Review of Tales in Hindsight

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
The Holy Grail
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-the-holy-grail.html
Latest Review: Wild World by Peter S. Rush

Review of Tales in Hindsight

Post by The Holy Grail »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Tales in Hindsight" by KL Watkins.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

After journeying for miles through so many places, Ophelia's long hunt for the ancient beast, the dragon, seemed a long shot she couldn't hit. For so many years that time could not keep track of, the dragon had been peacefully asleep deep inside the forest, where no light nor sound could penetrate. The dragon was under some sort of curse, and the last thing it wanted was to be disturbed — until human intrusion began.

According to the legends Ophelia heard, the human penetration went too far, and the dragon, furious from being disturbed, broke off and went to look for a place that was free from the parasites called humans. In the process, many fell casualty to the beast's indignation. Ophelia finally located the dragon and cured it of its curse, returning it to its original glorious form. Staying with the dragon before any ship docked on the island she had found the dragon, she listened to the dragon's own ancient legends and tales. Read more about these tales in Tales in Hindsight by KL Watkins.

The most striking thing about this book is probably the setting which most tales are built around. Some of the stories are either about looking for or finding destiny. Beginning from Ophelia finally locating the dragon to Dutch finding Ara lonely in her ancient and mysterious house, it was amazing how the characters somehow achieved what they were after in one way or another. The tantalizing revelation of mysteries behind these tales and characters was also something I took note of. Also, dragons and "dragon scales" seemed to be of significant interest in most of the book, which is something that sparked interest in me. Not to mention the thrill of dragon hunting, the whole scenes around dragons gave the stories a Chinese-like fantasy touch that I enjoyed.

The book traverses multiple timelines — from ancient, medieval, modern, and almost post-apocalyptic — which was an amazing touch. I love how dynamic each tale feels and how different it felt traversing the different times in the stories. I particularly enjoyed the view of the post-apocalyptic world the author had created, where a mysterious "rust plague" had rendered all human machines and technology useless. I also loved the introduction with its ancient and progressively developing timeline. It was wonderful to see how time and seasons changed through the stories.

I can't think of any negative comments about this book. I also don't see any reasons to deduct any stars at all. Furthermore, I didn't find any errors. I, therefore, rate the book 4 out of 4. I recommend the book to readers who are into fantasy novels that have dragon stories.

Tales in Hindsight
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Amy Luman
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: 2084
Bookshelf Size: 1017
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amy-luman.html
Latest Review: Time Before Time by Dan DuBose
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Amy Luman »

The dragon had probably lived through all these things and expected to live through many more. I have always thought they had almost infinite lifespans. He was also probably incredibly grateful to Ophelia.
Micah_1
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-micah-1.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Micah_1 »

Your review is interesting, but then, this is not my kind of book, so I'll pass on this.
Adrian Rondon Salazar
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-adrian-rondon-salazar.html
Latest Review: Love and Marriage by Arthur Hartz

Post by Adrian Rondon Salazar »

I love stories about dragons. I'm sure I'll read it in a heartbeat if I get the chance. You transmit a lot of enthusiasm and I always enjoy your reviews. Congratulations.
Chiwendu Ikechukwu
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 71
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chiwendu-ikechukwu.html
Latest Review: E M P Honeymoon by Dorothy May Mercer

Post by Chiwendu Ikechukwu »

Intruiging review for a powerful book. I'm so in love with the storyline. Adding to my bookshelf ASAP
Madu Abigail
Currently Reading: The Unseelie Crown
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-madu-abigail.html
Latest Review: Bluewater Walkabout by Tina Dreffin

Post by Madu Abigail »

From my experience this book is going to be interesting. Nice review
NetMassimo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Exit Strategy
Bookshelf Size: 429
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: The Ripsons by Joe Morrow
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 41%

Post by NetMassimo »

This seems like a fascinating story that crosses space and time and includes dragons. Thank you for your great review!
Ciao :)
Massimo

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”