Review of The Blackest Blue

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Jelly_J
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jelly-j.html
Latest Review: Annihilation by Kaylin McFarren

Review of The Blackest Blue

Post by Jelly_J »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Blackest Blue" by Luna Wright.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Often, our quest to discover the truth may be our bane. The Blackest Blue is a sci-fi/fantasy piece by Luna Wright. It is book one of the Remnant Cycle. It centers around a female character, Syretia, and her quest to uncover the truth and make sense of the mysteries surrounding her. Since Syretia(Sy) was a little girl, she had always been interested in serious matters. In her settlement, Tholus IV, the people worshiped a goddess, Rem, whom they believed provided all they needed. This goddess had never been seen or heard, but her will had been enforced by the priestesses and fledglings present in the tower. Anyone who was discovered to have doubts about Rem faced a painful death. 

After an encounter at eight, Sy begins to nurture these doubts in her mind, but she never voices them out. When she is selected as a fledgling priestess, she opts to use this position to get more answers to quench the fire of curiosity in her. However, her plans do not go as she had hoped. The high priestess notices and seeks to banish her. Rather than face banishment, Sy takes brutal action and uncovers things her mind cannot seem to comprehend. What is this action, and what are the repercussions? Is Rem a goddess? Do Han's theories hold any truth? Grab a copy of this beautiful book to find out. 

I've got to admit that the cover of this book drew me to it. I wondered what the orb the little girl was holding represented, as it looked mysterious. After reading this book, I can say that I'm glad I did; Sy's quest for the truth is no small feat. The book is divided into three sections: Tholus IV, the base, and flight. Each of these parts discusses very notable events, which you would have to read to find out. The book is told from a third-person narrative, focusing primarily on Sy and occasionally touching on other characters. The book has an unpredictable and complex plot; when you think you are getting the hang of it, another event dismisses your train of thought. I also admired the book's illustrations, especially the map of Tholus IV and the little ones depicting the subject themes in each chapter. 

The only thing I disliked about the book was that sometimes the narration seemed too much, which could come off as monotonous. I have to commend the author's imaginative capacity; thinking up a plot like this could not have been easy. The excerpts from Plato's Allegory of the Cave were also something I looked forward to in each chapter. 

Based on the positive aspects I've listed above, The Blackest Blue deserves no less than 4 out of 4 stars. I did not encounter any errors while reading; this only shows that the book was exceptionally well edited. I recommend this book to audiences interested in sci-fi, fantasy, and adventure. Readers who love complex plots can also pick this up.

The Blackest Blue
View: on Bookshelves
Nwaka Chukwuemeka
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nwaka-chukwuemeka.html
Latest Review: A Dream For Peace by Dr. Ghoulem Berrah

Post by Nwaka Chukwuemeka »

Most times in life we want to discover the unknown, this book details on that. Great review.
Patty Allread
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: The Problems of Work
Currently Reading: Bird by Bird
Bookshelf Size: 82
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-patty-allread.html
Latest Review: Hinduism by Dr Hiro G. Badlani

Post by Patty Allread »

I enjoyed your review very much! The book's storyline is intriguing, especially Sy dealing with the position of being a fledgling priestess when she has doubts about the beliefs in Rem.
Amy Luman
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: 2084
Bookshelf Size: 1015
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amy-luman.html
Latest Review: Zona II by Fred G. Baker
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Amy Luman »

The questions seem like a lot for such a little girl. I am glad that when she gets closer to adulthood she is given the opportunity to try to find the answers. It’s too bad that the ones in power seek to keep the knowledge from her.
Israel10
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-israel10.html
Latest Review: Creating Wellbeing and Building Resilience in the Veterinary Profession by Sonja A. Olson, DVM

Post by Israel10 »

This book seems to have a lot of positive aspects and I like that it had llustrations, especially the map of Tholus IV and the little ones depicting the subject themes in each chapter.
lawisimportant23
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lawisimportant23.html
Latest Review: Cynthia and Dan by Dorothy May Mercer

Post by lawisimportant23 »

It has been a long time since I read a science fiction novel. Thanks to your review, I might just read this one.
Radhika Nair
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-radhika-nair.html
Latest Review: Hunger of the Pine by Teal Swan

Post by Radhika Nair »

I absolutely adore sci-fi and fantasy, and this seems to be a mouth-watering read. The search for truth about one's world is a trope that never fails to get me hooked. Thank you for the review!
ikechukwuamarachi+55
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 323
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ikechukwuamarachi-55.html
Latest Review: The Girl Who Knew Da Vinci by Belle Ami

Post by ikechukwuamarachi+55 »

Syretia's quest to know more about her surroundings including Rem, the goddess at such a young age shows nothing but an act of bravery.
Christabel Egbeama
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 40
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-christabel-egbeama.html
Latest Review: Timewise by Robert Leet
Reading Device: B09KBSDRDG

Post by Christabel Egbeama »

The book cover and book title is quite intriguing to get the attention of readers. The storyline is also in sync with the book cover and title. Thanks for the amazing review.
Francis Omotayo Aderogbin
Currently Reading: The Great Migration
Bookshelf Size: 66
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-francis-omotayo-aderogbin.html
Latest Review: Escape from Tuoyawon by R. Murrey Haist

Post by Francis Omotayo Aderogbin »

The plot of this book is exciting to me. It is good to know the truth about one's existence, but what if knowing the truth will do more harm than good? I hope Sy found the truth she is after.
You are yet to be the best version of yourself. Keep refining.
Amuzu Mawuli
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Amuzu Mawuli »

The cover of the book is catchy in life sometimes you have to take certain actions to uncover the hidden mystery
Judy_Akha
Currently Reading: When No One Else Believed
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-judy-akha.html
Latest Review: The Dragon Who Would Be King by Anne Peters

Post by Judy_Akha »

I would love to read this book, storyline and characters seem interesting. Thanks for your review.
Francis Aderogbin
Favorite Book: Money Faucet
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 189
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-francis-aderogbin.html
Latest Review: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures by Catherine A. Pepe

Post by Francis Aderogbin »

Knowing the truth is good, but what if it will put us in danger? I wish Sy well in her quest to seek the truth.
Not available anymore
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 50
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-covenant-morolayo-olusegun.html
Latest Review: Stones by James C. Hendee

Post by Not available anymore »

I'm not a huge fan of sci-fi but this cover? It's really attractive and your review makes me more interested. Nice review
Ozioma Miriam
Currently Reading: The Love Charm
Bookshelf Size: 72
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ozioma-miriam.html
Latest Review: A Dream For Peace by Dr. Ghoulem Berrah

Post by Ozioma Miriam »

The title, the cover page, and your summary all indicate that this book must be intriguing. I would like to read those mysteries Syretia uncovered. Nice review.

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”