Review of Display of Power

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Muna Chizzy
Currently Reading: Gardening With Guns
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-muna-chizzy.html
Latest Review: Timewise by Robert Leet

Review of Display of Power

Post by Muna Chizzy »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Display of Power" by Steven D Dottery.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Faith has experienced a lot. She lost her mother; she recently lost her job; and she discovered her boyfriend's infidelity. Trying to find comfort in how miserable her life is, a little. She and her friend Carly smoked weed that Carly had purchased from a dealer. After the fun she and her friend had, Faith went to sleep. When she awoke, she felt strange. Faith saw herself leaping off a three-story building unharmed and entering a zoo that was locked and closed for the day. She gained entry to a tightly guarded zoo and climbed into a bear cage using the supernatural ability she senses that makes her stronger. The bear's and Faith's bodies were discovered within the cage the following morning. Faith engaged in a bloody struggle, killed the bear, and later perished from her wound. Will Creed City's elite be able to avert the impending danger? Find out what will become of Creed City with this sudden and strange event.

In his book, Display of Power, Steven D Dottery depicts a world where people are hungry for power. How the powerful exploit the weak and how the rich continue to amass wealth while the poor continue to fall into poverty. Generations have passed with Creed City's elites in charge. The largest and most prosperous companies in the nation are owned by them. The members of this elite group belong to a covert organization where they meet often to fortify their ties and the dark magic they use. They trod on the underprivileged and exploited them in order to ascend. Through a separate medium, they use magical power to take control of the collective thoughts, including things like televisions, alcohol, food, and a host of other things. The author did a fantastic job of capturing the world in which we live. It's a book that engrossed me and caused me to consider the story's hindsight. While delighting the readers, the narrative delivers a powerful message. The dialogue in the novel is superbly written, dripping with irony and humour, and the author has a wonderful writing style.

Steven's outstanding descriptive technique captures the characters' complexities, personalities, and what sets them apart from one another. The chaotic incident in which they took part—which included horrifying killings, the kidnapping of defenseless children, and the demonstration of magical abilities—seems vivid and alive on the written page. As they observe the various scenes, readers will feel as though they are actually in this fantastical world. Only the characters' knowledge of the story's magical operations is revealed by the author, and by the end, many questions remain.

My favorite character in the story is Erik Rosemont. Erik belongs to the elite, yet he despises their ways of doing things. He wishes he had not been born into this well-known family. He admired the way of life of ordinary people, who toil away and value their daily wages. He got everything handed to him on a silver platter, and his future was already secured, yet he wasn't happy. He wanted to do everything on his own merits, without interference from anyone else. Only his last course of action left me feeling let down.

In this publication, I found nothing unfavorable. The narrative's plot is interesting and well-organized. The diction is understandable and crystal clear. If this wonderful narrative has a sequel, I will be happy to read it.

Fans of mythology, science fiction, and fantasy will appreciate this book because it has many entertaining components. I'm happy to give this book four out of four stars. Professional editing was done on the book. One inaccuracy was all I could find in the book. The tale of lost humanity, thirst for power, and control is an intriguing one.

Display of Power
View: on Bookshelves
Francis Omotayo Aderogbin
Currently Reading: The Great Migration
Bookshelf Size: 66
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-francis-omotayo-aderogbin.html
Latest Review: Escape from Tuoyawon by R. Murrey Haist

Post by Francis Omotayo Aderogbin »

This is truly an intriguing review. While reading this review, I stood still devouring all the details. How can someone just got a superpower by just sharing weed and alcohol? This is incredible and I wish to find out in this book. I like the simplicity of the cover tooo.
You are yet to be the best version of yourself. Keep refining.
GNerd
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gnerd.html
Latest Review: Surviving the Business of Healthcare by Barbara Galutia Regis PA-C

Post by GNerd »

