Review of Walden 3.0

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Erin Dydek
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Shadowborn
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 328
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-erin-dydek.html
Latest Review: Northern Umbrage by Dennis Lorenz Ph.D.

Review of Walden 3.0

Post by Erin Dydek »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Walden 3.0" by Arthur Sullivan & Mary Houghtaling.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Long-time friends and colleagues John McGann and James Massey have spent the better part of their lives working on robotics projects to improve the quality of human life. The current iteration of their robot therapist, RT9, has been successfully integrated into society as a source of efficient psychotherapy. Health insurance companies have begun to rely on the success of RT9 to provide cost-effective solutions for people who suffer from addictions, depression, and other mental health issues.

As RT9 continues to follow established protocols, its optimization process begins to evolve to tackle problems on a grander scale. But as the robot starts to gain self-awareness, other associates of McGann and Massey begin to question the decision to allow RT9 to manifest these changes unrestricted. Will McGann and Massey discover a solution that enables them to protect their families and associates from negative attention while still achieving the artificial intelligence they've spent their lifetimes pursuing? Read Walden 3.0 to find out!

If you're looking for an exciting read about clinical psychology, look no further! In this hard science fiction novel, Arthur Sullivan and Mary Houghtaling established an easy-to-follow plot that detailed the exploration of robotic development outside the parameters of Asimov's Three Laws of Robotics in this fascinating field. I loved the introduction of robot intelligence based on a single rule and a simple process. The law created by McGann and Massey protected humans with unconditional positive regard. This law and the supporting optimization process enabled RT9 to learn from its mistakes in providing therapy and improve its treatment methods while gaining self-awareness. I highly enjoyed following the robot's mutations and the characters' choices.

The authors introduced an enjoyable cast of strong females and brilliant doctors as they worked as a team to monitor the progress of RT9. I loved analyzing the different patient treatments with Dr. Leila Carlyle throughout the novel. With the help of Dr. Signy Hagbard, Leila often observed intriguing changes in RT9 that revealed the progress of the mutating robot. The authors also introduced the idea of a "third man" perspective in studying the robot's developments. This "third man" brought a non-science angle to each problem that arose, and I appreciated the artistic insight that supplemented the philosophic segments of the book.

I also appreciated the romance aspect of the novel. This facet of the plot included the unlikely interactions between drastically different characters and explored the deepest part of human emotions. The book was also well edited. There was nothing that I disliked. Therefore, I give Walden 3.0 four out of four stars.

I'd recommend this book to readers who enjoy science fiction novels that feature the principles of psychotherapy and research. It would also appeal to readers that enjoy the development of artificial intelligence and its consequences. There was very mild swearing and no erotic content. While this book could read as a standalone novel, I'd be interested to see further exploration of the ideas mentioned in the epilogue.

Walden 3.0
View: on Bookshelves
Paully_
Currently Reading: 30th Century: Escape (First Edition)
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-paully.html
Latest Review: Red Endures the Test of Time by Thomas Fullmer

Post by Paully_ »

I find it hard to keep up with most Science fictions. I enjoy reading your review. Thank you.
NetMassimo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Flinx's Folly
Bookshelf Size: 419
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: Three Bullets by Charles Alexander
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 26%

Post by NetMassimo »

This seems like an intriguing novel that offers some food for thought about artificial intelligence also including psychotherapy as an important element. Thank you for your great review!
Ciao :)
Massimo
Ferdinand_Otieno
Favorite Author: Victor Rose
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1749
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ferdinand-otieno.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker
fav_author_id: 78026

Post by Ferdinand_Otieno »

This is an interesting science fiction novel highlighting clinical psychology, enhanced robotics, robots gaining self-awareness, love, and therapy. The book is temporarily discounted on Amazon Kindle and has a well-written OnlineBookClub review. Congrats on the BOTD selection.
Aan Granados
Currently Reading: Massacre Rocks
Bookshelf Size: 873
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aan-granados.html
Latest Review: The Vanished by Pejay Bradley

Post by Aan Granados »

I am happy to know that there is a bit of romance in this science fiction about artificial intelligence. Sci-fi is not my favorite genre but sometimes I enjoy reading this too especially when there are great characters. Thank you for your review!
Stevenmusk
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 60
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stevenmusk.html
Latest Review: Under the Blue Moon by Joan Schweighardt

Post by Stevenmusk »

