Review of The Dream Experiment

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Mutai Marshal
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 518
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mutai-marshal.html
Latest Review: Supercharge Your Production with 5 Time Management Hacks by Lucy Ledet

Review of The Dream Experiment

Post by Mutai Marshal »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Dream Experiment" by C. L. Currie.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

What is reality? According to The Dream Experiment by C. L. Currie, reality can be perceived as objective or subjective. It can also be something totally different.

Tom and Justin spent most of their childhood together after Justin’s parents decided to move out of the neighborhood. After an algebra class, Tom asked Becky if she was interested in joining his group. She made it clear that Jennifer Eriksson had to be in the group for her to join. Jennifer also had conditions for her to be part of the group: invite Vic Kruger. With the addition of Derek and Amanda’s entry, The Prodigy Circle was instituted.

Tom possessed a rare gift of healing people. He had been warned by his mother to avoid displaying his knack for fear of being killed. He, however, thought otherwise. Why would anyone kill him for saving people? On the hand, Jennifer can control time. When Jennifer and Justin got married, and Tom married Becky, a series of events unfolded. Liam Erikson, Jennifer’s father, contrived to kill Tom. Amanda knew too much about Liam too. Her life was in danger? But why was he determined to kill them? Derek’s obsession with artificial intelligence led him to build a quantum computer. Can his program successfully predict the future?

In the novel, readers interact with a couple of characters, both with good and bad intentions. A father’s evil plans are envisaged through a flippant, arrogant man named Liam Erikson. His controlling and wicked tact aids him in facilitating his business. I was happy to witness some characters that didn’t cower and give in to his threats. Those that gave in had justified reasons too. This portrayed a society where the powerful controlled wealth and resources.

My favorite aspect of the novel was the depiction of true friendship. When Tom went missing, his childhood friend Justin went looking for him. Vic also felt responsible for Amanda and decided to check on her when she needed someone most. I also laud the author’s efforts in developing the concept of time travel. Through Derek, Currie describes how one can travel to the future through lucid dreaming. This enables one to make future discoveries that can be used to make the present better.

On the flip side, it was quite confusing to tell what happened in the dream experiment and what happened in the real world. It consequently slowed my reading. Fortunately, this didn’t happen a lot. The book’s editing was professional, as I noticed a few errors that didn’t affect the flow of the book.

Considering the book’s creativity, the portrayal of estranged families, and its thought-provoking capacity, I award this novel three out of four stars. I didn’t award The Dream Experiment by C. L. Currie a perfect rating due to the difficulty I experienced grasping the book’s plot. I hope that the sequel will address questions evoked by this novel. I recommend this book to lovers of fantasy and science-fiction novels.

The Dream Experiment
View: on Bookshelves
Amy Luman
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: 2084
Bookshelf Size: 1017
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amy-luman.html
Latest Review: Time Before Time by Dan DuBose
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Amy Luman »

If there is time travel, I’m there. AI is also a big draw for me. I realize the book is mostly about the relationships formed from the time the characters were children. It’s very unfortunate that lives were in danger due to “gifts”.
Mr Excellence
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mr-excellence.html
Latest Review: Four Critical Days by Edward Vogler

Post by Mr Excellence »

Wowwww.... The book cover and title is so catchy, and the plot splendid.
I will definitely read this book.
NGOCHO SAMUEL
Currently Reading: Apocalypse reckoning
Bookshelf Size: 14

Post by NGOCHO SAMUEL »

High level of technology and super hero novel and films move me and i must definitely add this book to my shelf
NetMassimo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: The Killing Machine
Bookshelf Size: 428
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: The Ripsons by Joe Morrow
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 40%

Post by NetMassimo »

Stories that question the nature of reality can be confusing and require attention. This novel also addresses some other important themes, which makes it interesting to me. Thank you for your great review!
Ciao :)
Massimo

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”