Review of The Dark Lords Stir

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Chinemezu Okafor
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 64
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chinemezu-okafor.html
Latest Review: Doctor in the World by Hiram Baddeley

Review of The Dark Lords Stir

Post by Chinemezu Okafor »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Dark Lords Stir" by S. M. Doll.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Dark Lords Stir: Evil Arising Cycle Book 1 by S. M. Doll is a book that narrates the intertwined destinies of a group of individuals who are meant to rally together to save their land from the forces of darkness that seek to destroy it. Daniel Manslayer was raised by a man named Nathan after the death of his parents. He grew up to become a hand for hire. Alssa J'ta was born a royal and one of the princesses of the Three Sisters Kingdom. These two people, despite having not met each other before, are meant to be the savior of the land. Will this unlikely partnership be enough to save the 12 kingdoms?

This book tells a story from different points of view, even going as far as exposing the thoughts of the various characters to the reader at different points in time. This is one of the positive aspects of the book. It grants the reader access into the hearts of the characters to read their dark inner thoughts.

Another positive aspect of the book is that it invites the reader to journey deep into the world of imagination. Set in a fictitious universe filled with mythical creatures, it enjoins the reader to develop a sharper sense of imagination to accept the various creations of the myths that exist there, for instance, trolls, orcs, and hadracs.

Another positive aspect of this book is the high use of suspense. From the beginning of the book, the history of Daniel was a mystery. No one, not even Daniel, knew who he was or what his true origins were. This knowledge, however, appeared to be possessed by a few people who did not let slip the truth.

One of the negative aspects of this book is that the suspense is used to the point where the reader is left grasping at straws. The history of Daniel remains unknown until the end of the book. It was only stated that he was the heir without actually giving details about his family lineage. This brings about a feeling of disappointment in a reader who had been looking forward to finding out one of the book's most tight-lipped secrets.

This book contains a relatively large number of errors, including a few punctuation errors as well, which makes reading it a strenuous exercise. These errors also lead one to believe that this book has not been professionally edited. This book contains a low number of profanities or vulgar words. However, the few which appear are used more than a few times.

I will rate this book three out of four stars. I would have rated this book higher but for the negative aspect mentioned above and also the high number of errors. I will recommend this book to all lovers of medieval science fiction stories.

The Dark Lords Stir
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Micah_1
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-micah-1.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Micah_1 »

This is not my kind of book, so I'll pass. But then, I won't fail to commend your review, it's a detailed one.
Amy Luman
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: 2084
Bookshelf Size: 1017
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amy-luman.html
Latest Review: Time Before Time by Dan DuBose
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Amy Luman »

I do really like science fiction, but I don’t enjoy anything medieval. I'm also not looking for a new series. Ill have to pass right now.
Israel10
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-israel10.html
Latest Review: Creating Wellbeing and Building Resilience in the Veterinary Profession by Sonja A. Olson, DVM

Post by Israel10 »

This book tells a story from different points of view, even going as far as exposing the thoughts of the various characters to the reader at different points in time. This is one of the positive aspects of the book.
Chiwendu Ikechukwu
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 71
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chiwendu-ikechukwu.html
Latest Review: E M P Honeymoon by Dorothy May Mercer

Post by Chiwendu Ikechukwu »

It is interesting to know that captivating reviews like this are gotten in this site. This book seems interesting. Adding it to my book shelf ASAP.
NetMassimo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Exit Strategy
Bookshelf Size: 429
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: The Ripsons by Joe Morrow
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 41%

Post by NetMassimo »

I have mixed feelings about this novel, as it makes good use of some classic fantasy elements but seems heavy-handed in some choices. I wonder if more answers, for example, about Daniel's history, will be given in the sequel(s). Thank you for your great review!
Ciao :)
Massimo
Michael Valentine
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 85
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-michael-valentine.html
Latest Review: Diotima by Bernard Kuckuck

Post by Michael Valentine »

I love that this book tells the story from different points of view. This would allow us to understand every one of the characters. I think this is a significant positive aspect of this book because not all authors tell a story from different points of view.
Chris Alex Powell
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 76
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chris-alex-powell.html
Latest Review: Ten Assholes and a Curmudgeon by Bruce Workman

Post by Chris Alex Powell »

It would be amazing to know if the partnership between two people who are not extremely familiar with each other will work out. I'll check this out. Thanks for the review.
José Cortez
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 124
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jos-cortez.html
Latest Review: Beyond the Golden Door (Audiobook Version) by Ali Master

Post by José Cortez »

Suspense is most certainly an attribute that keeps a reader glued to a book. Coupled with a good storyline, a reader is in for a ride. Thanks for the amazing review.
Chimomaebuka Ejimchi
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 43
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chimomaebuka-ejimchi.html
Latest Review: The Guardians of Earea by E.J. Denman

Post by Chimomaebuka Ejimchi »

I don't seem to fancy this book because of the errors in it. I would till check it out, though. It has an interesting storyline. Anyways thank you for your review.
ThankGod Onyishi
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 59
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-thankgod-onyishi.html
Latest Review: The Blood of My Mother by Roccie Hill

Post by ThankGod Onyishi »

I love fantasies. Therefore, I love the fact that this book will make my imagination rj wild. I look forward to reading the book as the author appears to have done an amazing job. Thank you for the review.

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”