This book is timely. Power can be usurped and this book is an amazing eye opener to let people know what happens. I think I'll enjoy this book. Your review was well detailed and I enjoyed every bit of it.
Nwaka Chukwuemeka
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nwaka-chukwuemeka.html
Latest Review: A Dream For Peace by Dr. Ghoulem Berrah

Post by Nwaka Chukwuemeka »

I can relate to faith challenges when it comes to emotional trauma. I can feel her pain, and your creative review has made me fall in love with the book. Great review.
Amy Luman
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: 2084
Bookshelf Size: 1017
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amy-luman.html
Latest Review: Time Before Time by Dan DuBose
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Amy Luman »

I’m left wondering how Faith’s untimely death relates to the elite of Creed City. Like another poster, I think that this has a lot to do with what we are experiencing today, particularly in America.
Oyedeji Funmilayo
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 105
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-oyedeji-funmilayo.html
Latest Review: Man Mission by Eytan Uliel

Post by Oyedeji Funmilayo »

Waaw!!! This book sounds intresting. How did Faith got in the cage? What is the relationship between the powerful and Faith in the cave? I look forward to reading the book and finding answers to this questions. Wonderful review, welldone.
Moyin Loveth
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-moyin-loveth.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker

Post by Moyin Loveth »

Even though the book is fictional, it is right in depicting that so many people in real life are extremely desperate for power. Faith story seems quite interesting to me so I'll be reading this book.
Paully_
Currently Reading: 30th Century: Escape (First Edition)
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-paully.html
Latest Review: Red Endures the Test of Time by Thomas Fullmer

Post by Paully_ »

There seems to be a lot going on in Faith's life. I'm a fan of Fantasy and science fiction and I would gladly explore the book. Nicely written review.
NetMassimo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: The Killing Machine
Bookshelf Size: 428
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: The Ripsons by Joe Morrow
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 40%

Post by NetMassimo »

This seems like an engaging novel with well-constructed characters and an important central theme such as power use and abuse. Thank you for your great review!
Ciao :)
Massimo
Precious Oba
Currently Reading: Bluewater walkabout into Africa
Bookshelf Size: 35
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-precious-oba.html
Latest Review: Surviving the Business of Healthcare by Barbara Galutia Regis PA-C

Post by Precious Oba »

At first I couldn't get the hang of it but I think he second or third paragraph got me to the idea behind the book. It is a bit scary to think of the extremities human beings are capable of but it is a reality in our world now...
Stevenmusk
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 60
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stevenmusk.html
Latest Review: Under the Blue Moon by Joan Schweighardt

Post by Stevenmusk »

I strong believe that the plot is relative to real life events as elites still exist and the less privileged are still exploited. The book is interesting and captivating . Great review
Jelly_J
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jelly-j.html
Latest Review: Annihilation by Kaylin McFarren

Post by Jelly_J »

Wow... quite an interesting storyline. I wonder what else was mixed up in the weed she was given. I look forward to reading this book and discovering what is happening in Creed city. Your review was amazing.
just_joy
Currently Reading: The Story Of...
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-just-joy.html
Latest Review: Agatha the Beloved Queen by Fred Pilcher

Post by just_joy »

I like the fact that the book touches on issues affecting the modern society .Power for instance draws the line between the rich and the poor .I am looking forward to reading this book
Ellylion
Favorite Book: The Altitude Journals
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 136
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ellylion.html
Latest Review: The Islands Tell Of It by Patty Fischer

Post by Ellylion »

I always appreciate a book based on mythology, but some unanswered questions sound a bit discouraging. Nevertheless, a humorous writing style is very appealing. Thanks for this insightful review! :)
WriteOn
Currently Reading: Wild World
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-writeon.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by WriteOn »

The members of this elite group belong to a covert organization where they meet often to fortify their ties and the dark magic they use. They trod on the underprivileged and exploited them in order to ascend.
That's chilling stuff, the abuse of power creating extreme social divides. Your review really drew me into the story, it's very engaging and well detailed. Thank you Muna Chizzy.

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”