Review of The Bridge to Magic

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Ngozi Onyibor
Member of the Month
Favorite Book: Sugar & Spice
Currently Reading: The Wizard of Fire
Bookshelf Size: 174
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ngozi-onyibor.html
Latest Review: Devine Enquiries by Martin Hull

Review of The Bridge to Magic

Post by Ngozi Onyibor »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Bridge to Magic" by Alex Thornbury.]
Book Cover
4 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

Humans and the gods and guardians of magic have lived in peace for ages until an unfounded fear of magic and its carriers caused a war between them. So Syn'Moreg, Lord of the Abyss, sundered the world into two and gave one half to magic and the other half to humans. All was well in the human world again for a while until an ever-approaching blight began wiping out everything in its path. Humans, plants, and animals, the invisible plague spared none. Terren is the only human community standing between the blight and The Bridge to Magic.

The years spent hustling to earn her keep on the streets of Terren, like her fellow orphans, have trained Elika to spot those on their way to take the bridge to their uncertain end. But on this particular night, she was especially sick of the bridge and everything and everyone it had taken from her and her community after she watched it claim its latest victim. Like many residents of Terren who were socialized to detest magic, she believed magic and anything with an atom of it was responsible for all their woes. So her anger led her to stab the bridge with a dagger. But instead of not budging as it had always done, it did something it had never done before: it bled. What does this mean for her and the future of Terren?

One of the best qualities of The Bridge to Magic is how well the author juxtaposes the best and worst of humanity. From the orphans who scavenge for food and share whatever they find with their pack of fellow orphans to the nobility living in the Golden Circle who hoard food that can feed the whole country for years, the story is rife with portrayals of what humanity could be and what it is.

The characters are another appealing element of the book. Their behaviors show the duality of human nature; people are rarely all good or all bad. Mite, for example, cares deeply for his pack members and works hard to protect them, especially Elika, and wouldn't hurt any of them. However, he isn't above doing morally reprehensible things to others. Despite his flaws, I utterly loved the texture of Mite's character. He is brilliant, practical, and can hold his own against anyone. But, sadly, he didn't have a dedicated story arc.

Though I like the novel, I have a grouse with its narrow focus. The story has several characters, but the author, Alex Thornbury, centered the story on Elika. Whenever other characters were featured, it was usually related to her interactions with them. As a result, a significant portion of the novel is filled with her angst about everything going on in her life and community, which can get a bit exasperating after a while. If the author had given the other characters their own stories, it would give the reader a break from the main character, making the story richer and more diverse. Since this is the first book in the Sundered World series, I'm hoping the narration in subsequent installments will shed light on the unique experiences of more characters.

I enjoyed reading the book, but I wish the other characters had gotten more attention. And that is the only reason I'm rating the book 4 out of 5 stars. Although I noticed some errors, the editing has a clean, professional feel. I recommend the book to readers that love fantasy novels with a healthy dose of magic.

The Bridge to Magic
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Monale Bariyima Ueh
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-monale-bariyima-ueh.html
Latest Review: Final Act by Van Fleisher

Post by Monale Bariyima Ueh »

We tend to fear what we do not understand. And this fear divides us. Just like the fear of magic divided the humans, the gods and the guardians of magic in this novel.
Ebele Ekelobi
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 81
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ebele-ekelobi.html
Latest Review: My Life as a Cryptocurrency by April Lee

Post by Ebele Ekelobi »

Fantasy novels with a touch of magic will be a great combination. I'd love to have a feel of that. This is a great review.
NetMassimo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Flinx's Folly
Bookshelf Size: 419
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: Three Bullets by Charles Alexander
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 26%

Post by NetMassimo »

Despite the flaws you pointed out, a fantasy novel that explores the real merits and flaws of human beings seems interesting. Thank you for your great review!
Ciao :)
Massimo
JkReviewer17
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-najibullah-qanit.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: The Fires of Virko by Matthew Tysz

Post by JkReviewer17 »

As a fan of fantasy novels, i really want to read this book. Amazing Review!
Ery Hatman
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Ery Hatman »

At first I found the book kind of confusion but as time went by I realised that it's true meaning was revolving around the way we treat each other... Its a good book but maybe not for my style I couldn't finish it since I got bored along the journey

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”