Review of Tales from the Wood

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Bertha Jackson
Bookshelves Moderator
Favorite Book: Launchpad Republic: America's Entrepreneurial Edge and Why It Matters
Currently Reading: The Newton Code
Bookshelf Size: 757
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bertha-jackson.html
Latest Review: Life at the Precipice by R.F. Vincent

Review of Tales from the Wood

Post by Bertha Jackson »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Tales from the Wood" by R.A. Johnson.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Tales from the Wood by R.A. Johnson is a fantasy novella based on Jethro Tull's music album, Songs from the Wood. After Cindy's grandfather dies, his lawyer tells her that for her to inherit his music library worth millions of dollars, she must listen to an album she has refused to listen to for years. By the end of the second verse, Cindy finds herself in a dark forest wearing strange clothing. Remembering what her grandfather always taught her about camping, she knew she had to find shelter, food, and water. She falls asleep within Auntie Hemlock’s branches. The next morning, Jack Green wakes her up and asks her what she has to return to, and she responds that she wants to find a home. Jack tells her that the path to her home is through her heart. Auntie Hemlock pushes her towards a wagon and the man of her dreams. Will Cindy find a home of her own?

I commend the author for the detail they have provided in describing the characters and demographics. The green man with hair of leaves and the meadows full of pink, yellow, white, and blue wildflowers were vivid. I could feel Auntie Hemlock wrapping her branches around me. I appreciate that the author put Cindy's thoughts in italics to keep them separate from the rest of the narrative. I enjoyed reading about the Beltane and Solstice celebrations. The author is correct that females are like lionesses and mama bears when it comes to protecting their loved ones. The author's advice is to read this book while listening to Jethro Tull's album, Songs from the Wood, on which the author has based this story. I intend to reread the book while doing so.

The only negative aspect I encountered in this book was that the PDF version does not show the illustrations at the beginning of each chapter. Otherwise, this well-written book was flawless and a joy to read. The book is only 124 pages and is a quick read that kept my interest throughout my reading.

There is no reason for me not to give this professionally edited book 4 out of 4 stars. The book is free of errors, and the plot flows smoothly throughout it. I did not distract a star because of the issue with the illustrations in the PDF copy because this could be a PDF issue and not an issue with the book itself. If a book sample had been available to confirm this was a PDF issue and not within the book itself, I would have stated the book was extremely well edited.

Fans of Jethro Tull's music and fantasy/science fiction books are the audiences I would recommend this book to. The book is more appropriate for mature readers because of the non-borderline profanity content.

Tales from the Wood
View: on Bookshelves
Bertha R. Jackson :D
Book Reviewer at OnlineBookClub.org
Amy Luman
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: 2084
Bookshelf Size: 1017
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amy-luman.html
Latest Review: Time Before Time by Dan DuBose
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Amy Luman »

I am not a fan of the music, but I do think that the story sounds interesting. The notion that home is in your heart is not a new one, but worth considering nonetheless.
Eze Michael
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-eze-michael.html
Latest Review: The Seventh Spark - Knights of the Trinity by J.B. Lion

Post by Eze Michael »

This one seems to be unique, and it involves music. Cindy is the main character, and the book revolves around her ordeals. I'd love to know if she survived, and I'd love to know how the story ended. Thanks for your honest review.
Mercy Sos Christopher
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mercy-sos-christopher.html
Latest Review: Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise by John K Danenbarger
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by Mercy Sos Christopher »

I too believe that the path to your home is through your heart. It's a saying that I totally agree with. I love poetic books and I am sure I will enjoy this one..And I must say, the review was well done
Brown_Sucre
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-brown-sucre.html
Latest Review: When Life Doesn't Turn Out The Way We Hoped It Would? Volume 2 by Tom Wick

Post by Brown_Sucre »

This book is out of my favorite genres. However, from your review the book sounds insightful. I enjoyed reading it.
NetMassimo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: The Killing Machine
Bookshelf Size: 428
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: The Ripsons by Joe Morrow
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 40%

Post by NetMassimo »

Sadly, I know very little of Jethro Tull's music in general but this seems like an engaging fantasy novella, so I might read it anyway. Thank you for your great review!
Ciao :)
Massimo

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”