Review of Alpha Rising

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Soraya Bayah
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 147
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-thuriya-albayaa.html
Latest Review: The Lockdown Collection by Barry Jacob

Review of Alpha Rising

Post by Soraya Bayah »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Alpha Rising" by Jakcub Anthonnie Young.]
Book Cover
2 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Alpha Rising by Jakcub Anthonnie Young presents a unique perspective on the conventional tale of teenagers and werewolves. Jacqueline, a typical girl who just entered college, starts noticing that her senses are unrealistically sensitive. After she experiences headaches and weird food cravings that are not satisfied with typical food, she realizes she is turning into a werewolf. Hendrix, a boy her age, grabs her attention, but it's unclear what he wants from her. Will he turn out to be a trusted ally or a feared enemy? Jacqueline never knew her father; he dumped her when she was only five. Could he be connected to all that's currently happening to her?

The first third of the book was conventional. I felt the book's main selling point, which was "not your average werewolf fantasy," was a scam. I thought I ended up picking up a tedious book about an introverted werewolf teenager. Slowly, it became evident the author enjoyed introducing twists and turns that were occasionally unpredictable. He also did not leave out horrific details that fans of the genre will appreciate. Characters in this story were decent and believable, driven by feelings of betrayal and contempt, which drove the narrative forward. As the chapters alternated between Jacqueline and Hendrix, readers were given a glimpse into the characters' minds without giving away too much. It shows the narration was nicely done, with thoughts going onto a separate line for easier reading.

As for the negatives, there were some prominent ones. The transformation into a werewolf part was extremely tedious to read. For instance, it would mention that the subject begins to take off their clothing (so as to not tear them) and then stands on all four. The subject then closes their eyes and thinks about transforming into a werewolf. I am sure readers can see why this is not the best (or most action-filled) way to describe such a transformation.

Also, the ending was extremely abrupt and did not serve the book right. Some characters entirely disappeared and never made a return, not even towards the end of the book. The narration was sometimes lacking in terms of describing a scene. It seems the book requires a sequel that expands on the disappeared characters and other loose ends. The book also contains more than ten errors.

Considering everything, I rate this book two out of four stars. I deducted a star for the errors encountered and another for the negatives I noticed, as they affected my overall enjoyment of the book. The book contains non-borderline profanity but no sexual content. It is better suited for young adults who are into supernatural novels and animalistic powers. Others not interested in these genres will not find this book enjoyable. Those looking for a complex story that includes great character development will not find this book satisfying. Considering the book is only composed of 121 pages, it acts as a light read for fans of the fantasy genre. Finally, I encourage the author to review his book to eliminate its shortcomings in order to receive a more pleasing rating.

Alpha Rising
View: on Bookshelves
Shadreck Rogers
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shadreck-rogers.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Shadreck Rogers »

Well, werewolf stories are not my cup of tea and according to the review, it seems the book is an ordinary werewolf fantasy story.
Shelby Ayres
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 50
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shelby-ayres.html
Latest Review: The Wrong Side of the Room by Norman Mathews

Post by Shelby Ayres »

While the book does seem cliché, it does sound interesting. The lack of character development and the abrupt ending is certainly off-putting. It just seems like a run-of-the-mill werewolf novel.
Nwaka Chukwuemeka
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nwaka-chukwuemeka.html
Latest Review: A Dream For Peace by Dr. Ghoulem Berrah

Post by Nwaka Chukwuemeka »

This book looks horrible, I can't read it. I'm not a fan of horror books but your review is superb. I must commend you for it. Great review.
Phancy Agengo
Currently Reading: The Unfakeable Code®
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-phancy-agengo.html
Latest Review: Smart Love by Vincent Fudge II

Post by Phancy Agengo »

The book seems like a good read, how would you describe the most appropriate werewolf transformation ?
Jelly_J
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jelly-j.html
Latest Review: Annihilation by Kaylin McFarren

Post by Jelly_J »

I've always been a fan of paranormal stories; I enjoyed reading your review. I look forward to reading this book to uncover the mysteries surrounding Jacqueline's origin. Beautiful review.
Rayah Raouf
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rayah-raouf.html
Latest Review: The Heart of the World by Michael Tillotson

Post by Rayah Raouf »

I do have a soft spot for supernatural-themed books but gosh I think I would cringe every time they mention the transformation.
Your review is fantastic and I enjoyed reading it. I am 100% looking forward to your future reviews.
Memories are dangerous things. You turn them over and over, until you know every touch and corner, but still you'll find an edge to cut you.― Mark Lawrence, Prince of Thorns
NetMassimo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Flinx's Folly
Bookshelf Size: 419
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: Three Bullets by Charles Alexander
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 26%

Post by NetMassimo »

This novel might have potential but it's hindered by its flaws. A professional editor might help the author in properly developing the plot and characters and with proofreading. Thank you for your honest review!
Ciao :)
Massimo
Chris Walter Mason
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chris-walter-mason.html
Latest Review: Wild World by Peter S. Rush

Post by Chris Walter Mason »

This book I will recommend to teenagers. There are a lot of lessons in this book specifically for young people. Great review.

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”