Review of George Hawkins Space Camper

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Blessing Chi Peculiar
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 55
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-blessing-chi-peculiar.html
Latest Review: Maria Tunicka Conductor by James Aiello

Review of George Hawkins Space Camper

Post by Blessing Chi Peculiar »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "George Hawkins Space Camper" by Lee Bissonnette.]
Book Cover
4 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

George Hawkins Space Camper: Past and Present Fear is one of the books in the Space Campers series by Lee Bissonnette. It tells the narrative of an earthling teenager who spends his summer at space camp as a leader of the Red J team. George Hawkins' team was made up of five other members aside from himself, and they were all captained by Pete. When George came home from the last day of school before summer break, he tried to find out the positions of his parents in the space leadership hierarchy, called The CORE, as this information seemed to be top secret. Could George unravel this puzzle? As time progressed, George was in space with his team for a second rotation, and if the first rotation almost had them by the limbs, how would the second rotation turn out? Get the book and find out. Andy, Gus, Emily, Anna, and Sarah, together with George, overcame a meteor attack that landed them in Zalhala at Indus Station, where they continued their training, only to be faced with another challenge: Tinni Heto, a Senior Viceroy of the Thoreans who was supposedly captured by Huntars. Could George and his team save the Viceroy's life and that of the captains and officers? Find out in the book.

I was aware as I was reading this novel that it went beyond the invasions, captures, and rescues. While the primary commitment was on the team, George Hawkins' squad, those were just diversionary incentives and a secondary build. This group of youngsters performed better than was typical for their age and level of experience, working together in a spirit of trust and respect for each other's abilities. Bissonnette also emphasized that being extraordinary is not an easy journey. While fear may be one of the most difficult factors to overcome, an ounce of much-needed support is sufficient to overcome that fear. The triad and senior viceroys supported George and his crew, but more significantly, they supported one another as a team. This book will teach true leadership to everyone who wants to learn how to lead while still relying on others, since even as you read the exciting tales of ships and invasions, the important lessons will infuse your mind with selflessness, knowledge, self-control, and other important lessons. Reading along with the team was great fun for me. 

Emily would be my favorite character if I had to choose just one. Her ideas for computer programs, viruses, and other things regularly astound me. For the Red J Team, her initiative was a huge advantage; to picture the group without her is to imagine summer camp without space. I gave in to her wisdom and assurance. My favorite quote was from Pete when he quoted his senior viceroy grandfather on page 130. He said, "Wisdom comes over time for most, never for some, and for a very few, it comes early." It is the most durable of them all, but if it is not taken care of, it is also the easiest to damage. Every lesson in the book appeared to wind up in yet another adventure. There was plenty of action to keep the reader interested. I appreciated that the book had that.

It was difficult for me to read because I am not a space aficionado. The galactic terminology was too confusing. The narrative voice seemed unsure of itself, and there were just too many characters in each squad to keep track of. Nothing else in the book bothered me. I would like to commend the author for his originality. The book was professionally edited, though I discovered minor errors. I have to admit that I enjoyed the book and learned a few things from their adventures. 

Because of the aforementioned factors, I gave this book a rating of four out of five stars. I like reading the book because it makes me feel as though I belong there. I advise preteens and teenagers to read this book since it has a wealth of information that will be useful to them as future leaders and space enthusiasts.

