Review of Utopia Project

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Anthony__
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 459
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anthony.html
Latest Review: Its Saddest Sound by Pirjo Marjut Vega-Brandt

Review of Utopia Project

Post by Anthony__ »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Utopia Project" by Billy Dering.]
Book Cover
5 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

When the world comes crashing down like a crumbled cookie into a sudden dead stop, a small but iron-determined group arises to the task of re-balancing the fate of humanity against a new world order that appears indestructible. Do they stand a chance? Well, grab a copy of Billy Dering's Utopia Project: The Arrow of Time. The book is the third in the series, and it trails the exhilarating journey of these brilliant minds in a harsh dystopian era.

Similarly to the first book, this story is divided into four essential parts and picks up from book two. The plot threads the journey of General Hyland, Kid, and his group in rescuing an ex-psychologist of the project, Adele Carmelo, and raging war against the enemy's ships. Part One tells the first attack the group faces with a shallow escape from their enemies. Part Two follows the dangerous rescue mission of Adele and her group of ten survivors back to the base and their plans to liberate humanity. Part Three outlays their tactics with heart-wrenching suspense as the little group fight to the death and subdues the enemy ships. In Part Four, a dynamic change rocks the relationship between Sara and her father, causing a cataclysm of events that leads to an unexpected resurface of evil.

Billy Dering is the maestro of the literary world. I've been in full anticipation of book three after the exhilarating review of the first two series, and I'm astounded. He plays his masterpiece with such a mesmerizing mix of intrigue and toe-curling suspense that one stays unequivocally glued to each meticulously written word. The plot structure was neatly drawn and extensively well concocted—building the story to an excellent finish. Characterization was fascinating, as each character moved the plot forward with the interaction of their personalities.

For instance, Sara's personality loathed lies and secrets, and the interplay with that of her father's personality, who kept things hidden because of the 'greater good,' advanced the story with an incredible twist without the author forcing the narrative. We see that exemplified in the scene where she has a big clash with her father. That creates a ripple effect that leads to her kidnap and the death of a profoundly favored character, which is a shocker and a mixed surprise to any reader, as one would think the dust had finally settled. One of my favorite things about this book is that one cannot predict the following action. As I had previously quoted in the second review, this book would make an excellent movie, and I wish the author would consider it.

I fully anticipated the return of Heidi Leer back to the scene with a frightful personality, which kept my hackles up for Sara and Kid. Her unmatched love for Kid and jealousy of Sara transformed her character sorely. The sweet personalities of Kid and Jess to the ones they love were so beautiful to read that I could hardly blame Heidi for her jealousy. They easily won my heart as the best characters in this third series, as I enormously admired their goal-getter, leadership, and highly responsible traits. They also worked so fluidly, like oil on bolts, without friction, that one could sense the deep connection and years of loyalty between them.

I dislike nothing about this book. The exquisite narrative style, fascinatingly threaded plot layers, and the balance between flashbacks and the present were top-notch and spun a gripping tale. I did find a few minor errors, but they didn't distort my reading flow. Therefore, I see no reason not to rate this book 5 out of 5 stars.

In conclusion, this is the last book of the Utopia Project trilogy. With a grand finish, we say goodbye with mixed feelings to these characters that seem like known personalities. This book would be highly suitable for fans of science, futuristic adventure stories with a knack for blood-curdling action.

Utopia Project
View: on Bookshelves
Nwoko E
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nwoko-e.html
Latest Review: Cynthia and Dan by Dorothy May Mercer

Post by Nwoko E »

Billing Derling is the Castro of the literary world. I have been in full anticipation of book three after the exhilarating review of the first two series, I'm astounded. Great review.
Giovana Arévalo
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-giovana-ar-valo.html
Latest Review: Chrome Mountain by Ben Schneider

Post by Giovana Arévalo »

Wow. Haven't read the book, or any work by this author, but your review made me curious about it. Great review, thank you!
NetMassimo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: The City We Became
Bookshelf Size: 425
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: The Ripsons by Joe Morrow
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 35%

Post by NetMassimo »

From book one, this seemed like en engaging series that keeps the readers' attention until the end and at the same time addresses some important issue about our present and future. No that the trilogy is complete, I guess I have no excuses not to read it. Thank you for your great review!
Ciao :)
Massimo

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”