Review of Dragon's Egg

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Israel10
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-israel10.html
Latest Review: Creating Wellbeing and Building Resilience in the Veterinary Profession by Sonja A. Olson, DVM

Review of Dragon's Egg

Post by Israel10 »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Dragon's Egg" by S. R. Langley.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Are you looking to discover an exciting book series to binge on? Are you looking for a book that will hook you in and won’t let you go? You need not look any further because this is the perfect book for you.

Dragon’s Egg by S.R. Langley is the first book of the Dragon’s Erf Series. At the beginning of this fantasy adventure, we are introduced to Roger Briggs, a stammerer and science enthusiast. He is being chased by a gang of bullies while on a scientific expedition. He bumps into Mary Madam, a daring girl as well as a nature lover. In order to escape from their callous pursuers, they make it to the mysterious and ill-famed Bad Wood. They discover diverse unearthly creatures and meet the Queen of the True Dragons, Mavis. She politely assigns them the task of watching over her unhatched dragon prince, Regor, from the evil Lord of the Core and his minions. Do Roger and Mary have what it takes to shield the rightful heir to the throne of the True Dragons from his vicious enemies? I urge you to find out in this gripping story.

This book has some positive aspects. There are books you can’t put down once you get going, and this is one of them. This is a story filled with action, danger, magic, and suspense. The author’s stimulating and taut description of the action-packed scenes profoundly activated my imagination. I really loved how he uniquely communicated the Queen Dragon’s confrontation with the three-headed Hydra and the Core Worms. This part of the book did not only send chills down my spine but also made me feel like I was entirely part of the fight scene. In addition, this book has an entertaining cast of rare, mythological creatures and likable protagonists that share a healthy dose of humor and affection.

Roger’s transformation from weak to brave and Mary’s gutsy attitude ensured they remained compelling throughout the course of the story. I noticed just an error while reading the author’s narrations; this is proof that he paid attention to this book’s editing. Even though there were errors in the dialogues, this is understandable because the manner of speaking the author adopted required it. Thanks to his professional editing, the writing flow was effective, and my reading experience was enjoyable. Would I hesitate to read the second book of this series? Of course not; I will definitely love to find out how Roger and Mary accomplish their challenging task.

I only discovered one negative aspect. The ‘hillbilly’ or ‘hick’ accent the heroine, Mary, often spoke with was quite unnecessary. Notwithstanding, this is an excellent book that can be read in one sitting and won’t be regretted. I rate this book four out of four stars particularly because of S.R. Langley’s vivid descriptions. I recommend this book to lovers of fantasy adventure stories.

Dragon's Egg
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Amy Luman
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: 2084
Bookshelf Size: 1017
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amy-luman.html
Latest Review: Time Before Time by Dan DuBose
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Amy Luman »

Wow! Being put in charge of such a critical task would be daunting to most. Roger and Mary seem to have to grow as people to accomplish it. Doing so against such adversity is impressive. I’m also intrigued by the vivid description you mention. That’s usually my favorite part of a book.
Admoko Admoko
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Admoko Admoko »

Wow!That’s usually my favorite part of a book. Being put in charge of such a critical task would be daunting to most. Roger and Mary seem to have to grow as people to accomplish it. Doing so against such adversity is impressive. I’m also intrigued by the vivid description you mention.
Lindsey Larbi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lindsey-larbi.html
Latest Review: visiting With An Angel by Jerry A Greenberg

Post by Lindsey Larbi »

A mother's love cannot be quantified. Mavis, the queen of the true dragons is seen demonstrating that. I believe there was more she did to protect her child. I will like to find out. Thank you for arousing my interest in this book.
Nice review
KafeliKe
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kafelike.html
Latest Review: The Party Line by Dennis D. Gagnon

Post by KafeliKe »

Dragon’s Egg by S.R. Langley sounds like an interview novel. It has a well-thought out cover page and a provacative title. I have made up my mind to read this book. I enjoyed the review as well.
SunVixen
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 110
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sunvixen.html
Latest Review: Tau Ceti: A Ship from Earth by George T. Hahn

Post by SunVixen »

Babysitters for the unhatched dragon prince? This could be a very interesting book.
Thanks for the great review.
Elenimo Chembe
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elenimo-chembe.html
Latest Review: A Dream For Peace by Dr. Ghoulem Berrah

Post by Elenimo Chembe »

I like the character of Roger Briggs and the fact that is a stammerer and a science enthusiast. I also like the review, simple and informative.
Jen Nghishitende
Currently Reading: Exploring Wine Regions – Bordeaux France
Bookshelf Size: 65
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jen-nghishitende.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by Jen Nghishitende »

Wow this review should be placed as an ad for this book! The book sounds amazing and enthralling. Thanks for the review.
bestfriendswithbooks
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: The Name of the Wind
Bookshelf Size: 236
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bestfriendswithbooks.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker

Post by bestfriendswithbooks »

Oh wow!! This book is calling out to me. Dragons magic and suspense all packed in one book, is just pure bliss for someone who loves such stories! ❤️Cannot wait to get my hands in this book!
Cocobutta
Currently Reading: Hidden Current
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cocobutta.html
Latest Review: Cat Detectives in the Korean Peninsula by R.F. Kristi

Post by Cocobutta »

Your review of this book is very interesting to read. I would love to read this book to explore the vivid descriptions you mentioned. Considering its the first part of a series, I am hoping I won't be left on a cliff hanger. Great review.
Krabb
Currently Reading: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventure
Bookshelf Size: 23

Post by Krabb »

From the reviews it seems great and quite intriguing to read, the dragon part in it really hook me up
Madu Abigail
Currently Reading: The Unseelie Crown
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-madu-abigail.html
Latest Review: Bluewater Walkabout by Tina Dreffin

Post by Madu Abigail »

This seems like an interesting book. I would definitely get this book in my shelf. Thanks for this wonderful review.
Rachel T 5
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rachel-t-5.html
Latest Review: Luray by Dennis Haupt

Post by Rachel T 5 »

I was super intrigued by this book! I'll have to give it a read, your review sounds a lot more compelling than what its description makes it out to be. I'm always a sucker for dragons, I'll have to give this a shot!
Latest Review: Luray by Dennis Haupt
NetMassimo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: The Killing Machine
Bookshelf Size: 428
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: The Ripsons by Joe Morrow
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 40%

Post by NetMassimo »

This seems like an engaging fantasy novel that uses some classic themes of this genre and mythical creatures to build a fictional world. I'll look into this series. Thank you for your great review!
Ciao :)
Massimo
Kulultu Sorale
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kulultu-sorale.html
Latest Review: A Dream For Peace by Dr. Ghoulem Berrah

Post by Kulultu Sorale »

Books such as this with a storyline about a bullied misfit who has a lot of intriguing adventures will always be a hit. Great review.

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”