Review of Stormsend

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Brenda Creech
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Mary Pat Ferron Caines
Favorite Book: The Reel Sisters
Currently Reading: Rainbow’s End
Bookshelf Size: 357
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-brenda-creech.html
Latest Review: Was She Crying for Me? by Jerry Hyde
fav_author_id: 253250

Review of Stormsend

Post by Brenda Creech »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Stormsend" by Michael Paul Scott.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The fictional sci-fi fantasy novel Stormsend: Saga of the Freewilds Book One by Michael Paul Scott is the first book in the Saga of the Freewilds trilogy. The story features a detective named Lukarde Alfans, who is framed for murder by an evil cult leader. Elrick Castille is the leader of the Cult of Ebon, a group of witches and warlocks who use humans as sacrifices, especially children. Lukarde was on the verge of exposing the cult when he got framed for murder. After receiving a letter from a stranger, he gets a ride on the ship Knaves Gambit and heads for Westport in the far away Freewilds hoping he might find something that will clear his name. However, he gets on the wrong side of the Captain's and crew's anger and wonders if he will make it to Westport.

In Westport, two of the Watchers had discovered a sign about a young girl who had disappeared. No one seemed concerned except Watcher Myles Gaspard and Watcher Tey Gilles. Since seeing the sign someone posted about the missing girl, Myles started having nightmares about another Watcher getting attacked. Myles was angry because the Watchers patrolled areas such as the docks but not the areas where people lived. More and more signs were showing up about missing people. Was it too late to get the people to trust them and find out who was taking the citizens of Westport?

Scott has written a gripping tale about a demonic cult and its victims. Westport is on the outskirts of Castilleland, where rich and selfish people live in luxury. Westport residents are targets of the cult. Castilleland is where the cult leader, Elrick Castille, the very person who framed Lukarde Alfanes, lives. I appreciated the character development of the author. The characters were relatable and believable, and their fear was palpable.

My favorite part of this book is how Myles and Tey were brave enough to go against the rules of the Watchers and were determined to find out what was happening to the town's citizens. They had been going door to door as more and more signs were posted of people missing, but no one would come to the doors and speak with them. The people were afraid and had never had anyone look out for them. How do you fight demon worshippers when you don't know who belongs to the organization?

Sci-fi fantasy books are not my favorite genre. However, this one held my attention. The only negative aspect I found is the violent scenes. There wasn't a lot of them, but the ones there were, were very graphic, which may limit the audience the book could have.

There was only a small amount of profanity and just a few typos which led me to believe the book had professional editing. The storyline is creative, and the ending makes way for book two of this trilogy. I commend the author for his imaginative storytelling ability. For all of the above reasons, I am happy to rate this book 4 out of 4 stars. I did not find any reason to deduct a star.

I highly recommend this book to adult lovers of sci-fi fantasy stories. Because of the few violent scenes, I wouldn't recommend it to anyone younger than sixteen.

Stormsend
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
B. Creech
"Like beauty in the eyes, the divinity of the rose may be in the nose that smells it, and the lover that beholds it." Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
Phooko Tebogo PC
Favorite Author: Walter E. Broach
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 65
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-phooko-tebogo-pc.html
Latest Review: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures by Catherine A. Pepe
fav_author_id: 202169

Post by Phooko Tebogo PC »

The introductory paragraph of your review got me curious and a need to know more about it. I can tell through the review that you have enjoyed it. This is a Great review.
"Live to leave a mark, the footprints of the greatest" :obscene-drinkingcheers:
~Phooko tebogo
Brenda Creech

Post by Brenda Creech »

Phooko Tebogo PC wrote: 18 Jul 2022, 06:14 The introductory paragraph of your review got me curious and a need to know more about it. I can tell through the review that you have enjoyed it. This is a Great review.
Thank you so much! Thanks for stopping by and commenting!
B. Creech
"Like beauty in the eyes, the divinity of the rose may be in the nose that smells it, and the lover that beholds it." Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
NetMassimo
Currently Reading: Exit Strategy
Bookshelf Size: 429
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: The Ripsons by Joe Morrow
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 41%

Post by NetMassimo »

This seems like an intriguing fantasy novel that starts a bigger story with some ominous events in which well-developed characters start their adventure. I'll look into this series. Thank you for your great review!
Ciao :)
Massimo
Brenda Creech

Post by Brenda Creech »

NetMassimo wrote: 09 Aug 2022, 07:03 This seems like an intriguing fantasy novel that starts a bigger story with some ominous events in which well-developed characters start their adventure. I'll look into this series. Thank you for your great review!
Thank you! I am not an avid sci-fi or fantasy fan, but I did enjoy this book. Thanks for stopping by and commenting!
B. Creech

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”