Review of Back to You

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Anthony__
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 459
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anthony.html
Latest Review: Its Saddest Sound by Pirjo Marjut Vega-Brandt

Review of Back to You

Post by Anthony__ »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Back to You" by Steve Bates.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Back To You by Steve Bates is a 175-page book that talks about the journey of some individuals into the unknown. The book contains the themes of love, adventure, and technology.

Everything starts to change when Eddie Corbin came across a food truck controlled by Bess. Bess, who is artificial intelligence, had the sole function of offering temporary transport. Eddie’s curiosity leads him to this great discovery which he discloses to his boss, Tony. Tony sees this as an opportunity to save the television network. With the aid of reporters Deidre Lucchesi and Wade, Tony comes up with a program that involves the reporters going back in time to periods of remarkable events. Unfortunately, Bess got damaged, which affected the past and furure events. Several attempts to rectify the damage being done proved futile. The actions of Sudoku, a demon who liked the television programme, “Friends,” had a hand in an unusual occurrence that led to the issues of doppelgangers at various places. What fate awaits these individuals who venture on a journey filled with hurdles? Read this book to find out.

I commend Steve Bates for his skillfulness in weaving together an excellent plot that showcases events of the past, present, and future at the same time. The characterization was top-notch. Every character is distinct, with fantastic suspense. For instance, who would have thought that a demon would be self-conscious of his image? That is one of the things that occurred in the case of Sudoku. This beautiful piece is intriguing. The author uses simple words, which adds beauty to the plot, making it more relatable for the reader.

The author did not make use of the chapter’s formats. Instead, he used titles that depict the setting of the ongoing event. That makes it easy for the reader to flow with the happenings in the book. I was thrilled by the time travel experience I encountered. Every aspect of the book had me feeling like I was travelling through time. My favourite character is Deidre. At the onset, I had doubts about her character, but after delving more profound, I could not help but admire her tenacity. The moment when she had to decide on either going back to her former life or staying with the family was the turning point for me. She was not afraid to let go and try something new. I also enjoyed the banter between Glorious leader and Navigator. It was amusing to imagine the mix-up that occurred because of the names involved. I rate this book 4 out of 4 stars because it is innovative and passes across valuable life lessons.

Also, how the author portrayed Bess and ascribed human feelings to her was splendid. It provides a whole new look to technology advancement. There is nothing to dislike about the book. While reading the book, I encountered two grammatical errors and was impressed at the effort the author put into ensuring the reader had a pleasurable reading experience.

I recommend this book to lovers of sci-fi novels who are interested in the advancement of technology. Readers will understand that every decision we make is vital in shaping our future.

Back to You
View: on Bookshelves
Stephanie Cameron
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stephanie-cameron.html
Latest Review: Grizzly Lake by Robert Woods

Post by Stephanie Cameron »

This sounds very interesting and makes me curious. Your review raises questions that make me want to read this book. Like did the reporters get stuck? Did Bess get fixed? Great Job.
Amy Luman
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: 2084
Bookshelf Size: 1017
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amy-luman.html
Latest Review: Time Before Time by Dan DuBose
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Amy Luman »

I am very interested in artificial intelligence and time travel and this novel contains both. It’s got to be good. I am also fascinated by the self-awaareness of Sudoku and Bess.
Ogechi Orlumeni
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ogechi-orlumeni.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by Ogechi Orlumeni »

Usually, I have no interest in sci-fi novels. However, I’m a bit curious about the character Bess and I want to learn more about her.
Lynda Gordon
Currently Reading: Final Act
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lynda-gordon.html
Latest Review: E M P Honeymoon by Dorothy May Mercer
Reading Device: B07G4M8TXS

Post by Lynda Gordon »

Fantastic review. I'm hooked on the character Bess. As a sci-fi lover, this sounds like a must to read!
Akinola John
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 50
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-akinola-john.html
Latest Review: Running the Sahara by Marcel Nickler

Post by Akinola John »

A sci-fi with themes of love, adventure, and technology. I love how the author blend different characters together. The author makes use of simple words that readers can relate to. I am glad you enjoyed reading this book. Thanks for the great review.
Madu Abigail
Currently Reading: The Unseelie Crown
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-madu-abigail.html
Latest Review: Bluewater Walkabout by Tina Dreffin

Post by Madu Abigail »

I love sci-fi, and one with time travel and artificial intelligence is a must read for me. Nice review
Daniella Oconnor
Favorite Book: Unlight
Currently Reading: The Three Little Monsters and the Cranky King
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-daniella-oconnor.html
Latest Review: The Cult Next Door by Elizabeth R. Burchard, Judith L. Carlone

Post by Daniella Oconnor »

Hi this review has made my mind up to read this. Currently reviewing a great book that also is about A.I Tau Ceti a ship from earth the library ship saga, is about a while computer A.I turned scentient. It's a brilliant first book in the series. Well worth a look!
Danie72
Kyrian007
Currently Reading: Hard Journey of the Heart: Jesse's Story
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kyrian007.html
Latest Review: A Dream For Peace by Dr. Ghoulem Berrah

Post by Kyrian007 »

I found the review because of the book's cover, and I'm really enjoying how thoroughly it's been discussed. Reading the book will be enjoyable. Your review is fantastic, so thank you.
novitasolossa
Favorite Book: How to Live a Life of Hope
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 37

Post by novitasolossa »

I love sci-fi. The character of Bess described in this review makes me curious. I love it especially how it's delivered. Great reviews.

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”