George Hawkins Space Camper
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Adeolaoskydeelight
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-adeolaoskydeelight.html
Latest Review: Terms of Service by Craig W. Stanfill

Post by Adeolaoskydeelight »

This is a wonderful book, but I think people that are familiar with space terminology. will understand it better. Great review
Oyedeji Funmilayo
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 105
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-oyedeji-funmilayo.html
Latest Review: Man Mission by Eytan Uliel

Post by Oyedeji Funmilayo »

This book sure has an interesting plot. I enjoy reading suspenseful and action packed books and from your review I am sure I will enjoy reading this too. Wonderful review welldone!!!
Jay David Randall
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 42
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jay-david-randall.html
Latest Review: Scrooge's Folly - Saving Jacob Marley by David Jay Weinberg

Post by Jay David Randall »

Reading this review, I think the details of the event of this novel are mixed up and bewildering, I would have to grab a copy myself to uncover the mysteries and action-packed in this novel. I do like sci-fi books though and your review is good but a bit confusing.
"Keep your face always toward the sunshine, and shadows will fall behind you."Walt Whitman :tiphat:
Hubre De Klerk
In It Together VIP
Favorite Author: Jennifer L. Armentrout
Currently Reading: Forged in Death
Bookshelf Size: 476
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hubre-de-klerk.html
Latest Review: Solaris Seethes (Solaris Saga book 1) by Janet McNulty
Reading Device: B075XP6ZZ4
fav_author_id: 3720

Post by Hubre De Klerk »

What an interesting review. This book sounds like an adventure with teachings on how to trust, teammates, and group work can be infused into a solid pact. Space camp also sounds like an amazing and other-world experience.
Park Cherri
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 64
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-park-cherri.html
Latest Review: The Eavesdropper by Peter Wise

Post by Park Cherri »

This is a wonderful story, but the plot is so complex that I don’t understand what is all about. This is not for me. So, I’ll pass.
David Chijindu
In It Together VIP
Favorite Book: Play Golf Better Faster Handbook
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 37
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-david-chijindu.html
Latest Review: Finding Our True Identity by Honey Dee

Post by David Chijindu »

The plot of this book is definitely intriguing. I like reading suspenseful, action-packed books, and after reading your review, I know I'll like this one too. Fantastic review, well done!
Chris Don Nwaka
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chris-don-nwaka.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by Chris Don Nwaka »

Wow, honestly I enjoy reading the book about space. I will definitely look for this book to find out more information on space adventures. Good job.
Emeka Emordi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 57
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-emeka-emordi.html
Latest Review: God is Willing by Charlene Murray

Post by Emeka Emordi »

This will be a captivating thriller as the author explore life in space. I believe I will enjoy it. I wish to know the adventure the kids underwent especially, the role of George in their expedition.
Moo Reny
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-moo-reny.html
Latest Review: American Dream? by Jeoung Lee

Post by Moo Reny »

Wo, I like that this book will teach true leadership to everyone who wants to learn how to lead while still relying on others, and the important lessons that will infuse your mind with selflessness. Great review
Proof Readar
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-proof-readar.html
Latest Review: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures by Catherine A. Pepe

Post by Proof Readar »

The book plot sounds fascinating but the confusing narrative voice and too many characters put me off. Well done on this review.
Mercy Udeokeke
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 66
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mercy-udeokeke.html
Latest Review: Mothers Vol. 1 by Ben Burgess Jr.

Post by Mercy Udeokeke »

A camp in the space sounds intriguing. George sounds like an interesting character. I would love to know more about him in the book. Thank you for the great review.
Chris Walter Mason
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chris-walter-mason.html
Latest Review: Wild World by Peter S. Rush

Post by Chris Walter Mason »

This is a fantastic read, I look space stories so much I think this is my kind of book. Good job on your review.
Sophia Damilola Ajayi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 51
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sophia-d-ajayi.html
Latest Review: Man Mission by Eytan Uliel

Post by Sophia Damilola Ajayi »

The plot is thrilling and interesting. Camping on space? That would definitely be something to look forward to and maybe I could learn a thing or two about space from reading this book!
The review is very well informative and detailed good job!
Grace Elkana
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-grace-elkana.html
Latest Review: Humanity Works Better by Debbie Cohen, Kate Roeske-Zummer

Post by Grace Elkana »

Techy books aren't my thing. Space and science is even out of the picture. However, there seem to be a story weaved into this book that is worth checking out.

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”