It is always the same downside with artificial intelligence, their ability to develop and evolve with each experience is a double edged sword but in every story the problems start when they gain awareness.
Naghma Qureshi
Currently Reading: The Whole-Brain Child
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-naghma-qureshi.html
Latest Review: Odonata The Flying Jewel of Maiden Grass Pond by Barbara Gervais Ciancimino

Post by Naghma Qureshi »

I am not so much into AI fiction but sampling a few pages and knowing that there are psychological technicalities and perspectives in therapy that are dealt with, I find some interest here. Your review shows that this novel has taken a great deal of intellect and knowledge, and there are intricacies of clinical cases discussed. It's amazing how clearly you have reviewed this novel that can be a bit difficult to comprehend for those who are not into sci-fi/ AI/ and clinical psychology too. I am sure it will be an intellectual meal for my brain. Thank you!
Hazel Mae Bagarinao
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 148
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hazel-mae-bagarinao.html
Latest Review: The Sound of Creation by Gabriella Zielke

Post by Hazel Mae Bagarinao »

As currently reading a sci-fi book now about artificial intelligence, I better understand how significant it is for comfort, but it has always pros and cons. This RT9 innovation of James and John looks realistic in the future generation, but how does this awareness interfere? I'd like to find out. Congratulations to the authors on BOTD!
"Less is more." ~ Ludwig Mies Van Der Rohe
John Kingsley Ken
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-john-kingsley-ken.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by John Kingsley Ken »

Nice review there, a sure scientific awareness gained from this intriguing book. Congrats on being BOTD
Leen282
Currently Reading: Live Your Life of Abundance
Bookshelf Size: 132
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-leen282.html
Latest Review: Beautifully Scarred by Cewanda Todd

Post by Leen282 »

I love the book cover, and was not expecting a story about robots and artificial intelligence. It will be interesting to read about the robot's mutations and the choices made throughout the story.
Stephen Christopher 1
Favorite Book: The Book Thief
Currently Reading: The Snow That Never Fell
Bookshelf Size: 133
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stephen-christopher-1.html
Latest Review: Brian, Created Intelligence by AJ Pagan IV
2024 Reading Goal: 25
2024 Goal Completion: 40%

Post by Stephen Christopher 1 »

Yes! This book is so topical right now, especially with AI impacting writing and writers. This is the dystopian future we all know is coming, I can't wait to get stuck into this book. Thanks for the great review.
Sushan Ekanayake
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading: My Wind Therapy
Bookshelf Size: 407
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sushan-ekanayake.html
Latest Review: My Wind Therapy: Motorcycling Through A History of Child Abuse And Domestic Violence by Queen Five Star
Reading Device: B0794JC2K5

Post by Sushan Ekanayake »

I think I would love the various aspects of the novel that made it an engaging and thought-provoking read, such as the exploration of artificial intelligence and its consequences, the introduction of a "third man" perspective, and the romance aspect of the plot. Congratulations on being BOTD.
Eriikeoluwa Nimi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-eriikeoluwa-nimi.html
Latest Review: The Three Heavens by Paul Hitchiner

Post by Eriikeoluwa Nimi »

I don't think I want to read this book because of the science fiction that it is. I enjoyed reading the review and I hope those who finds interest in clinical psychology and science fiction finds pleasure reading the book. Congratulations on BOTD
Nube24+
Favorite Author: Andrew Tweeddale
Currently Reading: Discovering Twins
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nube24.html
Latest Review: Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise by John K Danenbarger
fav_author_id: 247480

Post by Nube24+ »

This idea of improve human body with AI fiction has been found a good niche with people eith all technology evolving. Talking about a uncertainty future and how factors such companies and ourselves would react to it. Sound really good narrative and a excellent review
Hubre De Klerk
In It Together VIP
Favorite Author: Jennifer L. Armentrout
Currently Reading: Forged in Death
Bookshelf Size: 476
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hubre-de-klerk.html
Latest Review: Solaris Seethes (Solaris Saga book 1) by Janet McNulty
Reading Device: B075XP6ZZ4
fav_author_id: 3720

Post by Hubre De Klerk »

I definitely love reading about robotics and technology coming together. I understand the concept behind having a "self-evolving" robot to enable better care going forward, but I can also see the dangers about that if it can start making its own changes and decisions. I am looking forward to reading this book! Well done on an excellent review and for #BOTD!

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”