Review of Brog the Stoop

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Eva Nyaburi
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: In It Together
Bookshelf Size: 156
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-eva-nyaburi.html
Latest Review: Master Your Mind and Energy to Heal Your Body by Brandy Gillmore

Review of Brog the Stoop

Post by Eva Nyaburi »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Brog the Stoop" by Joe Boyle.]
Book Cover
5 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

The Stoops in the land of Drabwurld are in danger because they are frequently attacked by their vicious enemies, the Gorks. The only time the Gorks can emerge is during the Blacktime when the land is completely enveloped in darkness. The Stoops were able to survive for a long time because Dayspans were longer than Blacktimes, but as times changed and something affected the source of light, the darkness time increased. The Gorks, who prowled the area, destroying and killing anything they came across, benefited from this. To save his people from extinction, Brog is committed to tracking down the source of light and curing it of its ailment. The Stooplord, Klan, supports his decision and wishes him well. The kingdom is in danger, and Brog, a young stoopling who hasn't even reached adulthood but is brave and determined, is their only hope. Unknown to them, the leader of the Gorks, Redeye, has also set out to track down the light's source and make sure it vanishes forever. Who will be the first to the source, and will it already be too late for the Stoops and others who are under Gork's attack at all times?

The author's descriptions were one aspect of the book that I thought was good as I could picture the Drabwurld and its inhabitants. I also adored the concept of neighborliness and friendship. I was touched by the relationship that Brog had with his close friend, Planimal. In terms of their physical attributes and even where they came from, these two were different. Despite their language barrier and other obstacles, they were able to communicate and support one another. Planimal was willing to go with Brog on his dangerous mission.

I admired Brog's good nature and heart, which led to him making friends with the majority of people and living creatures he encountered. Jed was a great person with a willingness to help others, even if it meant risking his life. He, Planimal, and Brog consistently came to each other's aid, which, in my opinion, is the essence of true friendship. Friendships are always beneficial for people, even though they are so different and come from different backgrounds and places. The suspense that was created in this book was yet another amazing feature. Since the Gorks were determined to create havoc in the land and destroy everyone's homes, I was excited to read the story and learn what happens to the rest of the Drabwurld. I loved each of the adventures and always felt like I was accompanying the characters on their journeys.

I could find nothing wrong with the book. I was very taken with the author's straightforward and interesting writing style. I adored the characters he created and the way he portrayed them in Drabwurld. The plot was well-structured, and even the villains were well-developed; I could feel how they affected the plot and found that to be a nice touch.

I rate Brog the Stoop by Joe Boyle 5 out of 5 stars. The book was professionally edited because I only discovered a few mistakes. I recommend this book to lovers of adventure stories. When it comes to providing exciting adventures, this book does not fall short.

Brog the Stoop
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
NetMassimo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Exit Strategy
Bookshelf Size: 429
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: The Ripsons by Joe Morrow
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 41%

Post by NetMassimo »

This novel uses some classic tropes of the fantasy genre and I see that the author explores various themes in a sophisticated plot with well-constructed characters. Thank you for your great review!
Ciao :)
Massimo

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”