Review of The Stand

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Obinna Chima Agoms
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 114
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bibliophile-reviewer.html
Latest Review: Why Rock The Boat When You Don't Know How To Swim? by Daniel Sebata

Review of The Stand

Post by Obinna Chima Agoms »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Stand" by Tayma Tameem.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Stand is the fifth and final book in the Seeker 5 series by Tayma Tameem. I haven't had the chance to read the previous books in the series, so this review is solely based on my opinion of this fifth book.

The story continues with the events that transpire after Skylar Calleum and her friends pass the seeker trial and get a better life in the Republic. The Republic has been at war with the Continental Republic for years. However, that is not their greatest threat. Her main goal is to free the Republic from tyranny by helping the rebels. What steep price will her goal demand to come into fruition?

First and foremost, I'd advise readers to read the previous books to get the complete picture. Though readers might understand the general idea from this book alone, they might not appreciate the character depth built from past events. The motives might be lost on them. The seeker trial that happened before was an interesting plot device. It seemed to act as a crucible for who our protagonists became in this installment. The author's frequent referencing of it grew my curiosity. I would likely read the previous books to satisfy that urge.

There were three protagonists involved in the story. Skylar, Jeremy, and Kyle. Each had personal ambitions till their goals coincided. The author switched their viewpoints quite appropriately. Never leaving one behind, they synergized to create a smooth flow in storytelling. They had their unique personalities. Jeremy and Skylar had this romantic tension that provided comic relief where and when necessary.

The plot may sound cliché or familiar, but it doesn't make it any less enjoyable. It gives off the vibes of The Hunger Games, with the author putting her spin on it. It is always easy to paint the villains in a bad light. However, I have come to understand and respect their demeanor, especially a well-written one, like General Hillstone, the main antagonist. He fits the classic dictator trope well and is a significant driver of the plot's progress.

The Stand provided a fitting end to a wonderful series. Tayma left no plot thread hanging. The author's writing style was quite appealing to read. She kept her plot direct and avoided fillers. There were no errors in spelling or grammar; the editing was exceptional. There was nothing with which to fault the book. Therefore, I’d rate it 4 out of 4 stars. I would recommend it to readers who love the sci-fi genre. Also, if you love good writing with an exciting plot, you should devour The Stand without hesitation.

The Stand
View: on Bookshelves
Ayesha Ameera Memon
Currently Reading: Culture Jock
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ayesha-ameera-memon.html
Latest Review: Natural Relief for Anxiety and Stress by Gustavo Kinrys, MD

Post by Ayesha Ameera Memon »

I enjoy books that despite being part of a series, can be enjoyable to read as standalone novels. As a big fan of the hunger games, I love the idea behind this novel and am excited to find out how the author put their own spin on it! Great review!
Amy Luman
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Time Before Time
Bookshelf Size: 1015
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amy-luman.html
Latest Review: All the Targets by Noah Bond
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Amy Luman »

The final book in a series isn’t where I’d like to start. Ms. Taneem is an exceptional author, inn my opinion, however, so if you have such a high opinion of this novel I think I’ll read the first ones, too.
IconReviews
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 136
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-iconreviews.html
Latest Review: Doctoroo & the Case of the Picnic Pirates by Dr. Rachel B. Wellner

Post by IconReviews »

Tayma Tameem is one of my favorite authors, so there's no doubt in my mind that this was a wonderful book to read. I would like to start reading the first book since it doesn't seem to be a standalone
Kyrian007
Currently Reading: Hard Journey of the Heart: Jesse's Story
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kyrian007.html
Latest Review: A Dream For Peace by Dr. Ghoulem Berrah

Post by Kyrian007 »

I love this review for its descriptive nature. I see that this book carries morals that we can learn from and practice it in our lives. I look forward to reading this book, thank you for the review.
Madu Abigail
Currently Reading: The Unseelie Crown
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-madu-abigail.html
Latest Review: Bluewater Walkabout by Tina Dreffin

Post by Madu Abigail »

From my experience, this book is going to be an interesting read. Wonderful review.
Shadreck Rogers
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shadreck-rogers.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Shadreck Rogers »

The plot of this book is interesting and Skylar, Jeremy, and Kyle sound like intriguing characters.
Elruach
Currently Reading: devil pulls the strings
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elruach.html
Latest Review: Terms of Service by Craig W. Stanfill

Post by Elruach »

I love peeking at reviews to get a hint of what pleasures await in a book. This book sure promises a lot. Great review.
NetMassimo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Flinx's Folly
Bookshelf Size: 419
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: Three Bullets by Charles Alexander
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 26%

Post by NetMassimo »

I stopped being surprised reading very positive reviews of Tayma Tameem's novels a long time ago. In this case, the fact that it's the final novel of a series is a good thing, as I can start from the first novel knowing that I can go on until the end. Thank you for your great review!
Ciao :)
Massimo

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”