Review of Struck: Born from the Storm

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Jay David Randall
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 42
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jay-david-randall.html
Latest Review: Scrooge's Folly - Saving Jacob Marley by David Jay Weinberg

Review of Struck: Born from the Storm

Post by Jay David Randall »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Struck: Born from the Storm" by T.J. Miller.]
Book Cover
5 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

Struck: Born from the Storm by T.J. Miller is an African American historical fiction that sets out a tale of black people and how they set up protests to fight for their civil and human rights.

Struck: Born from the Storm depicts the tale of extraordinary phenomena that occur to specific black men and women, ones I would call the chosen ones who stood up for the freedom of black society from slavery. This novel is segmented into five parts. The first part dates back to the eighteenth century and talks about the story of Hakim, a Yoruba man on the run with his village comrades away from Captain Barn's army. The ending part of this novel brings the reader to the twenty-first century, 2020 specifically, and talks about the story of Sean, a black negro who destroys government properties. What will this newly found power yield? Will these black people use this power to benefit their society? Grab a copy of the novel Struck: Born from the Storm by T.J. Miller to learn more.

What I found most appealing about this book was the character development the author employed in it. He gave each major character a unique experience with the storm, a purpose to fight for, and a unique power to hold onto. My favorite character in the novel was Hakim. His ability to be a warrior, a friend, and a brother who will do what is right no matter the circumstances he finds himself in—another point I loved was when Simone and Miles found love in themselves, despite their differences.

There is nothing I disliked about this novel. Every chapter had something new to offer, and my curiosity to know what would happen next grew. Struck: Born from the Storm by T.J. Miller elicits an emotional response from the reader, as I experienced sadness when a particular race of people was treated like animals because of the complexity of their skin. And I experienced joy when specific people were given powers to defend and protect these people.

I will give this novel a rating of 5 out of 5 stars because I enjoyed reading it and there is nothing I disliked about this book. I would also state that the book has been exceptionally well edited, as I encountered neither grammatical nor typographical errors in my process of reading this book.

I will recommend this novel to readers of fiction, adventure, historical fiction, and politics, as these are themes employed in the novel by the author, T.J. Miller. I will recommend this book to adult readers as the use of profane words is excessive and ferocious acts are described in the novel.

Struck: Born from the Storm
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
"Keep your face always toward the sunshine, and shadows will fall behind you."Walt Whitman :tiphat:
Kehinde Hussein
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 65
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kehinde-hussein.html
Latest Review: Deadly Waters: The Vietnam Naval War And Its Aftermath by Randy Miller

Post by Kehinde Hussein »

Seeing black at first made me think the book was peculiar to black Americans; but seeing Hakim, a Yoruba man, made me think otherwise. It is often fascinating seeing blacks rise through the struggles and odds and fight back to get their bearings in the society. Informative review I must admit.
Hazel Mae Bagarinao
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 148
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hazel-mae-bagarinao.html
Latest Review: The Sound of Creation by Gabriella Zielke

Post by Hazel Mae Bagarinao »

All colors are equally important. I hope skin color is fairly seen in society as well because some people judge by just the color of their skin. I am happy that Black people prove and raise from all the discrimination of the past. Thanks for your informative review!
"Less is more." ~ Ludwig Mies Van Der Rohe
Park Cherri
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 64
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-park-cherri.html
Latest Review: The Eavesdropper by Peter Wise

Post by Park Cherri »

Wow! This is amazing. I was first intrigued by the theme of racism against the black, and was surprised by the mention of the Yoruba man. This will be an interesting book. Nice review!
Flourish Sunday
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-flourish-sunday.html
Latest Review: 9 Rules to Dominate Your Money and Learn What 67% of Adults Don’t Know by Finley Lewis

Post by Flourish Sunday »

Struck is one of the book I believe will encourage Blacks not to give up on the field of success. I admire how the author explains each of the scenes. Good job.
Amanda Warner
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amanda-warner.html
Latest Review: The Magic of Gluten-Free Cooking by Julia Matto

Post by Amanda Warner »

I love it when people stand up and fight for their rights and freedom. I also loved how Simone and Miles, despite their differences, found love in each other, even though I didn't know the differences they had.
Domeseo Camus Meda
Currently Reading: The Stealthy Viral Pimpernel
Bookshelf Size: 195
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-domeseo-camus-meda.html
Latest Review: The Beautiful Business by Steven Morris

Post by Domeseo Camus Meda »

I find the book very interesting it talks to us about many interesting things.
Onyeso Njoku
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-onyeso-njoku.html
Latest Review: Devil Among Us by Jack Winnick

Post by Onyeso Njoku »

I enjoyed your review I hope they utilize the power to liberate themselves from slavery and captivity. Nice review.
Ekaete Bruno
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 37
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ekaete-bruno.html
Latest Review: The Date Farm by Jack Winnick

Post by Ekaete Bruno »

This book is a wonderful read as it brings to focus a mixture of romance, action and thriller. Mo reader would read this without loving it.
3mperor
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 37
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-3mperor.html
Latest Review: Final Notice by Van Fleisher

Post by 3mperor »

Wow! Such a brilliant review on this book, gave me lots of insights and left me intrigued to get my copy! Can’t wait !
Precious Anavheoba
Currently Reading: Bright Expanse
Bookshelf Size: 50
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-precious-anavheoba.html
Latest Review: Stage Fright by John Gore

Post by Precious Anavheoba »

One major thing that makes a narrative exceptional after suspense is character development and it is a great tool employed by this author. Your review is quite good.
Success Azuka
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 35
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-success-azuka.html
Latest Review: McDowell by William H. Coles

Post by Success Azuka »

I will say this book will make a great movie if I were to judge by the book's cover. I like the suspense you created in your review. I will love to read about this Hakim myself. Thabks for an intriguing review.
Jay David Randall
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:

Hazel Mae Bagarinao wrote: 10 Feb 2023, 02:05 All colors are equally important. I hope skin color is fairly seen in society as well because some people judge by just the color of their skin. I am happy that Black people prove and raise from all the discrimination of the past. Thanks for your informative review!
Yes, I hope so too, and I am glad for the black movement as well. I only pray God grants them more strength to fight the good fight. Thank you for leaving a comment.
"Keep your face always toward the sunshine, and shadows will fall behind you."Walt Whitman :tiphat:
Jay David Randall
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:

Success Azuka wrote: 18 Feb 2023, 23:27 I will say this book will make a great movie if I were to judge by the book's cover. I like the suspense you created in your review. I will love to read about this Hakim myself. Thanks for an intriguing review.
Yes, you will enjoy the novel. Thanks for dropping a comment, it is much appreciated.
Jay David Randall
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:

3mperor wrote: 18 Feb 2023, 12:26 Wow! Such a brilliant review on this book, gave me lots of insights and left me intrigued to get my copy! Can’t wait !
I assure you, it is a novel worth your time. Thanks for dropping your comment.

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”