Review of Merlin's Rings: Book One: Young Crusaders

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Nwaka Chukwuemeka
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nwaka-chukwuemeka.html
Latest Review: A Dream For Peace by Dr. Ghoulem Berrah

Review of Merlin's Rings: Book One: Young Crusaders

Post by Nwaka Chukwuemeka »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Merlin's Rings: Book One: Young Crusaders" by Virginia Hoyt.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Merlin's Rings: Book One: Young Crusaders is a thriller novel by Virginia Hoyt. The stories of King Arthur, the twenty-four knights, Merlin, the king's sorcerer, the ring-bearers, and the dark powers are told in the book. The Holy Grail, the Hand of Allah, and the Eye of Buddha—representing Christianity, Islam, and Buddhism—were stolen during the reign of King Arthur by the dark powers, who also overpowered the gatekeeper. On their quest to retrieve the three relics, Merlin crafted twenty-four enchanted rings for the knights to wear. The dark powers captured and imprisoned Merlin in the process. A couple of these knights' descendants came of age and were chosen by the gods to continue the journey with the magic rings. Did they get the relics back? Were they able to destroy the dark forces and save Merlin from prison? To learn more, obtain a copy.

Reading about how Prof. Dunmoore and the teenagers battled the evil forces had me completely absorbed. They all contributed unique abilities and skills, enhancing the rings' potency. I became enthralled when I learned that Prof. Dunmoore was not one of the ring-bearers but was eager to take part in the battle to save the world from impending doom. These terrible powers brutally attacked them, yet they never gave up. Any reader will find it tough to put the book down because of its suspense. I liked how the writer gave every one of the characters in the novel their unique voice. My interest in the novel was also piqued by the kids' bravery and tenacity. I anticipated that some of them would give up when Merlin warned them about the perilous nature of the quest they were about to undertake, but instead, they were zealous to go above and beyond what was required. I relished the book from beginning to end.

My favorite is Prof. Dunmoore, who was more aware of the danger than the children were and was still prepared to join them despite the risk of not possessing the ring. He was the sole person who was familiar with the language that activates the ring. He mentored those kids and even stood up for them when necessary. One of the teenagers I adored the most was Lucas. The other teenagers were strengthened by his bravery and devotion. The author has expertly woven suspense and adventure together. As these crusaders reached the realm of the dark powers, I wanted to yell. I must admit that many of the happenings in the book held my interest, and I never regretted picking up the book.

This book has nothing to dislike. The book was written in a straightforward and understandable manner. As I read about how these kids attempted to take one of the relics, the Holy Grail, from the cathedral and were attacked by an evil dragon, I was on the edge of my seat. I have to admit that the author has top-notch creative ability. The editor deserves praise for not finding any errors in the book. I will say that the book is exceptionally well edited.

I rate the book four out of four stars since it has provided me with several insights and lessons, one of which is the capacity to stand firm and courageous when faced with life's challenges. This book is recommended for anyone who enjoys magic, thrillers, suspense, and fast-paced stories.

Merlin's Rings: Book One: Young Crusaders
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Chris Walter Mason
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chris-walter-mason.html
Latest Review: Wild World by Peter S. Rush

Post by Chris Walter Mason »

I so much love this book. The kids that volunteer themselves to go for the deadly journey need to be appreciated. What a wonderful review.
Adeolaoskydeelight
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-adeolaoskydeelight.html
Latest Review: Terms of Service by Craig W. Stanfill

Post by Adeolaoskydeelight »

I like how the review captured everything about this book. The details about the characters shows how well the author developed each characters. I'm adding it to my TRB as I like everything about the book plot. Great review
Reader_noc
Currently Reading: Reconfigurement
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-reader-noc.html
Latest Review: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures by Catherine A. Pepe

Post by Reader_noc »

I love how personal you made the positive aspects. It would be so inspiring reading about kids who are so courageous even in the face of danger. Would definitely read this book. Thank you!
Okonobe Chioma Chukwuma
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-okonobe-chioma-chukwuma.html
Latest Review: Devil Among Us by Jack Winnick

Post by Okonobe Chioma Chukwuma »

This book sounds captivating and appealing. Lucas has given me a lot of insight into how to be courageous and determined in anything I do. Great review
Mercy Udeokeke
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 66
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mercy-udeokeke.html
Latest Review: Mothers Vol. 1 by Ben Burgess Jr.

Post by Mercy Udeokeke »

This book reminds me of a movie titled Merlin. The plot seems to be well structured. I love books about magic. I will add this to my shelve. Thanks for the captivating review.
Judy_Akha
Currently Reading: When No One Else Believed
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-judy-akha.html
Latest Review: The Dragon Who Would Be King by Anne Peters

Post by Judy_Akha »

The magic and thriller sounds really intriguing, but it's interesting to see how well-written the overall storyline is and what the character arcs are like.Amazing review!
Dauria04
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Daisy Jones and the Six
Currently Reading: The Mark of Athena
Bookshelf Size: 194
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dauria04.html
Latest Review: Musings of an Autistic Mind by Darryl Jefferson
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by Dauria04 »

I love fantasy books where we have a group of people and each of them has a unique personality, this book seems to be like that. Thank you for your review
"I had no interest in being somebody else's muse.
I am not a muse.
I am the somebody."

-Daisy Jones & The Six, Taylor Jenkins Reid.
Chiamaka Ogadimma
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chiamaka-ogadimma.html
Latest Review: JTs World by E. Alan Fleischauer

Post by Chiamaka Ogadimma »

This sounds like the movie Merlin , with what I have read from your review, it's going to be an interesting book to read. Great review
Do more, talk less. Never get mad at another man's success.
maycherono91
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-maycherono91.html
Latest Review: Terms of Service by Craig W. Stanfill

Post by maycherono91 »

The book sounds like Merlin meets Lord of the rings - a must read. Great review.
Amy Luman
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: 2084
Bookshelf Size: 1017
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amy-luman.html
Latest Review: Time Before Time by Dan DuBose
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Amy Luman »

I’m not a big fan of rye story of King Arthur and his knights, butt this continuation of the story sounds very interesting. I am especially intrigued by their willingness to face danger even though it was not originally their quest.
Hannah Mae Fabro
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 54
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hannah-mae-fabro.html
Latest Review: Niching Up by Chris Dreyer

Post by Hannah Mae Fabro »

Even though I'm not a fan of fantasy, I think this book is still recommended for others because of the rating you gave to this book. Thank you for your wonderfully written review.
Chiwelite Obioma Mgbeoji
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 77
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chiwelite-obioma-mgbeoji.html
Latest Review: Choices by Ogonna Juliet Nnamani

Post by Chiwelite Obioma Mgbeoji »

I feel this book is related to Merlin, and I love the movie. Your review captured a lot of things about the book. It is very thorough and I loved it. I will certainly read this book.
DyanaFl
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 70
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dyanafl.html
Latest Review: Like Glass by Sylvia Wilde

Post by DyanaFl »

I love books like this and your review makes the book seem very appealing. I would love to read how the professor helped these brave kids. Thanks for the beautiful review!
Amina Grobbelaar
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Devil amongst us
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amina-grobbelaar.html
Latest Review: Cynthia and Dan by Dorothy May Mercer
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by Amina Grobbelaar »

I must be the biggest fan of books like Lord of the Rings, The Hobbit, Harry Potter and so forth. So when I read this review I knew I just have to add this to my TBR list. :techie-reference: Well written review. :D

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”