Review of Genie: The Beginning

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
evraealtana
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: The Signature of All Things
Bookshelf Size: 127
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-evraealtana.html
Latest Review: Never Teach A Pig to Sing. It is a waste of Time by Freida Atwood

Review of Genie: The Beginning

Post by evraealtana »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Genie: The Beginning" by J D Pender.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Twelve-year-old Princess Kacie is fascinated by magic. Her father, King Jared, commands two all-powerful creatures called Genies, and through the Genies’ extraordinary gifts, the king is able to maintain a thriving, prosperous kingdom that stands impervious to all outside threats. Access to magic is tightly controlled, and young Kacie is kept well away from it. But as she grows, Kacie shows the beginnings of having magical powers herself, a prospect that terrifies the king, who is still haunted by the shadowy magical circumstances that took Kacie’s mother from him.

Lord Balderon, a fearsome warrior who is intent upon seizing the magic of Jared’s Genies for his own glory, challenges the Genies on the field of battle, which ends disastrously for Balderon. Vowing revenge, he makes a bargain with the witch of the cursed forest to gain enough magic to outmatch the Genies and conquer Jared’s kingdom. The witch offers him all that he could desire and more, but in exchange, she commands Balderon to bring her two prizes: the emerald from Jared’s magic scepter and a valuable hostage, the young Princess Kacie.

Meanwhile, a village boy who is being bullied by his peers decides to prove his courage by venturing into the cursed forest, where evil spirits – and a certain witch – are rumored to dwell. His thirst for schoolyard recognition will place him directly onto the path of the magical power struggle that is soon to unfold.

Genie: The Beginning, written by J. D. Pender, is a young adult fantasy novel that explores the age-old battle between good and evil through the eyes of two young protagonists from opposite walks of life. It is the first book in its series.

The word “genie” typically conjures mental images of magic lamps and the granting of wishes; the capital-G “Genies” described in this book, however, are of an entirely different breed. In their hands is a vast sea of theoretically endless magical power that is bound by the Jinn Code, a set of rules that is still only partially fleshed out by the time the book ends. I loved the vivid displays of the Genies’ awe-inspiring power, which immerse the reader in the events in a way that more mundane battle scenes would struggle to achieve.

I was disappointed in the pacing of the book. The scenes with Genies battling humans and one another were detailed to the point of almost dragging on; meanwhile, scenes that contained important exposition felt rushed, and key concepts were hastily explained to the reader rather than organically demonstrated by the events of the book. The book contains 156 pages, but it could easily be expanded to 300 or 400 if the important world-building information was given as much attention as the fight scenes. As it stands, the pacing would be appropriate for a book aimed at children or preteens; however, the level of graphic violence and the inclusion of a questionable word make the book unsuited to young audiences.

Genie: The Beginning earns a score of 3 out of 4 for its imaginative magical world, plucky young protagonists, and intricate battle scenes. Sadly, there were many errors in grammar and formatting, necessitating the deduction of one star, particularly when considered alongside the aforementioned pacing issues. The book would most appeal to teenage fans of high fantasy and magic.

Genie: The Beginning
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Amy Luman
Currently Reading: 2084
Bookshelf Size: 1017
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amy-luman.html
Latest Review: Time Before Time by Dan DuBose
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Amy Luman »

Is there a sequel coming that would explain the rest of the Jinn Code? It is very interesting that the king is so frightened by Princess Kacie’s budding magical abilities. I suppose, though, that if his wife died from the same things it’s understandable.
Mr Excellence
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mr-excellence.html
Latest Review: Four Critical Days by Edward Vogler

Post by Mr Excellence »

I enjoyed reading this review. Very fascinating and interesting.
I wonder what will befall of Princess Kacie and King Jared.
Memory Khondowe
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Memory Khondowe »

It has an interesting beginning and very imaginative,on the other hand lord Balderon seems to be a big threat in the kingdom.i enjoyed reading this.
Pauls_
Currently Reading: A Dagger In The Heart
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-paul.html
Latest Review: Recognizing Beauty by Cyndi Burrough

Post by Pauls_ »

I love book with high fantasy and magic and I believe I would enjoy reading the book. Nice review.
Divina Cousin
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 6
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-divina-cousin.html
Latest Review: Terms of Service by Craig W. Stanfill

Post by Divina Cousin »

Something about this Lord Baldreron character taking revenge after losing a fight he began is quite amusing to me. Thank you for the great review!
Pauls_
Currently Reading: A Dagger In The Heart
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-paul.html
Latest Review: Recognizing Beauty by Cyndi Burrough

Post by Pauls_ »

Nicely written review. The storyline is interesting. I will definitely try it out.
Eze Michael
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-eze-michael.html
Latest Review: The Seventh Spark - Knights of the Trinity by J.B. Lion

Post by Eze Michael »

Magic is an Intriguing phenomenon, and I am a fan of magic. There are things that Kacie doesn't know, but her fervour for magic will uncover all of them. Thanks for your honest review.
Micah_1
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-micah-1.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Micah_1 »

I'm not a fan of fantasy and magical book, so I'll pass on this. But then, I must commend your review.
Agbata Precious 1
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-agbata-precious-1.html
Latest Review: Nightlord: Sunset by Garon Whited

Post by Agbata Precious 1 »

I'm a high fan of fantasy novels. I must say this book was interesting. I mean loved princess kacie role in thos book. Also I commend the review it really good
Agbata Precious 1
Currently Reading:

I'm a high fan of fantasy novels. I must say this book was interestin6g. I mean I loved princess kacie role in this book. Also I commend the review it really good
Agbata Precious 1
Currently Reading:

I'm a high fan of fantasy novels. I must say this book was interesting. I mean I loved princess Kacie's role in this book. Also, I commend the review it good
NetMassimo
Currently Reading: The Killing Machine
Bookshelf Size: 428
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: The Ripsons by Joe Morrow
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 40%

Post by NetMassimo »

Maybe I'm old for this kind of story but despite the flaws you pointed out this seems like an engaging fantasy novel in which there's a good use of some classic elements of this genre. Thank you for your great review!
Ciao :)
Massimo

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”