Review of The Witch's Garden

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Shelby Ayres
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 50
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shelby-ayres.html
Latest Review: The Wrong Side of the Room by Norman Mathews

Review of The Witch's Garden

Post by Shelby Ayres »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Witch's Garden" by William Lyon.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Witch’s Garden by William Lyon is a sci-fi novel about a botanist, Richard, who travels to the Amazon and acquires a symbiont who appears as his high school crush in his dreams. The symbiont then proceeds to explain to him that it is preparing him to meet his high school crush in person. Richard talks everything through with his therapist, who believes it is all in his head. Richard and the symbiont engage in many sexual activities in the dreams to prepare him to meet his high school crush, Carol. Richard and Carol meet on the 20th anniversary of their high school graduation and immediately hit it off. He tells Carol of the symbiont and while she seems skeptical, they engage in sexual activities. Afterward, Carol notices that the same person keeps showing up in her dreams. The two of them soon realize that Carol now has a symbiont of her own. They then try and maneuver their newfound relationship with the symbionts, who have their own personalities and agendas. How do you think the public will react?

I enjoyed the layout of the book. The beginning chapters bounced back and forth between Richard’s past and his present. They worked together to seamlessly paint a picture. I loved the mystery of the screaming lady at the beginning of the book; it gave an aura of the unknown. This book had a huge snowball effect. It started slow and a little confusing, but as I continued to read the book, I really could not put it down; I needed answers.

My only small gripe or dislike about this book would be the number of sexual instances throughout the book. I felt that some of them were unnecessary but that is just my opinion. I would estimate that around half the book consists of erotic talks or acts.

I rate this book 4 out of 4. The book is exceptionally well-edited; I found no grammatical or spelling errors in the book. The book has these fictional ideas about the virus, but all the background knowledge of biology and such had me believing it. I commend the author for weaving fiction and facts in such a way that allows the reader to be as immersed as I was. The book had a great flow. The plot was fresh and unique.

I would recommend this book to anyone who enjoys reading sci-fi books. I think people that enjoy reading books about biology and viral infections would thoroughly enjoy this book. Due to the erotic nature of the book, I would highly recommend this book to adults or advise the reader’s discretion. In no way were the erotic scenes graphic, but there was an abundance of scenes and talks of erotic acts.

The Witch's Garden
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
WriteOn
Currently Reading: Wild World
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-writeon.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by WriteOn »

They then try and maneuver their newfound relationship with the symbionts, who have their own personalities and agendas. How do you think the public will react?

Takes imaginary friends to another level!
It looks like quite a surreal story but you explained it well in your thorough review - it's great. I appreciate your consideration of readers in the recommendations.
Thank you Shelby Ayres
Madu Abigail
Currently Reading: The Unseelie Crown
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-madu-abigail.html
Latest Review: Bluewater Walkabout by Tina Dreffin

Post by Madu Abigail »

From my experience, I can tell that this book is going to be very interesting. I would definitely get this book in my shelf. Thanks for this wonderful review.
Shelby Ayres
Currently Reading:

Post by Shelby Ayres »

Mrs D O wrote: 11 Jul 2022, 07:10
They then try and maneuver their newfound relationship with the symbionts, who have their own personalities and agendas. How do you think the public will react?

Takes imaginary friends to another level!
It looks like quite a surreal story but you explained it well in your thorough review - it's great. I appreciate your consideration of readers in the recommendations.
Thank you Shelby Ayres
At least someone will always have your back! As someone who has been reading pretty much their whole life, I prefer reviews that are very transparent in the content that the book has. Just in case it could be inappropriate for some readers.
Ada Chris
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ada-chris.html
Latest Review: Hunger of the Pine by Teal Swan

Post by Ada Chris »

Nice review Shelby! I would love a good sci-fi novel filled with suspense, I would love to know about what happened to the two couples and their symbionts at the end. The author did a good job writing this book, I’m definitely reading this book.
SparkindaGl0
Currently Reading: On Becoming Me: Memoir of an 80's Teenager
Bookshelf Size: 35

Post by SparkindaGl0 »

Definitely going to get this book and get to reading tonight! I am also curious what the readers may thing of this fantasy erotica between married couple and hope they keep an open mind. It sounds very interesting from the great review, thanks!
Shelby Ayres
Currently Reading:

Post by Shelby Ayres »

Ada Chris wrote: 12 Jul 2022, 09:17 Nice review Shelby! I would love a good sci-fi novel filled with suspense, I would love to know about what happened to the two couples and their symbionts at the end. The author did a good job writing this book, I’m definitely reading this book.
Thank you! I would definitely recommend this book! This book was outstanding from start to finish, and I hope you agree.
NetMassimo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Star Maker
Bookshelf Size: 426
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: The Ripsons by Joe Morrow
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 36%

Post by NetMassimo »

Makes you wonder if the symbiont is actually a parasite like the mythological succubus, considering that those creatures seem to have their own agendas. I'm curious about those developments. Thank you for your great review!
Ciao :)
Massimo

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”