Review of The Head of the serpent

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Sanju Lali
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: Goodbye, Rudy Kazoody
Bookshelf Size: 445
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sanju-lali.html
Latest Review: The Unfakeable Code® by Tony Jeton Selimi
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Review of The Head of the serpent

Post by Sanju Lali »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Head of the serpent" by W.C. Gorski.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Imagine that you had to pass through an unclean countryside lake and suppose that you find a beautiful lotus flower blossoming in the lake. Would it not be delightful to you? It will be perfectly divine if you learn that the lotus can cast a spell of protection and affection over everyone in its vicinity. Here, I am introducing you to the queen of the Zarconian Island chain, Valentina Czarkow, who never failed to care for everyone in her kingdom and beyond due to the virtue of her dedication to her duty, diligence, and bravery. We can find the themes like politics, espionage, evil forces, war, romance, and technical advancement prevailing in her surroundings. You may be delighted to know this queen and many more exciting things by reading the book The Head of the serpent by W.C.Gorski. The author is a Russian American. The author has beautifully infused bits of Russian and Chinese literature in this science-fiction fantasy novel. One can also enjoy this third installment in the series by reading it stand-alone. This book features King Hagar of Briar’s keep, wizards, spies, and commanders who accompany the queen in tackling the evil forces and false gods.

In an evil plot, the Westshire city mayor is murdered, and the evil takes control over the body of the mayor's son, Desmon. Desmon takes control over a secret hidden bullion vault and plans to cripple the citizens economically with the collaboration of Fiscal Finance Corporation, an unholy organization. Queen Czarkow deploys her spies to unfold the evil plot. Will the queen be successful in foiling the evil plot? The Briar’s keep province unites with the other sisterly kingdoms like Zarconia and Elfin, forming an Allied group. Gog, the ancient king of Magog, aligns with evil and ties up with like-minded people like the Muzz and the Muzoules to form an axis group. A Chinese monastery, a key organization in the story, gives refuge to the escapees from the Muzz. Will the allied forces and the axis forces ever go to war? Queen Czarkow and King Hagar come closer, and their romance develops. Could King Hagar be able to propose to Queen Czarkow? Queen Leahanna has a divine sword on which Gog wants to get hold for executing his evil plans.

The thing I liked the most in this book is the idea of the author conceptualizing modern war strategies with self-propelled low-cost solid-fueled missiles, which have an advantage over the catapult version. On the path leading to the secret bullion vault, the mechanics of the gears and ratchets mechanism that operates according to the logic of the puzzle card satisfied me. I was carried away by the attempt of an extraordinary inventor of Elfin to create green energy by a nuclear fusion reactor, which starts by the power of lightning. I also liked the concept of the invisibility gadget. There was nothing in this book for me to dislike.

Young adults and older readers who love fantasy novels filled with elements of mechanics, physics, or biological warfare will love this book. People interested in war games with different kinds of war strategies would find the diagrams in this book interesting to read. Readers looking for elements of surprise in romantic stories would love this book. I do not recommend this book to sensitive people who find the graphic scenes of blood shedding and body organs.

There are two reasons for me to pick this book. Firstly, I enjoyed the previous installment. Secondly, I expected more entertainment from this installment after reading the title. I am happy because I enjoyed reading this book as I got lost for a while in the story. At first thought, I decided to give this book all four stars. Only due to the number of grammatical errors being more than ten, I had to hold back one star. This book needs one more round of professional editing. I am glad to rate this book with 3 out of 4 stars and recommend it to others.

The Head of the serpent
View: on Bookshelves
Last edited by tortle0o0 on 03 Oct 2022, 17:28, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: This book has undergone another round of editing and the errors noted have been corrected.
life is only knowing the unknown, we can do this by reading books easily- Online book club is a great place for this. This is what I believe.
SunVixen
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 110
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sunvixen.html
Latest Review: Tau Ceti: A Ship from Earth by George T. Hahn

Post by SunVixen »

Are there real nations (for example, Chinese and Russians) and fictional countries in one book at the same time?
This book seems like a fantasy novel with elements of Chinese and Russian traditional literature.
Anyway, thanks for the interesting review.
Dayna Frank
Favorite Book: Zona: The Forbidden Land
Currently Reading: The Different Kinds Of Monsters
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dayna-frank.html
Latest Review: East Wind, 2nd edition by Jack Winnick
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Dayna Frank »

The cover for this book is incredible! I enjoyed reading your opinion on this book as well. Job well-done.
Wren Michaels
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wren-michaels.html
Latest Review: Terms of Service by Craig W. Stanfill

Post by Wren Michaels »

This book cover is great. Great detailed review :)
NetMassimo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Star Maker
Bookshelf Size: 426
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: The Ripsons by Joe Morrow
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 36%

Post by NetMassimo »

It seems like winter is coming in this semi-fictional world with some brutal war descriptions. I don't mind graphic description is they are part of a good storyline. Thank you for your great review!
Ciao :)
Massimo
R_becca
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by R_becca »

Sincerely, I've never been more intrigued by a book than I am now after reading this review. This is the kind of book I like, so I'll keep an eye out for it.
Ben Madeley
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ben-madeley.html
Latest Review: Cynthia and Dan by Dorothy May Mercer

Post by Ben Madeley »

I always feel a little let down when the novel doesn't quite seem to live up to the title. This book sounds interesting nevertheless. Nice review.

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”