Review of Misunderstood: Healing Jason Sutter

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Sam Ibeh
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 459
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sam-ibeh.html
Latest Review: The vampires: Sodom and Gomorrah by Levănt DuPrae

Review of Misunderstood: Healing Jason Sutter

Post by Sam Ibeh »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Misunderstood: Healing Jason Sutter" by Jay Sherfey.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Misunderstood: Healing Jason Sutter by Jay Sherfey gave me that feeling I craved in a superhero book once I was done. The book title could be misleading because I initially thought it was one of those psychological books.

Set in 1962, 13-year-old Jason Sutter was in a foster home filled with other kids and did not know his parents. Labeled as a "troubled" child, his foster parents, Frank and Lydia, used him for their illegal monetary gain. Things started shaking up when Jason attended school. His first discovery of having psychic powers would lead to new developments. With his trusted new pal, Russ, and cryptic foster sister, Suzy, they tried to find the magnitude of his powers.

Meanwhile, Jason was not the only one, and an unknown threat loomed ahead. What other powers would he unlock? Would he be ready to deal with the consequences of his choices?

Character development was the aspect of this book that I fell in love with the most. Jason didn't feel like a 13-year-old to me initially. His traumatic experiences grew him up, and his maturity and growth expedited with a discovery of his abilities. I liked how he wasn't overpowered from the start; it felt like I was on a journey with him. Even the discovery of his powers did little to change his innate personality. At least he still listened to the weaker people around him, and his moral compass was always in check.

The side characters were well thought-out; they helped enhance the main character's spotlight. Jason wasn't the only one in the spotlight. Other characters felt alive in their appearance and gave the narrative a humane feel. The dialogue wasn't bland. The author's word usage was appropriate and helped portray the mannerism of different characters. Russ, the cliché sidekick to our main character, was a good source of humor.

The villains seemed ruthless, including the ones without power — like Jason's foster mom, Lydia. She was a money-hungry tyrant and got my instant dislike. It would be an injustice to us as readers if we didn't get a sequel as soon as possible. The cliffhanger at the end piqued my curiosity. The whole book felt like a prequel to something greater.

Misunderstood: Healing Jason Sutter was an enjoyable read; it checked most of the boxes in my good-book checklist. However, the editing was not as good as the narrative. I found many errors that a professional editor would have fixed. Therefore, I'd rate it 3 out 4 stars. I would recommend it to lovers of fantasy books with a young main character.

Misunderstood: Healing Jason Sutter
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Vivian Writes
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 43
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vivian-writes.html
Latest Review: Niching Up by Chris Dreyer

Post by Vivian Writes »

Jason was going through abuse. But his powers would have unlocked a whole new aspect of life for him. It would be marvelous to read how he copes with it all and finding he’s not the only one with powers. Unfortunately, the book’s poor editing detract from the overall quality of the book.
Chere Rasenyalo
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Chere Rasenyalo »

Great fragile read. Jason being so unselfish, shed so much light on most characters too of which is something most writers do no do. I'd recommend it to light fantasy book lovers. Rating at a 4 out of 4
NetMassimo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Exit Strategy
Bookshelf Size: 429
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: The Ripsons by Joe Morrow
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 41%

Post by NetMassimo »

I might be old for this kind of story but this novel seems engaging, so I hope the author does proper proofreading to prevent distractions for readers. Thank you for your great review!
Ciao :)
Massimo

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”