »

This seems like a terrific novel that addressed important issues and at the same time makes use of humor. Thank you for your great review!
Ciao :)
Massimo

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”