Review of Tourist Trapped

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Mercy Udeokeke
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 66
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mercy-udeokeke.html
Latest Review: Mothers Vol. 1 by Ben Burgess Jr.

Review of Tourist Trapped

Post by Mercy Udeokeke »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Tourist Trapped" by J. B. Velasquez.]
Book Cover
5 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

Tobias thinks he is a loser. His wife, Everly, a best-selling author, and he are divorced. Despite this, the divorce process went smoothly thanks to his wife's payment of his student loans and other bills. Additionally, Everly put him in touch with a technical writing job, which he despises but must have to pay his bills. Tobias has always had low self-esteem and has never been successful in anything he attempts. This includes the book he began eight years ago but has yet to finish. Tobias later developed an affection for Mia, a barista who works at a coffee shop near his workplace. Unfortunately, something strange happened one day that rocked his world. Tobias was taken to the in-between, also known as the afterlife. His body is in a coma on Earth, but his consciousness is in the hereafter. This implies that he is not dead but rather lives in both universes. How will his consciousness be able to return to his body? To find out, read this fascinating story.

Tourist Trapped by J. B. Velasquez is an intriguing story that will keep you on the edge of your seat as you wait for the next scene to unfold. The book depicts a realm of mystery and wonder. The author's depiction of the afterlife is an intriguing and amusing concept. That made me laugh out loud as I read the tale. The book offers significant ideas that provided me with deep insight and gave me shivers while reading. The concept of insecurity is one of the book's themes. This is evident in Tobias' life. He believes he will never amount to anything worthwhile. He lacks confidence and zeal to accomplish anything. His fears blinded him to the reality of the world and the people around him. Even with frequent therapy, he couldn't see reality, and he needed to know. But this is something that only he can discover. Tobias believes he is an adult infant who can never accomplish anything worthwhile. The protagonist's character was superbly developed by the author by exhibiting a variety of views that apply to everyday human behavior.

What I liked best about the book was the author's depiction of the afterlife. This was funny to me since the author portrayed the world in the hereafter in a way that is similar to living on Earth. It was amusing to see that Uber exists in the afterlife. What got me cracking was when Tobias wondered if the Uber Corporation on Earth was aware of their afterlife branch. The author did an excellent job with his writing style throughout the book. His inventiveness in weaving the plot, injecting humor, and dragging the readers into his world is amazing.

I have no complaints regarding the book. There are numerous moral lessons to be gleaned from this fantastic story. Never have I read a science fiction story that had so many life truths. I, therefore, awarded the book five out of five stars.

The book is exceptionally well edited. I discovered no errors in it. The book contains a strong use of profane words that some readers might find off-putting. I recommend this book to lovers of science fiction and fantasy.

Tourist Trapped
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Adeolaoskydeelight
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-adeolaoskydeelight.html
Latest Review: Terms of Service by Craig W. Stanfill

Post by Adeolaoskydeelight »

I credit the author's writing style, it's indeed exceptional. I would like to know if Tobias was able to overcome his greatest fear. Fascinating review
ndombilindah
Currently Reading: Grim Knights (The Grim Chronicles Book 1)
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ndombilindah.html
Latest Review: Wild World by Peter S. Rush

Post by ndombilindah »

I've always wondered what it is like to exist in the afterlife and what to expect. Never have I ever thought of an uber, though; great review. I am eager to read this.
Amy Luman
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Time Before Time
Bookshelf Size: 1015
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amy-luman.html
Latest Review: All the Targets by Noah Bond
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Amy Luman »

I think that his will be a great book. Tobias seems to have a myriad of problems, not the least of which is his lack of self-confidence. Surely things are not as bad as they seem to him.
Temi Book
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 75
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-temi-book.html
Latest Review: Black Wing Sky by Kaylin McFarren

Post by Temi Book »

This is an interesting review. Even though the main concept of the book sounds serious, the author tried to make it sound mild and fun to read. Well done!
Jay David Randall
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 42
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jay-david-randall.html
Latest Review: Scrooge's Folly - Saving Jacob Marley by David Jay Weinberg

Post by Jay David Randall »

This is an interesting story to read about, I would love to know what happened to Tobias when he returned to his consciousness. Nice review.
"Keep your face always toward the sunshine, and shadows will fall behind you."Walt Whitman :tiphat:
Precious Anavheoba
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: Bright Expanse
Bookshelf Size: 50
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-precious-anavheoba.html
Latest Review: Stage Fright by John Gore

Post by Precious Anavheoba »

I like that the author put so much work into character development and narrative style. I also like that there are also numerous moral lessons to learn from here.
Oyedeji Funmilayo
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 105
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-oyedeji-funmilayo.html
Latest Review: Man Mission by Eytan Uliel

Post by Oyedeji Funmilayo »

Everly seems like a good woman with all she did for Tobias. I enjoyed reading your book and look forward to reading the book. Well done!!!
NetMassimo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Flinx's Folly
Bookshelf Size: 419
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: Three Bullets by Charles Alexander
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 26%

Post by NetMassimo »

This is a fascinating supernatural mystery that seems to have a comedy element and at the same time addresses serious issues. Thank you for your great review!
Ciao :)
Massimo
Ekaete Bruno
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 37
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ekaete-bruno.html
Latest Review: The Date Farm by Jack Winnick

Post by Ekaete Bruno »

Without any doubt my favorite character in this book is Tobias's wife. She's such an understanding woman and not everyone woman is like that.

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”