Review of Frustrating Fascination

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Roy Nick
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 323
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-roy-nick.html
Latest Review: East of Troost by Ellen Barker

Review of Frustrating Fascination

Post by Roy Nick »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Frustrating Fascination" by Debra Mckenzie.]
Book Cover
4 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

In today’s world, coming out as gay or a member of the LGBT community is no longer a big deal. Day in and day out, we have activists trying to encourage diversity and inclusivity. But what would you do when your husband or wife of many years finally came out to you as gay? Better still, when they left you to begin a same-sex relationship with someone they’ve had a secret affair with for a while?

Debra Mckenzie introduces us to multiple universes in Frustrating Fascination. In one universe, Sean is a manager in a department store. However, he is struggling to understand how his wife, Marina, left him for her best friend, Vanessa. One day after work, Sean goes home, only to find a letter from his wife confessing to being a lesbian. He detests homosexuals!

In another universe, Sean is a junior employee in a department store and is gay. He left his wife, Marina, for her brother, Bruce. Having been best friends and boyhood buddies, they went to the army, and one thing led to another. Will Bruce find a balance between the two contrasting universes?

One thing that stood out was Sean’s contrasting nature in the two universes. In one, he loathes the tiniest thought of homosexuality, let alone being one. On the other universe, he finds men attractive, and even the slightest fascination with Bruce sends shivers down his spine. However, there are two notable constants: he served in the army and was raised by a strict Catholic father. The two elements do not go well with the LGBT community.

I enjoyed the ever-cheerful Bruce. In both universes, nothing lugged him down. He lived his life. He inspired anyone living a closeted life and discouraged denial. There is still time to mend things and live afresh. I liked how Debra showcased the realities of being LGBT in a conservative community. Sometimes, our surroundings and nurturing may impact our views on life’s diversity.

Nonetheless, I noted numerous errors. Hence, I recommend further professional editing. That is the only negative aspect I encountered. Therefore, I rate the book 4 out of 5 stars. In a world full of economic hardships, the least we can do is be non-judgmental and respect people’s lives and decisions. However, even some presidents in the most developed nations are against people living their truths. I recommend Frustrating Fascination to anyone living a closeted life, too afraid to come out.

Frustrating Fascination
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Grace Elkana
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-grace-elkana.html
Latest Review: Humanity Works Better by Debbie Cohen, Kate Roeske-Zummer

Post by Grace Elkana »

I can imagine the dilemma of Sean in the two universes. Having contrasting identities could make it hard to know who one really is. I hope he figures this out.
photosynthesis19
Currently Reading: A Room of One's Own
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-photosynthesis19.html
Latest Review: The Middle Reaches (Episodes 1-8) by L. Andrew Cooper

Post by photosynthesis19 »

This sounds like a very interesting book that touches on some serious and important topics. The multi-universe approach is new to me and sounds exciting. This book is not in the category of books I typically read, but it sounds thought-provoking and relevant, so I might read it in the future. Thank you for the insightful review!
CrossK
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-crossk.html
Latest Review: Re-Making the American Dream by David Vaught

Post by CrossK »

One thing that stood out was Sean’s contrasting nature in the two universes. In one, he loathes the tiniest thought of homosexuality, let alone being one.Great review.
Annas Felix
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-annas-felix.html
Latest Review: Terms of Service by Craig W. Stanfill

Post by Annas Felix »

I like the balance of character behaviors in both universes. For some, their personalities differ across the realms. For others, they remain the same.
Hazel Mae Bagarinao
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 148
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hazel-mae-bagarinao.html
Latest Review: The Sound of Creation by Gabriella Zielke

Post by Hazel Mae Bagarinao »

In a world full of economic hardships, the least we can do is be non-judgmental and respect people’s lives and decisions.
I agree! Let anyone show their true uniqueness. Whoever belongs to LGBT is like us, humans, so we need to treat them fairly. I should say, living in a Golden Rule. This book is so unique since it talks about two universes. I'd like to know Bruce and Debra's life on how they live in truth. Thanks for your interesting review!
Amy Luman
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Time Before Time
Bookshelf Size: 1015
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amy-luman.html
Latest Review: Zona II by Fred G. Baker
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Amy Luman »

It’s too bad about the number of errors in this book. I’ve often thought about and been impressed with the amount of courage that it takes to come out. Especially when faced with the attitudes of so many that are similar to that of Sam in one of the given universes.
kcollins14
Currently Reading: My Enemy in Vietnam
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kcollins14.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by kcollins14 »

I find it interesting that in both universes, Sean is raised as a strict Catholic but in one universe he's gay, but in the first, in which he's homophobic, one could try to point to his upbringing. I like the tension that in one universe he's one people wouldn't instantly like due to being homophobic while the other would be seen in a better light, but both are apparently the same people.
Opara Jerry
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-opara-jerry.html
Latest Review: A Dream For Peace by Dr. Ghoulem Berrah

Post by Opara Jerry »

This book looks quite intriguing and covers some serious and significant subjects. I'm unfamiliar with this approach to the plot, but it seems fascinating. Knowing one's true identity may be difficult if one has conflicting identities and this seems to be the case of the protagonist. Nice one!
Nwoko E
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nwoko-e.html
Latest Review: Cynthia and Dan by Dorothy May Mercer

Post by Nwoko E »

This book is really fascinating. l Mean, I can't imagine sean in one universe despising homosexuality and, on the other hand, being a homosexual. I am definitely going to give this novel a try. Great work!
NetMassimo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: The City We Became
Bookshelf Size: 425
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: The Ripsons by Joe Morrow
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 35%

Post by NetMassimo »

This novel uses the classic theme of the parallel universe to offer food for thought on a sensitive topic making this story intriguing. Thank you for your great review!
Ciao :)
Massimo

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”