Review of The New Age: The Caribbean Witch

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Favour Amarachi Mgbeoji
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 66
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-favour-amarachi-mgbeoji.html
Latest Review: Operation November Blizzard by Stephen Snow (penname)

Review of The New Age: The Caribbean Witch

Post by Favour Amarachi Mgbeoji »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The New Age: The Caribbean Witch" by Vox Deruste.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The New Age: The Caribbean Witch by Vox Deruste is a paranormal story based on the mythology of Greek gods and goddesses, demigods and magicians. It is a story of magic, love, anger, pain and betrayal. This book has 29 chapters and tells the story of a demigod finding her way through countless obstacles to her real self.

Rio, at first glance, is a typical teenager, complete with teenage angst until she isn't. Bundled away on her annual summer vacation to her cousin's place in Puerto Rico, Rio resigns herself to a few weeks of boredom and annoyance. However, in a startling turn of events, she discovers that everything she has always known about her family might have been a lie. Having to travel to new worlds and being introduced to strange people and stranger things, she struggles to find herself and her place. On the heels of her discovery, she realises that the concept of 'apocalypse' is real. Being hastened by a certain group of beings, she must do all she can to end the destruction of the world and all humans.

I really liked how the chapters were written from the perspectives of the main characters. It helped develop the characters properly for the reader. I also liked how inclusive the author made the characters of the book. There were major characters from various races and tribes, including Black, White, Hindu, and others. There were characters with diverse sexual orientations and queer characters also. Basically, there is a character that every reader could relate to. I also liked its inclusion of gods from different mythologies. The Greek gods, the Hindu demigod and even the God of Abraham were mentioned.

I did dislike a few things about this book, though. Firstly, there were a few confusing details about the book. For instance, I did not understand the animosity that Selena and her family displayed towards Dali and Hakim even after Dali was accepted to be Rio's mentor. Also, in the first chapter, the name Allison was used a few times, and I could not understand its use. Again, this book was very poorly edited, if at all. There were countless grammatical errors, wrong spellings and even whole sentences that made zero sense. This made reading the book confusing at some points and even frustrating.

I would give this book a rating of 3 out of 4 stars. Even though the book dragged at some points because of its negative aspects, I still found it a nice enough story to read.

I would recommend this book to fans of mythology and to fans of paranormal fiction as well.

The New Age: The Caribbean Witch
View: on Bookshelves
Amy Luman
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: 2084
Bookshelf Size: 1015
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amy-luman.html
Latest Review: Zona II by Fred G. Baker
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Amy Luman »

I lke stories with such well developed characters and from what I read here, it is clear that the author tried very hard to be inclusive. I believe that all of the errors will make this hard to read, butI’m going to try.
ThankGod Onyishi
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 59
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-thankgod-onyishi.html
Latest Review: The Blood of My Mother by Roccie Hill

Post by ThankGod Onyishi »

I would enjoy reading the book from the angle of different characters. This would help to ensure that I have knowledge of every character's thoughts on events.
NetMassimo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Star Maker
Bookshelf Size: 426
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: The Ripsons by Joe Morrow
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 36%

Post by NetMassimo »

This seems like an engaging novel built upon different mythologies to tell the story of a demigod. Thank you for your great review!
Ciao :)
Massimo
Kendal Low
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: As Good As Dead
Bookshelf Size: 184
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kendal-low.html
Latest Review: Ten Percent by D.L. Bruin

Post by Kendal Low »

I am very fascinated by different mythologies and I'd love to see how they have been described in this book. Although the amount of errors is slightly off-putting, I think I'd still like to give this book a try.

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”