Review of Solar Ashes

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Verna Coy
Currently Reading: The Magician's Secret
Bookshelf Size: 194
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-verna-coy.html
Latest Review: The Fate of AI Society by Kenneth Hamer-Hodges

Review of Solar Ashes

Post by Verna Coy »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Solar Ashes" by Jason Bradford.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Solar Ashes by Jason Bradford is the first book in the Solar Ashes series. This science-fiction and fantasy series is projected to include five books. This one begins the adventures of Conor Hawk. From the mysteries of the Milky Way Galaxy to distant and undiscovered planets, this book promises entertainment and discovery.

This futuristic tale takes readers on an adventure into space. In the year 2098, the sun that kept their home world alive inexplicably went out, throwing the planet into a survival situation. Norman and Melina launched their ship from the space station due to the consequent overcrowding. They took their children, as well as a puppy, into this unknown venture. Now this family of deep-space explorers embarks on a journey to find a new home. Will they find what they're seeking? You'll have to read this book to find out!

This book's cover will surely draw the attention of discerning science-fiction fans. The cover design's bright colors, typography, and space-adventure style are perfect for this genre, and the action scene depicting the main character battling an unknown creature from space suits this story.

The world-building concept of this story is one of its best points. I loved taking adventures with twelve-year-old Conor and his dog, Titan. The surroundings of each scene keep readers engaged and invested in the plot. Invisible walls, a city that floats above the jungles below, and other wonders paint just the right picture. The settings add the necessary background to this fantasy.

The character development in this book is well done. The book is written from an omniscient point of view, and I enjoyed hearing each character's thoughts. I especially liked the perspective of Supreme Commander Makon. Leadership plays a vital role in any plotline, and the characters of this story do not disappoint.

The unexpected events, such as enemy attacks, kept the book's pace moving well. It never bogged down, and I enjoyed the ever-changing scenes. Although I could see some similarities to several well-known science-fiction stories, the similarities were minor. The unique characters and original story plotting kept it from seeming too closely patterned to any particular tale. I appreciated the book's freshness in that regard.

What I liked best about the book was the focus on teamwork. As Conor and Teira train with other cadets, the concepts of teamwork seem to fall together easily. I liked how the characters interacted and supported each other throughout the story. The bond between Conor and his dog, Titan, is a special part of this story, and I know that dog lovers will enjoy that depth of affection in the main character.

I can't find anything too negative to mention about this book. It has some violent scenes, battles that feature blood and gore, and frightening instances involving creatures with incredible strength. That said, I believe these elements are delivered well within acceptable levels according to the book's storyline and description.

This volume is exceptionally well edited and free of errors. For these reasons, this book has achieved a well-deserved 4 out of 4 stars. It will appeal most to fans of space invader stories and adventures. I recommend it to readers who enjoy a fast-paced story.

Solar Ashes
View: on Bookshelves
Vivian Writes
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 43
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vivian-writes.html
Latest Review: Niching Up by Chris Dreyer

Post by Vivian Writes »

This is the perfect science fiction for lovers of the genre. Norman and Melina’s adventures have only begun, as this is the first book of the series. So it is the perfect book to start with.
Kavita Shah
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Spellbound - The Workings of Drugtech
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 188
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kavita-shah.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Kavita Shah »

Thank you for the wonderful review! A survival in the future story and plenty of characters, sounds great.
Fun Fact: The first animal in space was a dog named 'Taika'.
Sarah tianna
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 62
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sarah-tianna.html
Latest Review: Reverse Chronic Kidney Disease by Yaw A. Boateng

Post by Sarah tianna »

Based on the rating, it is evident that the book is interesting and amazing. Another amazing feature is that this review is well-detailed. Captivating review.
NetMassimo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Exit Strategy
Bookshelf Size: 429
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: The Ripsons by Joe Morrow
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 41%

Post by NetMassimo »

Some classic science fiction tropes are used in this novel and well developed in an adventure in space. I'll look into this series. Thank you for your great review!
Ciao :)
Massimo

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”