Review of Sent to Watch

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Kulultu Sorale
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kulultu-sorale.html
Latest Review: A Dream For Peace by Dr. Ghoulem Berrah

Review of Sent to Watch

Post by Kulultu Sorale »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Sent to Watch" by David J. Lebenstein.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Sent to watch by David Lebenstein is a science fiction story about multi-planetary travel by emissaries from a confederation of multiple alien planets to collect intelligence on other civilizations' technological and cultural advancement. Set on the backdrop of the Battle of Waterloo in 1815, two agents fresh from the battle are summoned for routine. Under different aliases, agents from the interplanetary commission are sent to collect information on the progress of the different nation states that populate respective planets.

The story revolves around the experience of one agent, Svavapas, who is assigned to England under the alias of a teacher of mathematics at the Royal Military College after his heroics in the Battle of Waterloo. He works in tandem with another agent, Vlaytork, for whom he develops romantic feelings, but his love is unrequited due to her heart belonging to a different agent. However, they eventually become coupled up and have a child, which is contrary to the policy of the confederation. The confederation discovers a belligerent interstellar empire that has subjugated the planets around it and is actively expanding in the confederation's direction.

I enjoyed many aspects of the book, especially how the story was enshrined in factual historical contexts, such as the events surrounding Napoleon's defeat. Moreover, the author paints a picture of the political schism that existed between the Protestants and Catholics. This gave me information on the representation of the historical and cultural injustices that disenfranchised the Irish under the rule of English Protestants. Aside from the historical context, such as the Battle of Waterloo, the book gives some science fiction that, though not practical, is theoretically possible. For example, concepts such as determining the essence of forthcoming events through probabilistic simulations into the future are theoretically possible though not yet practical. Additionally, the creation of artificial gravity from centrifugal force formed some interesting science bits that littered the story.

There were not many negative aspects about the book; however, I found it too fast-paced as the author did not let the flow be smooth and natural. Moreover, there were occasional extra line spaces that did not contain anything. However, aside from that, I enjoyed the story as it was original and well thought out.

I enjoyed the book and accorded it a rating of 3 out of 4 stars. The concepts were original and very interesting to follow. In addition, the book is professionally edited with few errors.

I recommend this to lovers of sci-fi and historical narratives. The book provides a unique perspective of some historical contexts, such as the Battle of Waterloo and the issues that dogged the royal family of England at that particular time.

Sent to Watch
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Patty Allread
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: The Problems of Work
Currently Reading: Bird by Bird
Bookshelf Size: 82
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-patty-allread.html
Latest Review: Hinduism by Dr Hiro G. Badlani

Post by Patty Allread »

Thanks for your review. I love the concept that aliens have been among us throughout history. There are so many fascinating periods one could write about and fit aliens into the story!
Kieran Anslow
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kieran-anslow.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Kieran Anslow »

I've alwuas loved multiverse travel and timeline travel. This work of sci-fi is amazing, and I'd love to read it. I'd love to know more about the agents' working standard. Thanks for your honest review.
Mr Excellence
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mr-excellence.html
Latest Review: Four Critical Days by Edward Vogler

Post by Mr Excellence »

The quest for knowledge made me love sci-fi, and I must say, this book is great.
Israel10
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-israel10.html
Latest Review: Creating Wellbeing and Building Resilience in the Veterinary Profession by Sonja A. Olson, DVM

Post by Israel10 »

There were not many negative aspects about the book; however, I found it too fast-paced as the author did not let the flow be smooth and natural. This doesn't seem like a very great issue. Great review.
Chiwendu Ikechukwu
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 71
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chiwendu-ikechukwu.html
Latest Review: E M P Honeymoon by Dorothy May Mercer

Post by Chiwendu Ikechukwu »

It is interesting to know that captivating reviews like this are gotten in this site. This book seems interesting. Adding it to my book shelf ASAP.
Shadreck Rogers
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shadreck-rogers.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Shadreck Rogers »

I like that the inter-planetary nature of the storyline. Great book
NetMassimo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Star Maker
Bookshelf Size: 426
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: The Ripsons by Joe Morrow
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 36%

Post by NetMassimo »

Despite the flaws you pointed out, this seems like an interesting novel that mixes history and science fiction set in 19th-century Earth. Thank you for your great review!
Ciao :)
Massimo
Patel Khushi Manishbhai
In It Together VIP
Favorite Author: Markus Zusak
Favorite Book: The Book Thief
Currently Reading: To the Lighthouse
Bookshelf Size: 189
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-patel-khushi-manishbhai.html
Latest Review: Send Her Back and Other Stories by Munashe Kaseke
fav_author_id: 2540

Post by Patel Khushi Manishbhai »

A man sees in the world what he carries in the heart.
-Goethe :techie-studyingbrown:
Ni_weh_sesh62
Anaïs Quesson
Favorite Book: The Song of Achilles
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 174
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ana-s-quesson.html
Latest Review: Chrome Mountain by Ben Schneider

Post by Anaïs Quesson »

Thank you for this great review, Kulultu. I am about halfway through this book; I hope my review will be as insightful as yours!
I agree with everything you stated. This book is very unique. I find it quite fascinating. You reproach its pace to be too fast, but I think it is the perfect rhythm to follow the development of the intrigue without it being too lengthy and boring.
Anaïs - she/her

"No nightingales. You idiot. We could have been... us."
Kyle Sutheran
Favorite Author: Elizabeth Moore Kraus
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 186
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kyle-sutheran.html
Latest Review: From Flames to Valor by Jose L Berrios
fav_author_id: 258142
2024 Reading Goal: 40
2024 Goal Completion: 270%

Post by Kyle Sutheran »

Thank you for your review. I like how you have noted that this book is about time travel and this intrigues me. The positive and negative traits that you talk about make me want to read this book for myself.
K. Sutheran :techie-studyingbrown:
Kyle Sutheran
Favorite Author: Elizabeth Moore Kraus
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 186
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kyle-sutheran.html
Latest Review: From Flames to Valor by Jose L Berrios
fav_author_id: 258142
2024 Reading Goal: 40
2024 Goal Completion: 270%

Post by Kyle Sutheran »

This is a great review! it is clear and shows the brief overview of the book's plot. I like both the positive and negative aspects you have outlined in this book. I cannot wait to read this book for myself. Thank you.
K. Sutheran :techie-studyingbrown:

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”