Review of Rayne Storm

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Bertha Jackson
Bookshelves Moderator
Favorite Book: Launchpad Republic: America's Entrepreneurial Edge and Why It Matters
Currently Reading: The Newton Code
Bookshelf Size: 758
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bertha-jackson.html
Latest Review: Life at the Precipice by R.F. Vincent

Review of Rayne Storm

Post by Bertha Jackson »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Rayne Storm" by Stephanie Colbert.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Lucinda Deveraux goes to Private Investigator Rayne Parker and tells her that her husband was burned to death by a demon named Marchosias. Marchosias is the Marquis of Hell, Commander of Thirty Legions, and the King of Killers. Lucinda offers her $1,000,000 to kill the demon her mother and grandmother had hunted for years. Rayne does not believe in demons, and she thought her mother and grandmother were demon fanatics, a life she did not want to be a part of. Everything changes for her when her boyfriend's father is burned to death, and Detective Wilson accuses her of this murder plus four others who died the same way. Sitting in a jail cell, Rayne decides it is time she talked to her grandmother, whom she left years ago. Can Rayne's grandmother help her? Can Rayne prove her innocence? Will she be able to hunt down the King of Killers and slay him? Will she survive? Read the science-fiction novel Rayne Storm: Hunters of Evil Series Book 1 by Stephanie Colbert to find the answers to these questions.

Stephanie Colbert has done a fantastic job with character development. I could easily visualize the gargoyles, the witch, and the demon. I enjoyed reading the history behind the gargoyles being drainage spouts to protect Gothic cathedrals and castles in the 13th century. The mixture of crime thriller, romance, and science fiction genres kept me turning the pages. The humor within the pages gave me relief from the gory content. For example, Rayne refers to the police officers as "Donut Patrols." This reference was not nice, but it made me laugh. The author does an excellent job closing out this first book in the series and not leaving me wondering what happened next.

This book has only one negative aspect: it has not been professionally edited. Many errors consisting of extra punctuation, missing punctuation, and typographical errors are throughout the book. However, none of these errors took away from my reading enjoyment.

The only option I have is to rate this book 3 out of 4 stars because of the number of errors. This book would deserve four stars once it has been professionally edited. I have no reason to give this enjoyable book a lower rating because it has a fast-paced plot that flows smoothly. I look forward to reading the next book in the series.

Fans of crime thrillers, romance, and science-fiction books are the ones I recommend this book to. However, it is inappropriate for younger or sensitive readers because of the non-borderline profanity and gory content.

Rayne Storm
View: on Bookshelves
Bertha R. Jackson :D
Book Reviewer at OnlineBookClub.org
Amy Luman
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: 2084
Bookshelf Size: 1017
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amy-luman.html
Latest Review: Time Before Time by Dan DuBose
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Amy Luman »

I’m not looking for a new series right now, but you mentioned that everything is wrapped up at the end.I want to read it, then. I really like stories about demons and I am intrigued by Rayne using her grandmother’s knowledge to learn about them.
Chimereucheya Okoroafo
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 57
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chimereucheya-okoroafo.html
Latest Review: Life's ecstasy and eternal struggles by Sandra mayfield

Post by Chimereucheya Okoroafo »

Not really too interested about demons since it's quite difficult to portray their personalities but if this is truly exceptional, I'd give it a try. Nice review.
You have a life to live. If you ain't living it, that's failure. :tiphat:
Fearnia Laurel
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fearnia-laurel.html
Latest Review: Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless by Mitzi Perdue

Post by Fearnia Laurel »

This looks to be a fun book with an interesting plot line. I'm intrigued to know how Rayne's grandmother is involved in the demon business, if she experienced what Rayne just experienced; that one of her close one was burned by the demons. Thank you for the review.
Shadreck Rogers
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shadreck-rogers.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Shadreck Rogers »

The array of characters in this book is just captivating. I like the book and thanks for the review.
NetMassimo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Exit Strategy
Bookshelf Size: 429
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: The Ripsons by Joe Morrow
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 41%

Post by NetMassimo »

This seems like a terrific mix of different genres with the only big flaw of not being properly edited, so I hope the author does another round of proofreading to make it excellent. I'll look into this series. Thank you for your great review!
Ciao :)
Massimo
Divina Cousin
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 6
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-divina-cousin.html
Latest Review: Terms of Service by Craig W. Stanfill

Post by Divina Cousin »

I find it funny that what Rayne didn't believe in ended up putting her in jail. Normally, I'm not interested in Fantasy books like this, but the plot seems interesting and you added that it was comedic at some points which I also love. Thank you for the great review!

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”