Review of Deeptide . .. Vents of Fire

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Nwoko E
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nwoko-e.html
Latest Review: Cynthia and Dan by Dorothy May Mercer

Review of Deeptide . .. Vents of Fire

Post by Nwoko E »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Deeptide . .. Vents of Fire" by Donald Ray Schwartz and Steven Evans.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

A scientist with three doctorates, Susan Arthknott, and her colleague, Jennifer Littleton, a CAD expert, and scientist, have found a crack in the deepest section of the ocean that is breeding new species and supporting life in Clearwater Beach at Sheraton Sand Key Resort, Florida. The fissure aperture, however, will only be open for a limited time. Therefore, their endeavor was only expected to last one to two years. To collect the organisms' DNA samples, the two researchers require a vehicle that can survive the heat that is released from the crack. Littleton has designed an automobile they termed the Oceanic Vehicle Deep Sea IntraFissure Origins Explorer (OVIDSIFOE). Additionally known as The Genesis Explorer, or simply EX-GEE.

Dr. Cornelius Barnstone, the proprietor of Barnstone Pharmaceutical, contributed to this endeavor by giving the researchers the maritime vehicle they were looking for. Barnstone designated Dolores Hundley as the captain, and her men served as the crew. The medical community would be amazed by this finding, which might potentially cure hundreds of diseases. If it falls into the wrong hands, it might also be utilized to make lethal weapons. When Carstairs embeds spies in the study team, the mission gets more complicated. Who is Carstairs, and what connection does he have to the most recent findings? Will the team be able to exit the vents on schedule? Read Deeptide...Vents of Fire by Steven Evans and Donald Ray Schwartz.

There were a few aspects of the book that I enjoyed. First, the author's knowledge of biology, marine life, and the military is extensive, making the book extremely educational. Numerous things can be added to the reader's knowledge. The characters' cringe moments, which happened to be my favorite part of the book, were hilarious. I could feel the heat creeping up my cheeks as I reacted to the cringe moments. Jennifer Littleton's sales pitch with Dr. Barnstone was my favorite cringe moment. Jennifer's experience was very relatable in every way. The sudden realization that you haven't heard a clock ticking since your entire stay, the foot twitching, and clumsiness all made me laugh.

However, I had a lot of issues with this book as well. I find it offensive that Jennifer Littleton often had an "if only" attitude toward her friend and coworker, Susan Arthknott. If Susan would just let her hair down, Jennifer believes she would be stunning. If only Susan could improve her posture, Jennifer would think she is stunning. If Susan did this or that, Jennifer would think Susan was attractive. Reading it is dispiriting, and readers might not like it. I could say with certainty that I didn't interpret Jennifer's behavior as sarcastic if that was the author's intention.

Another aspect of this book that I disliked was the authors' writing style. The majority of the time, it was unclear to me. For example, in chapters 3 and 6, Deeptide and Ventide, I barely understood the narrative. The author referred to the character or whatever he was referring to as 'she' because the book was written in the third person. There was no mention of a name anywhere in the chapter. I couldn't figure out who or what he was talking about or what it meant. Schwartz and Evans' descriptions were frequently tricky for me to understand. My main concern was attempting to visualize the description. You can bet it was difficult.

The text was not extensively edited, as evidenced by the many noticeable grammatical and typographical errors. My reading flow wasn't necessarily disrupted, though. Because of my dissatisfaction, I rate Deeptide...Vents of Fire 3 out of 4 stars. I suggest this book to marine life enthusiasts, biologists, scientists, and engineers because it is focused on sea life and the discovery of new life inside the sea.

Deeptide . .. Vents of Fire
View: on Bookshelves
Amy Luman
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: 2084
Bookshelf Size: 1017
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amy-luman.html
Latest Review: Time Before Time by Dan DuBose
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Amy Luman »

The title immediately captured my attention. I can just imagine the suspense and immediacy portrayed by “Vents of Fire”. I am a bit concerned about the number of errors and the character development, but I’ll chance it.
NetMassimo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: The Killing Machine
Bookshelf Size: 428
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: The Ripsons by Joe Morrow
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 40%

Post by NetMassimo »

Despite the flaws you pointed out, the story seems fascinating, exploring a frontier that sometimes is more difficult to reach than space, so I hope the author at least does proper proofreading. Thank you for your great review!
Ciao :)
Massimo

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”