Review of The Alien

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Nzube Chizoba Okeke
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 442
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nzube-chizoba-okeke.html
Latest Review: Chrome Mountain by Ben Schneider

Review of The Alien

Post by Nzube Chizoba Okeke »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Alien" by Daniel Wescott.]
Book Cover
4 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

The Alien by Daniel Wescott followed Michael Forbes, a test pilot, and his journey into space. "The Observatory" developed a new "Space Jump Gate" program that could warp space, and with their "Effectively Faster Than Light" (EFTL) drive, it could propel a spaceship faster than the speed of light. Michael was excited to be the first pilot to test the new technology, even though he would miss Lizzie, his girlfriend. The jump had been simulated hundreds of times, but it was not without its risks, especially as Michael was going through the launch gate, knowing that the second gate for his return could be catastrophic. Behind the scenes were heavy politics, as schemes were already in place to claim rights to resources that might be found on Kepler-186f, the planet Michael was going to visit. When the "Space Jump Gate" program became a matter of human survival, someone must step up to save humanity from destruction.

The story was narrated in simple language, punctuated by many strong profanities. Still, the simplicity made the story easy to follow, which also extended to the complex plot. The story had a few subplots that added flavor to it, and a couple of them could be built into independent plots because of their unique development in the book.

The book had some moments of mild intrigue and suspense. These moments were not off-the-roof, breath-holding moments, but they were enough to keep the story exciting and the readers reading to the end. The author introduced a new world with unique characters and life. Readers might see a slight similarity between some parts of the story and the movie Gulliver's Travels. By the way, the ship used by Michael was called Gulliver. Also, some impressive technological and scientific advancements formed the story's background, which was understandable since the story was set in 2072.

The characters were diverse and had stories of their own that made them distinct. The characters contributed mainly to the story's intrigue. A rush came with following characters that all seemed to have hidden agendas and ulterior motives — even the innocent ones were not so innocent. However, one thing was sure in this book, everyone with a hidden plan had something coming for them, which added an exciting unpredictability to the plot. On the individual characters, Michael was an interesting subject to observe. His reactions to events were humorous and on the emotional side. His character evoked quite some pity. Lizzie was another character whose development was surprising, and I'd love to see how that would eventually play out in the next installment.

The story in this book was familiar — it was entertaining, and I enjoyed it. However, I felt the plot was unnecessarily drawn out, following long, essay-like narrations. This primarily occurred with Michael's character as readers were privy to his every thought and mental deliberations. It became a tad too much at some point. Even more saddening was that after the long read, readers were given no resolutions as the book ended on a cliffhanger.

Overall, the book was 'okay' and had good moments. It was professionally edited. I'd recommend it to fans of science fiction and narratives that project into the future. Finally, I'd rate The Alien four out of five stars. I deducted one star because of the unnecessarily drawn-out plot.

The Alien
View: on Bookshelves
AllTooWell
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alltoowell.html
Latest Review: Unlight by Chandra Shekhar

Post by AllTooWell »

I do not know much about the physics that goes into traveling into space, but this book seems to perfectly understand it. Nor have I ever thought it possible to create something that travels faster than the speed of light. I cannot imagine what Michael went through during this project and visiting Kepler-186.
Mark Elong
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3

Post by Mark Elong »

I would be happy to review THE ALIEN by Daniel Wescott for you. After reading this science fiction novel, I found myself absorbed in the gripping story. The story focuses on the mysterious extraterrestrial creature that suddenly appears on a space station, bringing chaos and destruction with it. The characters in the book are well developed and the plot is intense and fast-paced..
The use of vivid descriptions, interesting characters, and suspenseful plot points make this book an exciting read. As readers learn more about the alien and its mission, they are taken on a thrilling journey of discovery. The author also does an excellent job of exploring themes such as humanity, technology, morality, and the power of choice. All in all, The Alien is a stellar example of science fiction storytelling and I highly recommend it.
The Alien explores the consequences of humanity's unchecked ambition and its implications for the rest of the galaxy. It follows the story of a mysterious alien being that has been sent to Earth seeking knowledge and power. As the alien traverses the planet, it makes surprising discoveries that challenge its preconceptions about our world and its inhabitants. Along the way, readers are drawn into a thrilling journey of exploration and adventure as the alien learns about humanity and its beliefs.
As the alien continues to explore, it finds that humans are divided by a variety of cultural, economic, and ideological differences, and that not everyone is as welcoming of its presence as it had hoped. Conflict and tension arise, and the alien must grapple with difficult questions about acceptance and justice as it attempts to forge a new path forward in its relationship with humanity.
The alien must also weigh its own hopes and dreams against the reality of the world, grappling with questions of morality, relativism, and identity. It must decide in a thoughtful and ethical way how to navigate the various pathways that open up. It must learn to seek out commonalities and understand different perspectives in order to find a balance between its own needs and the needs of humans.
Jeff Kanda
Currently Reading: Dreams Are to Be Lived
Bookshelf Size: 59
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jeff-kanda.html
Latest Review: Philosophy from the Mud by Erik Quisling
2024 Reading Goal: 20
2024 Goal Completion: 20%

Post by Jeff Kanda »

If it is about traveling to space, i think the storyline is amazing. Thanks for the brief review!
Mahmoud Riyad
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Mahmoud Riyad »

I know much about the physics that goes into traveling into space, but this book seems to perfectly understand it. Nor have I ever thought it possible to create something that travels faster than the speed of light. I can imagine what Michael went through during this project and visiting Kepler-186.
Opara Jerry
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-opara-jerry.html
Latest Review: A Dream For Peace by Dr. Ghoulem Berrah

Post by Opara Jerry »

I know for a fact that this is the kind of storytelling that keeps me reading on! I’ll add this to my bookshelf because I’m such a tech nerd and I’m curious to see how they sort out these sci-fi problems with space and EFTL traveling.
MALAK DAIBES
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by MALAK DAIBES »

First I will talk about the most catchy title that attracted me to read this fantastical book. Saying that this book is wonderful is not enough to describe the real wonder that it contain (best for the best) nothing is better than reading and learning about new things that will inspire you ,give you ideas, help your creative mind with the most creative book.
Domeseo Camus Meda
Currently Reading: The Stealthy Viral Pimpernel
Bookshelf Size: 195
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-domeseo-camus-meda.html
Latest Review: The Beautiful Business by Steven Morris

Post by Domeseo Camus Meda »

I find the book very interesting it talks to us about many interesting things. :techie-studyingbrown: :techie-studyinggray: :techie-studyingbrown:
NetMassimo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Flinx's Folly
Bookshelf Size: 419
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: Three Bullets by Charles Alexander
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 26%

Post by NetMassimo »

This novel has some interesting ideas but I'm not too keen on plots that become overstretched. Regardless, thank you for your great review!
Ciao :)
Massimo

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”